Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 01:43 PM

316 posts, read 303,628 times

Advertisements

If you can serve yourself, you could mix 1/2 sweetened tea with 1/2 unsweetened. It would be less sugar than having an entire serving of full-on sweetened tea. Gradually lessen the amount of sweet tea you are using and you'll eventually adapt to drinking unsweetened without a problem.

What about an iced coffee with milk/cream, hold the sugar? Pretty sure I've seen that available in a drive-thru or two.

Personally, we stick with unsweetened tea or water.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 03:24 PM

75 posts, read 65,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
I like diet soda and get it often for myself and elderly mom (she prefers root beer) at the drive through window where it is convenient and cheap...especially the dollar drink specials. However, since studies have shown that diet soda is linked to heart disease, dementia, and increased stroke risk, what is a good non sugar substitute (don't want Diabetes either) drink to get? Trying to break the soda habit...Unsweetened iced tea is pretty boring and not the same, but doable and more healthy. Any other healthier drinks like this to get when at a drive through place?
I think you have the right idea to find a substitution. Unfortunately, drive thru’s don’t have a ton of options besides unsweetened tea or water (which is probably your best option).

An idea is to pick up some bottled Kombucha tea (unsweetened) ahead of time. Here’s one at Walmart that was pretty decent: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Remedy-Or...ttle/608377937

But really there’s many brands out there. Some are going to be better than others (make sure they are unsweetened) but this would be a step in the right direction from soda.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:42 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Again - this OP is talking about getting take-out at the drive-thru. The "benefit" is convenience and low price. But $1 for a diet 12-oz soda is not cheap. He's bringing that food home, where - hopefully he is in possession of a kitchen. And maybe even a refrigerator. Where he could have plenty of healthy alternatives to a cheap $1 diet soda available that cost LESS than $1 per serving. Heck - he could even get that same diet soda in Costco for only $11 for 36 cans of the stuff. That's 30 cents a can.

The OP isn't "trying to break the soda habit" for himself and his mother. He's just looking for an excuse to continue being lazy and making poor FOOD choices (the drive-thru).

Old 03-29-2022, 04:49 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Again - this OP is talking about getting take-out at the drive-thru. The "benefit" is convenience and low price. But $1 for a diet 12-oz soda is not cheap. He's bringing that food home, where - hopefully he is in possession of a kitchen. And maybe even a refrigerator. Where he could have plenty of healthy alternatives to a cheap $1 diet soda available that cost LESS than $1 per serving. Heck - he could even get that same diet soda in Costco for only $11 for 36 cans of the stuff. That's 30 cents a can.

The OP isn't "trying to break the soda habit" for himself and his mother. He's just looking for an excuse to continue being lazy and making poor FOOD choices (the drive-thru).
Please stop wrongly assuming...not lazy at all...are you a caretaker!? It isn't easy taking care of my 87 year old mom...got her root beer today because she likes it. However, I'm getting unsweetened iced tea at mcdonalds on their dollar drink specials...much larger than 12 ounces (senior coffees are only 99 cents too!), and do the fillet o fish fridays some since this location is right next to the harbor where I take her on outings. She does get "meals on wheels" 3 days a week as well which helps out as I do some cooking but not every meal. No excuses at all...getting healthier and when you think about it...at age 87 mom who still drives and does aerobics three times a week can really eat/drink whatever she wants!!

Last edited by Fisherman99; 03-29-2022 at 05:42 PM..

Old 03-29-2022, 04:59 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Duh - drink water.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:56 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Please stop wrongly assuming...not lazy at all...are you a caretaker!? It isn't easy taking care of my 87 year old mom...got her root beer today because she likes it. However, I'm getting unsweetened iced tea at mcdonalds on their dollar drink specials...much larger than 12 ounces (senior coffees are only 99 cents too!), and do the fillet o fish fridays some since this location is right next to the harbor where I take her on outings. She does get "meals on wheels" 3 days a week as well which helps out as I do some cooking but not every meal. No excuses at all...getting healthier and when you think about it...at age 87 mom who still drives and does aerobics three times a week can really eat/drink whatever she wants!!
Seems like reframing the "need" to do this would help OP. In the grand scheme of things, wrestling over the choice of drinks at a drive through doesn't need to be such an issue. If the two of you make other good dietary choices the drive through drink becomes an occasional splurge, not a campaign.

FWIW, I gave up sodas years ago in favor of iced tea, water, or low fat milk. Do I give in to temptation once in a while? Sure, I'm no saint and I don't believe people who claim they are. Just in case I find some restaurant/take-out tea bitter, I keep a couple of cane sugar or sweetener packets handy. As you stop drinking soda it takes less "sweet" to scratch that itch. I've never come across any diet soda I liked and never end up wanting the zero calorie drinks I bring home to try. They just sit on the shelf. Instead, I'll often dilute sweet tea with unsweetened, add a small bit of plain old cane sugar to herbal teas and mix them up myself. Or, one of those flavor drops for plain water. You could experiment to find a flavor she likes. I also buy seltzer water and add a bit of fruit flavor syrup or juice. If you make this struggle too difficult no one will bother with it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-30-2022 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-30-2022, 03:34 PM

313 posts, read 255,463 times
Water is always your best choice. As long as you limit a diet soda or a light lemonade to a handful a week you shouldn't have any adverse health impacts.

Old 03-31-2022, 05:59 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSun25 View Post
Water is always your best choice. As long as you limit a diet soda or a light lemonade to a handful a week you shouldn't have any adverse health impacts.
Depends on what they're using to sweeten that diet soda and light lemonade. An 87 year old woman will have different medical needs - including digestive needs. Certain sweeteners can cause diarrhea.

The "best" option for the OP is also the least expensive option: water.
The next "best" would be fresh juices - diluted with water. Such as FRESH lemonade - not that powdered artificially sweetened crap.

The OP went on -again- about how it's cheap at the drive-thru. "Only" 99 cents for coffee. It costs me only 60 cents to make my own cappuccino every morning, using ground cuban espresso coffee and steamed, frothed milk, with sugar and ground cinnamon powder.

Basically - don't try to be a hypocrite about health, in the same meal that you're giving her 18 grams of fat (4 of which are saturated fats), 38 grams of carbs, 580mg of sodium, and artificial everything /except/ the fish itself. Treat her with the fish and give her the normal soda if that's what she wants. But don't pretend that you want healthier alternatives, and don't claim you want something less expensive. You can get both by simply not bringing her to McDonald's.

Of all the main sandwiches on the McDonalds' menu, the fish sandwich is one of the -least- healthy, ounce for ounce.

Oh and you can make a gallon of unsweetened ice tea for less than 50 cents. If you truly want to save money - you'll just keep some of that in the fridge.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:00 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I get unsweet iced tea and add the stevia I keep in my purse.

Various artificial sweeteners have different effects on your body; stevia and erythritol (most "stevia" from the grocery store are a blend of these) don't have bad effects.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:53 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
A diet soda occasionally wont do you any harm. Going through a drive through and ordering off a junk food menu however will.
Agreed, if you are going to a fast food, the diet soda is the least of your worries.

No matter how healthy the food sounds, it probably isn't since it's deep fried or has a lot of filler ingredients.

So in other words, if this is an occasional fast food meal I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a daily thing, worry about "going to fast food" vs "worrying about diet soda".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss