Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 04:13 PM

94 posts, read 106,944 times

Advertisements

I'm a 39yr f 5'7" weighing about 170lbs. My normal body weight through out most of my adult life was around 140-150lbs but since 2021 I put on this extra weight which has stayed pretty stable the last year or so.

I've never been particularly athletic but have a decent body shape. Before the weight gain I still probably qualified as "skinny fat." I don't mind some of my extra curves, some which are muscle but want to shape up and work on my problem areas which is mostly my lower abdomen where I always have tended to gain weight first. I never have a problem with upper body weight, just between thighs and naval.

I want to start out very slow and gradually as I have had a history of chronic fatigue and long covid so don't want to push myself too hard until I get my my stamina up. My diet is pretty healthy, I eat a natural organic diet for health reason but not tried specific weight loss or muscle gain diets. I do have access to a simple gym and want to try body weight exercise at home.

Any advice for me as to where to start? Any one else in a similar position want to join the thread and share tips and motivation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 07:47 PM

3,538 posts, read 2,535,633 times
There really should be an exercise sub-forum in the health forum. Your post doesn't mention any interest in losing weight or changing your diet.

At 5'7" you're probably a little "fluffy" but hardly anywhere near obese and as long as you feel good and your doctor says you're okay, then you're okay.

Since you have chronic fatigue and long covid, you'll definitely want to get into some exercise routines. First - walk, outside if possible, in fresh air. Even if it's cold, and even if it's just to the end of the block and back. Every single day. Take your time at first - and then eventually put more stride in your steps, and then increase the distance when you feel you've hit a "comfort" zone.

Next - body weight exercises are excellent. You can google these - don't modify them, but start with just 30 seconds each, and work your way up to a few minutes each, in however long you need to get there. There's no hurry.

Wall Sits
Planks
One-Armed Planks

These you do repetitions. Start with 10. Work your way up to 20. Each.

Push-Ups OR modified Push-Ups (starting in a kneeling position instead of full-out)
The Superman (yes it's an exercise)
Russian Twist (after you get to 20 reps on this - try it while holding a single 10-pound dumb-bell with both hands)
Bird-Dog plank or pose

All the above will strengthen your abdomen, lower back, thighs, buttocks. Some will also strengthen your arms and upper back. One-armed planks and Bird-dogs will help with your balance.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:15 PM

Thank you for your reply! I love the idea to walk outside and get fresh air. I think that will be very healthy for me especially as I try to avoid the winter cold. I will look up these body weight exercises and give them a try. I know there's a lot of info online but it does help to get some direct pointers like that.

You are right in saying my concern is mainly to address fitness more than just weight loss for the sake of weight loss or health. My goal is mainly to look more fit and also increase circulation and energy level. Didn't immediately see any exercise or fitness forum so thought this was the closest thing.

Old 12-26-2022, 03:33 AM

7,377 posts, read 5,300,330 times
Exercise is good for you, and every one should do it on a regular basis, BUT-- it won't help you lose weight.

One pound of fat contains over 4000 cal, and even a trained, aggressive athlete who really pushes hard will only burn about 500 cal in an hour.....As an untrained participant with other "energy" issues, you'll burn even less...OTOH- burning that extra few 100 cal each day by exercising, it will allow an extra few 100 cal of diet to be eaten without becoming part of new fat storage.

Another point to be aware of-- you can't "spot train" to lose fat from certain areas. When cal expenditure exceeds cal intake, you burn fat in a set sequence-- face/neck first, hips/thighs last. Belly & breasts come in between.

BEWARE- when you stop dieting and return to your previous sinful ways, you put the weight back on in reverse order-- hips/thighs first, then face/neck last...That's why people who repeatedly go on & off diets seem to get more and more pear shaped over time...They first put new fat on over the old hip fat that they never got around to losing on the last diet.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:35 AM

846 posts, read 697,535 times
It's not just about what you eat but also track your calories. Find out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure for your goal weight ([url]https://tdeecalculator.net/[/url]) and use that as a baseline; adjust your calorie intake accordingly until you lose weight at the desired pace.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:12 AM

The OP is not asking about losing weight or dieting. The OP is asking about becoming more healthy and getting more fit, and building more muscle-mass.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:24 AM

6,164 posts, read 3,875,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlitwanderer View Post
I'm a 39yr f 5'7" weighing about 170lbs. My normal body weight through out most of my adult life was around 140-150lbs but since 2021 I put on this extra weight which has stayed pretty stable the last year or so.

I've never been particularly athletic but have a decent body shape. Before the weight gain I still probably qualified as "skinny fat." I don't mind some of my extra curves, some which are muscle but want to shape up and work on my problem areas which is mostly my lower abdomen where I always have tended to gain weight first. I never have a problem with upper body weight, just between thighs and naval.

I want to start out very slow and gradually as I have had a history of chronic fatigue and long covid so don't want to push myself too hard until I get my my stamina up. My diet is pretty healthy, I eat a natural organic diet for health reason but not tried specific weight loss or muscle gain diets. I do have access to a simple gym and want to try body weight exercise at home.

Any advice for me as to where to start? Any one else in a similar position want to join the thread and share tips and motivation?
My suggestion is to find an activity that you enjoy which burns up considerable calories. At 5' 7" and 170 pounds, it's not likely that you'll want to move the excess weight elsewhere. You'll want to get rid of it.

You might start getting in shape by walking but walking alone is not enough. You'll also need some cardio exercise, i.e. something which gets the pulse rate up and maintains it at an elevated level for an extended period of time. The game of pickleball is an EXCELLENT way of getting exercise and raising your cardiovascular fitness. It also burns a lot of calories and it's FUN.

Perhaps do the cardio exercise 3 or 4 times per week and do some muscle toning with light weights or stretch band exercises on alternating days.

If you combine the cardio exercise and the muscle toning (weights) with some reduced caloric intake, you'll see results quickly (in a matter of weeks). It will likely take more than a few weeks to get where you want to be, but as the old saying goes, a long journey begins with the first step. If you don't get started on your journey, you'll never get there. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:20 PM

Chas863 the OP specified that they have chronic fatigue syndrome and Long Covid. They're not going to be doing a lot of strenuous cardio exercise, at all. They've also specified that losing weight wasn't their goal here. They want to increase their energy level. That means - their energy level is currently low. That means - no pickleball. It means walking, and working their way UP to more vigorous cardio exercises, eventually.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:54 PM

Wow, thanks for all the great information and tips. Definitely appreciate it. Just to clarify I did recover from both the chronic fatigue and long covid, the chronic fatigue a decade ago and long covid I had 3-4mo of not being able to do normal activities, 3 mo being able to do most normal activities with reoccurring symptoms and now 3 mo with no reoccurring symptoms. So as of now, I'm probably a little out of shape but can function normally. I just want to start off slow make sure I don't back slide in that department.

I do want to get more fit but also need to lose weight as well. I think I need both because basically I want to look and feel better. Right now I'm at level "ok" would like to take it up to good then maybe great!

Old 12-26-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
It's not just about what you eat but also track your calories. Find out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure for your goal weight (https://tdeecalculator.net/) and use that as a baseline; adjust your calorie intake accordingly until you lose weight at the desired pace.
Thank you for the resource. I'm going to try it out, I'm sure will be very revealing and helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss