Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 11:00 AM

846 posts, read 683,481 times

Advertisements

A few for me, since I lost 100 lbs:

1) I don't like feeling bloated. In the past, bloated used to feel normal; I would eat until I'm so stuffed that it would cause pain to eat anymore. Now bloating feels horrible. Now I eat just enough to not feel hungry and no more. Basically, eat just enough to not feel your stomach; you don't want it to feel hungry, nor want it to feel full.

2) I'm sensitized to American portion sizes. I used to think it was normal, but now it's ridiculous. People eating a 12" sub at subway in one sitting, and a cookies and a cola with it. People getting multiple large plates of food at bbq's/buffets. People having bread, an appetizer, a main entree, a soda AND a dessert at a restaurant. That's absurd.

3) I'm less sympathetic to excuses. In the past, I believed people were overweight because of bad luck, metabolism, etc. But now I realize that people just underestimate how many calories they eat. They think they're eating 2500 when they're really eating 3500+.

4) More confidence. My social skills are improving, but at the same time, I realize weight loss isn't a panacea for everything. It's not enough to just look good; you still need to put effort into meeting people and forming friendships, and I still have some social anxiety to overcome. Though more women are attracted to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 08:35 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,013,961 times
For me:

- Increased mobility.
- Moving and feeling better in the body/mind.
- Improved sleep.
- Much less cravings for desserts/carbs.
- Lower level of chronic pain.
- Increased empathy for others who still struggle with this issue.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:49 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Less aches and pains when I keep my best weight maintained.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:12 AM

also, i can sit down without

(a) being afraid the chair will break and i'll have to owe someone money

and (b) squashing my nuts

Old 02-23-2023, 09:13 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,534 times
The best thing about positive body changes is the confidence boost. It echos into every part of your life.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:07 AM

10,903 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I had to alter or replace most of my clothing. Good thing I sew.

Old 02-26-2023, 06:47 AM

Yeah, that was a hassle at first. I used to be a 2-3X. Now I'm a Medium.

I can still wear some of my Larges. But any money I spent on XL clothes was a waste, as I was swimming in them in the next few months. So even when I was making progress I still had some anxiety about buying clothes.

But now I'm in a comfortable place. Medium will still look fine on me, even if I lose 15 more lbs or put on some muscle.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:38 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
I dropped 120 lbs 2021.
Walking- This was a HUGE part of the loss and now it's not just a daily routine (3.2 miles in about 52 minutes) I add any short errands like to the local grocer, hardware or tavern.

Portion Size- Hit this taco truck the other day for burrito, I was almost repulsed by it's size, same thing with a gourmet burger ordered a few weeks ago. I split the burrito with the bar server and the burger went to my friends chickens.

Self awareness- I lived solo in a Condo, had 1 mirror above the bathroom sink, only time I looked into it was shaving and the view was shoulders up. There were no "selfies" taken the previous 10 years nor was I front and center in any group pictures. I didn't want to look because I didn't want to see.

After the loss, I became more aware of my body and seeing things like skin moles/tabs etc prompting medical evaluation and treatment.

OP, please don't judge others. I was there more than once. This last loss, at 55, came through a series of events, some good, some not. I can't say that I could do it again so I'm doing my best to maintain it. 14 months later, weight off and quite a bit of muscle added, a pleasant and welcome surprise.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
OP, please don't judge others. I was there more than once.
I don't judge or disparage anyone for their weight or body.

However, if someone an nonsense excuse for their weight (i.e. it's their metabolism, or because they're an endomorph) rather than them just eating too much, that's where the problem is.

If I ever gain weight back, I wouldn't beat myself up, but I would take full accountability. I'd say "Okay, I've eaten too many calories lately. What habits can I change to lower the calories a bit"

Old 03-02-2023, 07:29 PM

Something else I noticed. I used to laugh when fit or skinny people panicked when they gained 5 lbs. But now I get why, and I do it too.

Fit people are hypervigilant and make recenter themselves quickly. We all make mistakes, but it's how soon you correct them that determines your weight.

Fit people immediately rectify after a week or 2. Whereas the average American will wait until they gain 30-40+ lbs until they act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss