Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 08:05 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times

Advertisements

Another, larger study confirms earlier results that time-restricted fasting (sometimes called Intermittent Fasting) does not result in significant larger weight loss.

It might benefit people who need a formal regimen for their lower-calorie diets however. No disadvantages to IF were found.

"Among patients with obesity, a regimen of time-restricted eating was not more beneficial with regard to reduction in body weight, body fat, or metabolic risk factors than daily calorie restriction."

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2114833
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 03:32 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
There is nothing about "time restricted intermittent fasting" that is unique to - anything at all. Time restricted intermittent fasting means you can eat only during a specific window lasting between 8-12 hours during a 24-hour period.

Hint: MOST people eat only during a specific window lasting between 8-12 hours during a 24-hour period. If you get up at 7AM and eat something for breakfast before 8, then eat something at noon, and then eat dinner around 6 at night, and don't eat again until the next morning then congratulations - you just ate like a normal American human being and will or will not gain or lose weight based on what you ate - and not the time you ate it.

That is, by definition, time-restricted intermittent fasting. It means nothing, it has no significance. Make sure you digest your food before bedtime. If you go to bed at midnight, then make sure you're done eating by 7 or 8. When you wake up the next morning and eat at 8pm, it means 12 hours will have passed between the time you last ate, and your next meal.

It's not special. It's just normal.

WHAT you eat during those meals matters much more than WHEN you eat it.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:22 PM

211 posts, read 140,124 times
Big deal. You're either running a calorie surplus or a calorie deficit. So what's it gonna be?

Old 04-25-2022, 10:47 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
IF isn't just about weight loss, and it isn't about eating non stop for 8 hours a day.
Typically, you eat one meal, then don't eat anything for 7 hours (or a shorter gap, if you're doing longer fasts), and then you eat another meal and stop for the day. That makes your blood sugars go up and down, instead of maintaining a high level while you snack all day.

If the study let people graze for 8 hours a day (which is how it sounds in the summary), they would get different results than requiring subjects to eat just 2 individual meals with nothing in between. That's supposed to improve insulin response and do all those other good things for your body.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
IF isn't just about weight loss, and it isn't about eating non stop for 8 hours a day.
Typically, you eat one meal, then don't eat anything for 7 hours (or a shorter gap, if you're doing longer fasts), and then you eat another meal and stop for the day. That makes your blood sugars go up and down, instead of maintaining a high level while you snack all day.

If the study let people graze for 8 hours a day (which is how it sounds in the summary), they would get different results than requiring subjects to eat just 2 individual meals with nothing in between. That's supposed to improve insulin response and do all those other good things for your body.
Sounds like a perfect recipe for disastrous blood sugar problems. Forcing your body into spikes and dives is not healthy. Stuffing yourself twice a day is also not healthy.

Eating something shortly after getting up in the morning (known to most people as breakfast), something in the middle of the day (commonly referred to as lunch) and then something in the evening (often called supper or dinner) is normal, and healthy.

No one is suggesting that anyone eat non-stop for 8 hours a day.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:12 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0key View Post
Big deal. You're either running a calorie surplus or a calorie deficit. So what's it gonna be?
Both.

I'm a yo-yo. Gain some over a year or two, lose some over a few months, gain some over a year or two, lose some.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Sounds like a perfect recipe for disastrous blood sugar problems. Forcing your body into spikes and dives is not healthy. Stuffing yourself twice a day is also not healthy.

Eating something shortly after getting up in the morning (known to most people as breakfast), something in the middle of the day (commonly referred to as lunch) and then something in the evening (often called supper or dinner) is normal, and healthy.

No one is suggesting that anyone eat non-stop for 8 hours a day.
You seem to have a strong opinion about this. Are you a doctor, nutritionist, endocrinologist, researcher? I'm not any of those, but I'm relying on that sort of expert advice, and they say that keeping your blood sugar high all the time is what causes problems. You WANT your blood sugar to come all the way down.

I didn't say "stuff yourself" twice a day, I said eat a meal. I usually have green vegetables and protein, because I'm cutting carbs.

And the way I first heard IF described was that you could just eat whatever you wanted for 8 hours.

That's not how it's supposed to work, but the study did not appear to give participants any guidelines except "don't eat outside these hours", and calorie restrictions.

Last edited by steiconi; 04-26-2022 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-26-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You seem to have a strong opinion about this. Are you a doctor, nutritionist, endocrinologist, researcher? I'm not any of those, but I'm relying on that sort of expert advice, and they say that keeping your blood sugar high all the time is what causes problems. You WANT your blood sugar to come all the way down.

I didn't say "stuff yourself" twice a day, I said eat a meal. I usually have green vegetables and protein, because I'm cutting carbs.

And the way I first heard IF described was that you could just eat whatever you wanted for 8 hours.

That's not how it's supposed to work, but the study did not appear to give participants any guidelines except "don't eat outside these hours", and calorie restrictions.
I guess you didn't actually read the study. Or even skim the first couple of paragraphs. Here's the tl;dr for ya, which is the very first paragraph, first and second sentence:

Quote:
We randomly assigned 139 patients with obesity to time-restricted eating (eating only between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.) with calorie restriction or daily calorie restriction alone. For 12 months, all the participants were instructed to follow a calorie-restricted diet that consisted of 1500 to 1800 kcal per day for men and 1200 to 1500 kcal per day for women.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I guess you didn't actually read the study. Or even skim the first couple of paragraphs. Here's the tl;dr for ya, which is the very first paragraph, first and second sentence:
Did you read my post (which you quoted), where I said the guidelines were "don't eat outside these hours", and calorie restrictions.?

The study summary did not say that participants ate healthy food, just a certain number of calories. If you blow all your calories on ice cream, your nutrition is going to suffer.

The abstract also didn't say how participation was monitored. Did the subjects just tell researchers, " Yup, I followed the guidelines"? That kind of study isn't nearly as weighty as one where participants are in a controlled situation where they can't change things up.

I'm not an expert, maybe the studies showing IF to be effective are also flawed. But this particular study doesn't seem to be giving it a fair shot.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:34 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Hint: MOST people eat only during a specific window lasting between 8-12 hours during a 24-hour period.
I don't know about that. I do eat like that, but I've been surprised by how many people eat a late "bedtime snack," or keep something to eat and/or drink by the bed for when they wake up in the middle of the night, and I don't mean just water. I personally don't ever even drink water during the night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss