Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 03:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,009 times

Advertisements

Hi....

I am 33 yrs old and I weigh 130 kgs(very hard to accept). I have tried so many diets and fitness regimes but I always lose track and end up stopping.

I am willing to start all over again but this time around I am determined to achieve my goals.

Any suggestions on diet plans that can work for me are welcome and accountability partners are highly encouraged to begin this journey with me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 05:48 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Are you male or female, and how tall are you? How much do you want or need to lose?

I grew up in a family that morbid obesity runs in. I wasn't one of them, but I grew up around the problem. I had 2 coworkers who were morbidly obese.

If you are that much overweight, that is a different problem that a normal weight loss program won't resolve, IMO. Morbid obesity is different, IMO, from normal weight gain through overeating over a few years.

My mother lost 75 lbs once with Weight Watchers. That was maybe half of what she needed to lose. Then she gained it all back (my father, who had left her, remarried, so she lost hope).

I gained about 30 lbs after I quit smoking years ago. I joined Weight Watchers, then altered the program to fit me better and quit WW to continue it on my own (but tailored more to my liking). It took me 2 yrs to lose all of those 30 lbs.

A coworker who was morbidly obese had the bariatric surgery done. It was unpleasant for her, I'm sure, but she lost down to a thin person. Then her weight bounced back up again (not to where she had been to start), and has gained & lost for years since then. But has never hit the high weight she was when she had that surgery. Her weight gave her back trouble (surgeries), diabetes, knee replacements, and other physical issues.

Another morbidly obese coworker had that band placed around her inside stomach. It didn't work too well. She later did something else, but I don't know what it was. She ended up losing about half of what she wanted to lose. So she was still large, but it was more manageable, and she looked much better. I wish I knew what she did...maybe just a diet?

Overly strict diets - or "diets" of any kind - don't work, IMO (as a person who has been on various diets since the age of 10). Fruit diets, low calorie, protein diets, fasting, you name it.

Someone who is morbidly obese may need medical intervention. That sort of weight problem is different from having gained 20 or 50 pounds from pregnancy or whatever. Especially if the person has been morbidly obese for years.

If you want a diet, I highly recommend Weight Watchers. The thing about Weight Watchers is that it's a well-rounded healthy way of eating that can be tailored to your favorite foods. You can eat just about anything...just not everything and all you want of it. At first the weight comes off rapidly, when you're large, then it slows up a lot. That's a good thing, because it's teaching you a way of eating that you can sustain all your life. By the time I lost my 30 lbs, a rounded healthy way of eating with smaller portions had become my way of life. Still is. As I've aged, I've lost even more weight and am in excellent health (in my late 60s). So I recommend Weight Watchers, incl. going to the meetings and weighing in. It helps to be with others combating the same problem.

I don't recommend a "diet" as such. It's changing your compulsive eating and dietary habits...it's changing a way of life. Weight Watchers has been a good choice for some that I've seen, so I recommend that. However, medical intervention may be necessary for someone who is morbidly obese and has been that way for many years. Growing up around that problem has given me the impression that that is a different issue than just overeating here and there. It involves depression, compulsion, and other things. I have a bit of compulsiveness when it comes to food, as well. So maybe I was just able to control it at a younger age (I went on my first diet at age 10, then a formal diet given me by a dr. at age 12 or so).

The book I used as a child that changed my life: The Air Force Healthy Living Exercise and Diet book. A dr. gave me that. I saved my money & went to a dr. (against my morbidly obese mother's wishes), to lose weight. It changed my life. It was the first time I heard that it was better for me to skip dinner than to eat the spaghetti that Mom had fixed for us. That I shouldn't be eating both hamburgers that Mom would give me...one was all I should eat. Then the book of exercises: easy at-home exercises that I started doing, which started me on a lifelong pattern of mild-moderate exercising.

My 2 morbidly obese sisters: the baby died at 59, after serious health problems for years; my older sister died early 60s after suffering a massive stroke early 50's. Both had diabetes, bad legs from supporting the weight, etc. My morbidly obeses mother died at 68 from a heart attack, having had heart trouble starting in her late 50's.

So Weight Watchers...or medical intervention, depending on how overweight you are and how long you've been overweight. You can do this, if I could. I probably have that morbid obesity thing inside me, but I took control as a child and was able to prevent it. I was gaining weight rapidly, so I did something. I didn't want to have the "family curse." You CAN control it through a health lifestyle. For me, that lifestyle is MAINLY controlling what I eat + mild to moderate activity (if it's too strenuous or takes too long, I won't keep it up...this is for a lifelong way of living). But it's mainly what you eat.

Last edited by bpollen; 06-03-2022 at 06:03 AM..

Old 06-03-2022, 06:32 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missboh234 View Post
Hi....

I am 33 yrs old and I weigh 130 kgs(very hard to accept). I have tried so many diets and fitness regimes but I always lose track and end up stopping.

I am willing to start all over again but this time around I am determined to achieve my goals.

Any suggestions on diet plans that can work for me are welcome and accountability partners are highly encouraged to begin this journey with me.

At 286 lbs (130kgs) you need a nutritionist, a physician, and probably a physical therapist or exercise trainer/coach to help you get your weight in check.

You need to find out what your physical ability is, because you need to exercise and strengthen muscle while you work off fat and learn how to not put more on.

You need to find out if you're diabetic, or have gluten or dairy sensitivities/intolerances that are causing more weight gain than if you were to consume the same calories with different foods.

You need to figure out what you ARE eating, so you can figure out what you should cut back on, eat more of, and eliminate entirely.

There is no individual diet plan that will work for everyone. When you need to lose almost a hundred pounds (or more, you don't mention your height, age, or sex), you need more than just "a diet." You need a lifestyle change.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:39 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Hi,
I presume you are a woman. ("Miss" in your name). Good for you that you'll do this.

If I were you, I would start by introducing a healthy meal one time a day. For instance, you start eating a healthy lunch each day, every day from today until the rest of your life. You prepare it, using fresh ingredients, healthy. And take your time eating it, no distractions.

Next week, you make another change. For instance, start walking/exercising daily for 10 min. Outside if possible, if not, then inside. Dancing, walking in place, light yoga, something that you enjoy doing.

Buy some good quality Cod liver oil (it's a supplement, has Omega 3) and take 1/2 tsp. each evening before you go to bed.

Take care.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
take apple cider vinegar tablets daily

Old 06-07-2022, 07:16 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,309,602 times
The Yale Food Addiction Scale Dr P. Jamnadas MD mentions in his video.

https://www.centrahealth.com/sites/d...tion-scale.pdf

Old 06-07-2022, 07:37 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Thanks for posting all these. That doctor is right!

Old 06-07-2022, 07:22 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missboh234 View Post
Hi....

I found weigh everything I put in my mouth on a scale and meticulously logging it for a few weeks to recalibrate my American-sized portion concepts worked very well. It's not sustainable, way too time consuming, but by weighing out everything and writing it down you do get an idea of what a portion is.

After that just eat sensibly, reasonably clean. Generally Mediterranean or DASH would be where I'd look for if you have no clue how to eat healthy and avoid the fad diets. Weight loss though it doesn't so much matter. Calories are calories, just more people stick with Mediterranean or DASH than fake keto diets, paleo, raw vegan, or other fad diets.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:33 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
The old cliché about making a lifestyle change, as opposed to just dieting, is a big pill to swallow.

But it is very true......you establish a calorie-appropriate way of eating, that works for you, and stick to it at least 90% of the time, you should eventually attain your ideal weight and improve your health.

Now if you go insane when you allow yourself to eat whatever you want, as-in way too much, you could very well wipe-out all the good you do with your regular, healthy eating.

Last edited by tickyul; 06-11-2022 at 07:10 AM..

Old 07-01-2022, 10:16 AM

1,400 posts, read 763,910 times
Many years ago, my Mom saw a woman she knew at a dinner party and Mom told her she looked great and asked her how she lost all the weight and the woman simply said "I eat less". I heard another person say that their method is take the serving of food like you normally would, then cut it in half and put half in the fridge for another meal. I thought that was great! No scales, no charts, no rocket-science. It is very helpful too to put the half-portion on a smaller plate. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss