Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 11:53 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

For some people, wheat is a big trigger as it acts as an appetite stimulant and creates inflammatory issues that include water retention. So, not all calories are created equal, quality of the sources of the calories and where they come from matter alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 01:07 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
She's much taller than average and will carry a little bit of "extra" weight quite well and be healthy.

There are many different theories of how much people should weigh given their hgt and build. When we use a computer-generated BMI calculator for example, how does the algorithm know what genetic and psychological factors contribute to an individuals inherited weight range.

I wonder why you are clearly quite invested in "helping" her lose weight. It's an individual thing. She might want to lose it because she feels unattractive. You can help her by telling her she is beautiful just the way she is thereby boosting her self-esteem. Obviously you like her very much the way she is.

Live life. Be happy.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:09 PM

310 posts, read 323,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If it concerns you, just don't do it. But I gotta comment, isn't that what vegans do; eliminate a food group? Is that unhealthy, too, ya reckon?
Lewis & Clarke went almost a full year eating just meat. Only lost one man, probably due to appendicitis.
For every successful vegan you could name, I could name a successful Carnivore - some lasting for years.

At any rate it has worked for me. Took about 4-5 weeks to get the Christmas weight off.
BP: 128/75.
Cholesterol: 118 as of last week, 3/21.
No other blood issues.
A vegan diet is a much more healthy approach. And it is much more sustainable. I am not a vegan, I am an omnivore. But a diet rich in meats is just not tenable for most people.
Lewis and Clark also foraged.
I can name many, many vegans. I cannot name any one who went on this crazy meat diet and lasted any time at all.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:10 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If it concerns you, just don't do it. But I gotta comment, isn't that what vegans do; eliminate a food group? Is that unhealthy, too, ya reckon?
Lewis & Clarke went almost a full year eating just meat. Only lost one man, probably due to appendicitis.
For every successful vegan you could name, I could name a successful Carnivore - some lasting for years.

At any rate it has worked for me. Took about 4-5 weeks to get the Christmas weight off.
BP: 128/75.
Cholesterol: 118 as of last week, 3/21.
No other blood issues.
Clarke died when he was only 68 years old. Meriwether Lewis was shot to death before he turned 40.

The average life expectancy in early 1800's was under 40 years. There is no such thing as a human carnivore. Just like there's no such thing as an herbivore.

An herbivore should not be confused with vegans. A vegan is a human who CHOOSES to eat plant-based foods exclusively, and shuns leather or other animal hides, and any other animal-derived products. An herbivore is an animal whose digestive system can't process flesh-based foods efficiently, and therefore thrive ONLY on a plant-based diet. A carnivore is an animal whose digestive systems cannot process plant-based matter efficiently, and therefore thrives on a flesh-based diet. There is no word used for humans who only eat meat, there is no "meat-eater" version of a "vegetarian."

Carnivore, omnivore, and herbivore refer to biological function.

Vegetarian and vegan refer to human dietary choice. Humans are omnivores, regardless of what they -choose- to eat.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:39 PM

7,568 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Pay for a Dexa Scan. It will show Fat % Muscle % Lean % and it will show maintenance calories. She's probably going to need to do some intermittent fasting (and research water fasting / snake diet), etc. I like Jason Fung and Alan Goldhammer on YouTube for water fasting education.

Old 04-30-2022, 02:23 PM

761 posts, read 447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The carnivore diet works great for carnivores.

Human beings are omnivores. We REQUIRE more than meats, fats, proteins, to maintain a healthy body. Our digestive systems are not designed to maintain a carnivorous diet. Our teeth are not designed to maintain a carnivorous diet.

We are not herbivores - our bodies are not designed to maintain a 100%-vegan diet (which is why vegans usually end up supplementing).

We are omnivores. Our bodies process nutrition MOST efficiently by consuming nutrients from a variety of sources, not just from animal products.
I've been exactly the same healthy weight regardless of whether I ate as an omnivore, vegan or vegetarian.
My BMI is generally between 18 and 19. So I learned a long time ago that You can be a healthy weight with any of those 3 choices.

I came to favor veganism/vegetarianism in my older years as I learned more about the health aspects. One thing I learned is that meat is not a health food. A person can get all the nutrients they need from a plant based diet except B12, and that's not a big deal.

Old 04-30-2022, 02:43 PM

761 posts, read 447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVB18 View Post
She's working out 4-5 times a week, eating really healthy and the number on the scale just simply will not go down. I've spent a ton of time with her - we were together all day sunday. She eats 2 meals a day of around 500-700 calories. We eat nothing but natural stuff - meat, veggies, quality fats (peanut butter, avocado), a little bit of rice and potatoes - no bread, no processed stuff. We do have a cheat meal on Saturday but 95% of our other meals are pretty clean. She eats 2 meals a day - we've measured all the meals, it's always around 500-700 calories each (typically something like 4 oz chicken, little avocado, little rice).

This week she has been really great dieting and going to gym - she weighted 200 lbs on monday and today she's 203 (she's 5'10 and has a decent amount of muscle). WTF can I do to help her? Honestly I can eat 30-40% more than her and lose weight. She eats a lot less than me and stays the same or gains weight (I'm 5'10 212 male)

She has sworn to me that she's not cheating or binge eating when I'm watching. She desperately wants to lose weight and even asked me for a tummy tuck. I go to gym with her and she works out very hard

1)Is it possible she just has a horrific metabolism genetically?

2)Could she have ruined her metabolism by dieting? She's prolly like 30% BF and wants to be down to 20%. She was closer to 35% before

3)Could there be something wrong with her hormones/thyroid? What tests do I need to do to figure this out?

4)Should I have her go see a weight loss coach? Her doctor is seemingly not helping her.

edit: I should mention she's gotten results doing Keto but it causes her horrible stomach issues/pooping issues. She's tried twice and it screwed her up both times.
Let's say her metabolism has slowed way down low. That, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. It's actually a good thing. Slower metabolism means slower aging, so it's a plus for longevity.

She's able to work out a lot on a very low calorie diet. In and of itself, that is not a bad thing either because it means her body is utilizing calories extremely efficiently. She's getting loads of energy out of the few calories she's consuming. She's operating at peak efficiency.

You said you can eat more than her and lose weight and that proves one thing. It's not so much what you eat as how your digestive system processes the food. So she might lose weight too if she would supplement with the right probiotics.

And once she gets the right probiotics in her system, a high fiber diet is what will keep them alive and thriving. A high fiber diet means getting about 30 grams of fiber per day from fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds. (Assuming she goes easy on the grains, nuts and seeds.)

That's something you might look into.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 04-30-2022 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-01-2022, 03:27 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Pay for a Dexa Scan. It will show Fat % Muscle % Lean % and it will show maintenance calories. She's probably going to need to do some intermittent fasting (and research water fasting / snake diet), etc. I like Jason Fung and Alan Goldhammer on YouTube for water fasting education.
I think a dexa scan is just for bone density. I didn't get any of that other info when I got one.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:46 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I've been exactly the same healthy weight regardless of whether I ate as an omnivore, vegan or vegetarian.
My BMI is generally between 18 and 19. So I learned a long time ago that You can be a healthy weight with any of those 3 choices.

I came to favor veganism/vegetarianism in my older years as I learned more about the health aspects. One thing I learned is that meat is not a health food. A person can get all the nutrients they need from a plant based diet except B12, and that's not a big deal.
Overprocessed meat analogues with high sodium, artificial coloring and flavoring, is also not healthy food. And yet it's all vegan.

Being vegan is a dietary choice. It is not easily sustainable by humans, because humans are omnivores. There are plenty of vegan choices that are unhealthy. And there are plenty of non-vegan choices that are unhealthy. French fries, fried in vegetable oil, are unhealthy vegan foods enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans alike. There are also overweight vegans, and vegans who are undernourished. There are vegans who have heart attacks, and vegans who have strokes, and vegans who get arrested for committing crimes, and vegans who end up in psych wards of hospitals. Just like everyone else.

You have an agenda that you want to push. You should post in the vegan forum under the food forum, not the health forum. There's nothing magickal about vegan diets.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:59 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Overprocessed meat analogues with high sodium, artificial coloring and flavoring, is also not healthy food. And yet it's all vegan.

Being vegan is a dietary choice. It is not easily sustainable by humans, because humans are omnivores. There are plenty of vegan choices that are unhealthy. And there are plenty of non-vegan choices that are unhealthy. French fries, fried in vegetable oil, are unhealthy vegan foods enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans alike. There are also overweight vegans, and vegans who are undernourished. There are vegans who have heart attacks, and vegans who have strokes, and vegans who get arrested for committing crimes, and vegans who end up in psych wards of hospitals. Just like everyone else.

You have an agenda that you want to push. You should post in the vegan forum under the food forum, not the health forum. There's nothing magickal about vegan diets.
The post after that one is more concerning- that it is not a big deal if someone has a really low metabolism. A person with a low metabolism isn’t going to have much energy to be able to do much. Usually there are reasons why this happens, such as people doing too many unsustainable crash diets or a hormone imbalance. I was watching the documentary on Gwen Shamblin and the Weigh Down and a lot of the people they talked to were extremely overweight. They all mentioned that they were basically starving themselves while in that church, and one said that her metabolism was really slow as a result- even a few years after she left. That sort of starvation diet is simply not going to be healthy for anyone, regardless of the contents- even if it has a well-balanced meal or two, if it’s 500-800 calories, it is not going to be enough. One person in the documentary was a college athlete. That could not have been healthy for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss