Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 09:28 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times

Advertisements

I don't know what the medical field says, but for me - 77 year old man in good physical shape - the most pleasing look for women over 50 is about 10 to 15 pounds "overweight".
The least pleasing are the ectomorphs, who look to me like they could use a cheeseburger. Somehow they just look fragile and they look worse as they age.

To me, there is nothing unattractive in mesomorphs like Queen Latifa. And those women would never reach the goals set by the medical community.

Ectoporphs, endomorphs, mesomorphs.

You have to start by judging your own body type. I learned long ago that I am a natural mesomorph - that means I put on muscle pretty easily, but I also get fat easily, so I have to watch it. I am 5'10" 185 pounds.

An overweight ectomorph may look terrible, but may weigh the same as a healthy mesomorph, like Delta Burke, who can be stunning.

BOL to everyone who cares for their health and appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 11:12 AM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I don't know what the medical field says, but for me - 77 year old man in good physical shape - the most pleasing look for women over 50 is about 10 to 15 pounds "overweight".
The least pleasing are the ectomorphs, who look to me like they could use a cheeseburger. Somehow they just look fragile and they look worse as they age.

To me, there is nothing unattractive in mesomorphs like Queen Latifa. And those women would never reach the goals set by the medical community.

Ectoporphs, endomorphs, mesomorphs.

You have to start by judging your own body type. I learned long ago that I am a natural mesomorph - that means I put on muscle pretty easily, but I also get fat easily, so I have to watch it. I am 5'10" 185 pounds.

An overweight ectomorph may look terrible, but may weigh the same as a healthy mesomorph, like Delta Burke, who can be stunning.

BOL to everyone who cares for their health and appearance.
As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Women's body shapes are different from men's; ruler, apple, pear, and hourglass, at least according to the fashion industry.

Before I retired, the school district I worked for instituted an Employee Wellness Program. Not just weighing for BMI, but taking Waist Hip Measurement for female employees. For women her waist had to be at least 8 inches smaller than her hips to be considered healthy. Women were classified as Apple or Pear shaped.

My measurements then, and now, are 34-25-34. My guess would be SMALL Hourglass by fashion, and "Pear" by work. Questionnaire at work asked, where do you carry your excess weight? ROFL In my 32DD bra? Does that count? Bearing children and nursing them increased that "weight".

My Mom always used to complain that if she got pants to fit her hips, the waists were always too big on her. She was definitely an Hourglass. I had similar problem when younger. Today they even make jeans for "curvy" girls in size 1. Fit PERFECTLY.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:09 AM

846 posts, read 681,550 times
It depends on your muscle mass. People tend to lose muscle as they age. So 2 people can both be 23 BMI but the person with more muscle mass will have less fat.

23 BMI is in the healthy range. You could continue eating the same amount of calories you do currently, but lift weights and get in 100-125g of protein per day.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 912 times
Normal weight is the weight at which a person has perfect proportions at a certain age. Mass index values indicate that height and weight are in harmony.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:34 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I am currently having an issue with being a bit underweight. I have been slim most all of my life, and tall (5'8") with long slender arms and legs. I had been maintaing what to me was an "ideal" weight (138lbs) for several years but was recently hospitalized for knee surgery and some unrelated health complications. I lost 10 lbs, now 128 and look like a bag of bones. I suspect that a lot of it is loss of muscle. I just don't seem to gain any back, and it is made worse that I can't move around much with my leg in a splint.

I am also now diabetic which limits some (or how much) of things I can eat. Most people here in these forums want to lose weight but I desperately want to gain a little, at least what I lost. Any suggestions?

Old 11-15-2022, 07:33 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,005,048 times
Drink a glass of milk + eat a serving of pistachios each evening, after you eat your dinner. You will gain weight.

For muscle loss, you can exercise without moving. You tense and then relax each muscle in your body. You start with one leg going from lower body to higher body. Left leg lower part, then left leg higher part, then right leg lower part etc. Until you finish with the neck. I think this form of exercise is called isometric.

Old 11-16-2022, 07:23 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am currently having an issue with being a bit underweight. I have been slim most all of my life, and tall (5'8") with long slender arms and legs. I had been maintaing what to me was an "ideal" weight (138lbs) for several years but was recently hospitalized for knee surgery and some unrelated health complications. I lost 10 lbs, now 128 and look like a bag of bones. I suspect that a lot of it is loss of muscle. I just don't seem to gain any back, and it is made worse that I can't move around much with my leg in a splint.

I am also now diabetic which limits some (or how much) of things I can eat. Most people here in these forums want to lose weight but I desperately want to gain a little, at least what I lost. Any suggestions?
There's lots of stuff you can do with your leg in a splint! You can work with dumbbells sitting down. You can also do modified sit-ups by laying on your back, propping your knees up and just rolling your shoulders forward until you feel your abdominals tighten - hold for a couple of seconds, and slowly lower your shoulders back to the floor (or bed if you can't get to the floor with the splint on). Repeat a few dozen times til you're bored, and do it a second time that day - and repeat twice a day for a month.

You can dance, sitting down. Learn to move your upper body, while keeping your lower body completely still. Shoulder shifts, arm movements, torso twists - all stuff you don't need your legs for. Gets the cardio in, a few calories burned (not enough to make a difference), and makes you FEEL more fit and tightens up your muscles.

I work with dementia patients as a volunteer, and seated dancing is a favorite since most of them have trouble with balance and use a walker or wheelchair.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:54 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
Drink a glass of milk + eat a serving of pistachios each evening, after you eat your dinner. You will gain weight.

For muscle loss, you can exercise without moving. You tense and then relax each muscle in your body. You start with one leg going from lower body to higher body. Left leg lower part, then left leg higher part, then right leg lower part etc. Until you finish with the neck. I think this form of exercise is called isometric.
So that's why I can't lose weight! Seriously, I have a smoothie every night with 8 oz. milk, a frozen banana and a scoop of protein powder. All I need to do is lower calories and up my activity. Getting there...

I'll never be at the BMI the chart thinks I should. I used to be 25-26 and now it's 29-30. When I lose too much weight, my face is gaunt. All I want is for my clothes to fit better again, and my blood pressure to go down. It's the first time in my life (age 71) that I've had to deal with blood pressure. 35 points is not good! 20 pounds extra does that to you.

Thanks for the reminder about isometrics. Many moons ago I had that book Callanetics, but I never did anything with it

Old 11-17-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
There's lots of stuff you can do with your leg in a splint! You can work with dumbbells sitting down. You can also do modified sit-ups by laying on your back, propping your knees up and just rolling your shoulders forward until you feel your abdominals tighten - hold for a couple of seconds, and slowly lower your shoulders back to the floor (or bed if you can't get to the floor with the splint on). Repeat a few dozen times til you're bored, and do it a second time that day - and repeat twice a day for a month.

You can dance, sitting down. Learn to move your upper body, while keeping your lower body completely still. Shoulder shifts, arm movements, torso twists - all stuff you don't need your legs for. Gets the cardio in, a few calories burned (not enough to make a difference), and makes you FEEL more fit and tightens up your muscles.

I work with dementia patients as a volunteer, and seated dancing is a favorite since most of them have trouble with balance and use a walker or wheelchair.
Thanks for the suggestions! Now that I am feeling better and not in so much pain from surgery I can try to start incorporating some of this. I also have some PT exercises to do for my legs. But definitely want to build up my upper body because that is where the weight loss really shows!

Old 11-17-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post

Thanks! Can't do the milk (allergy) but started eating nuts after dinner! Hopefully it will do the trick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss