Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2022, 08:33 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,426,421 times

Advertisements

I broke my arms 2 years back and was in rehab for about a year after. Ever since I have gained weight and even trying multiple times, I'm just not able to get back into it. Its disheartening because I was never this way and always got back into it and lost the weight. Now age is becoming a factor as I'm growing older, metabolism is slowing down as well. My mom is diabetic and if I don't get around this I can be diabetic as well. Sorry for the rant but thought there are people out there I can relate to and can get some tips to get me back in shape.

Thanks in advance all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 08:51 PM

425 posts, read 288,646 times
I have multiple ideas for you:

1. If you have a friend or neighbor that is willing to get together for a walk around your neighborhood or local park.
2. Some parks have exercise paths, and some have exercise stations
3.Check your local bicycle shops and see which one rents bicycles and rent one or buy a bicycle and ride in your local park on the paths, which is the safest.
4. Borrow a neighbor's dog your friendly with or get your own and do walks in your neighborhood or a local park.
3. Many gyms offer a free try outs or a week of trying out. Take advantage of that and just a way to see if you like what they have to offer.
4. Join a gym that has a personal trainer if you can afford it.
5. If you have access to a Smart TV, then go to YouTube and they have tons of exercises on it when you put in a search.

Hope these ideas help you.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:37 AM

10,952 posts, read 7,496,657 times
you can buy your own treadmill, exercise bike, or other equipment and work out at home. This is a good time of year to find them used on craigslist; they go up in price in January, when people are trying to stick to their NY resolutions.

I've always thought it was funny that people drive to the gym to walk on a treadmill...

Old 10-10-2022, 10:56 AM

3,219 posts, read 1,065,637 times
You don't have to buy anything. Just walk in place. Try Leslie Sansone on youtube. Look here, one mile at home in 15 min. Not hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3q5e1pV4pc

Old 10-10-2022, 07:08 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,505,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I broke my arms 2 years back and was in rehab for about a year after. Ever since I have gained weight and even trying multiple times, I'm just not able to get back into it. Its disheartening because I was never this way and always got back into it and lost the weight. Now age is becoming a factor as I'm growing older, metabolism is slowing down as well. My mom is diabetic and if I don't get around this I can be diabetic as well. Sorry for the rant but thought there are people out there I can relate to and can get some tips to get me back in shape.

Thanks in advance all!
Did you break your legs as well? If not, you should've been walking. Or jogging. Or jumping, squatting, situps, seated leg lifts, etc. etc.

One does not need arms to exercise.

I broke the left half of my body (two bones in my arm, my upper thigh-bone, collar bone, ribs) and managed to get exercise once I was out of the hospital.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:12 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,426,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Did you break your legs as well? If not, you should've been walking. Or jogging. Or jumping, squatting, situps, seated leg lifts, etc. etc.

One does not need arms to exercise.

I broke the left half of my body (two bones in my arm, my upper thigh-bone, collar bone, ribs) and managed to get exercise once I was out of the hospital.
This is motivating!

Old 10-12-2022, 01:02 PM
Status: "Thirty-two Ragnars, Two Marathons" (set 1 day ago)

319 posts, read 259,263 times
To lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit. Working out helps some, but not much. If you don't have a lot in the way of motivation right now-I would use what you have to dial in nutrition.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:26 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,733,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
You don't have to buy anything. Just walk in place. Try Leslie Sansone on youtube. Look here, one mile at home in 15 min. Not hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3q5e1pV4pc
There are lots of great walking workout channels on YouTube. I like growwithjo, get fit with Rick, and up to the beat fit. Up to the beat has programs where you can start with 5 minutes and build up to an hour. Jo has a variety but I think she started her channel after she had a baby and was trying to ease back into exercising.

Fwiw I broke an arm about a month ago and it has not stopped me from exercising. I mostly do barre and Pilates classes, which I am doing with heavy modifications, and otherwise sticking with cardio- bikin, hiking, walking. Most workouts don’t require heavy duty arm use to be helpful.

I certainly do not recommend buying anything but basic equipment. To the person who suggested buying equipment, many of us don’t have the room. I use rower, elliptical, stairmaster, bike, and treadmill. Yes, I do have a bike, but I am not riding it in December or February in Illinois. I don’t have the money nor room for that equipment.

Old 10-14-2022, 08:08 AM

12,806 posts, read 15,095,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post

Thanks in advance all!

I'm in a similar boat. Been a gym member since undergrad in college at 18/19 along w/ my parents. I'd work out dilligently, then througout the yrs, there were on/off periods of doing well then sagging out when my scheduled changes w/ work & school.

In 2006-07, finally got a personal trainer & was doing pretty well. Then Dec 2007, ruptured my Achilles tendon. I stopped for a long while, but it got better & I still went to the gym here & there...going pretty well then sagging out. I hadn't gone in a little while, then COVID hit & I hadn't been back since. My membership ended at some point during that anyway.

Have you asked your dr for a nutritionist or dietician in the meantime who you can work w/? I have, but I'm waiting on it.

I assume you're doing other fitness that don't involve your arms as much such as walking, maybe some jogging, & biking?

Old 10-14-2022, 10:17 AM

7,161 posts, read 12,727,581 times
Walk.

Eat mostly vegetables plus some good protein and whole grains.

Avoid fried foods, meat, sugar, snack junk foods, white, processed carbs, soda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss