Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 09:51 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

There are also plenty of free workout videos on YouTube. Just search for "low impact" or "knee friendly" or even "seated." Lots of trainers offer gentle workouts for beginners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 11:20 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
If you cut out anything made with white flour and cut way back on sugar, increase your fruits, vegetables, whole grains, you'll lose weight in a nutritious and healthy way.

Look up chair yoga on the 'net. It's a good way to exercise without straining your achy joints.

Where there's a will, there's a way!

You've got to dig deep to really want to lose the weight and be willing to change. Are you?

Old 04-23-2023, 05:15 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alise- View Post
Hello! I'm in a stupid situation... so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. My doctor diagnosed me with obesity and I don't know how to lose weight very quickly and safely, because I can't do sports because of painful joints.
thanks to those who can answer me!
It's not a "quick" type change. Take your time and do it by eating less quantity and eat healthier. (No Bon-bons infront to f the TV!)

Dropping 30 pounds in a month is going to likely cause a "rebound" gain, when off the diet. Don't do this.

Dropping 2-3 pounds per month is a much safer/smarter rate of reduction.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:33 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
Get rid of all liquids other than water and always leave 2 bites of whatever you're eating on the plate. This is enough for 99% of obese people to start losing weight.

If you have access to a pool just walking around in the pool is enough to burn extra calories without hurting joints.

Old 04-24-2023, 01:43 PM

737 posts, read 409,699 times
Diet. document it too

Old 04-25-2023, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 698 times
Hey everyone,

I would like to complete the comment I have seen above: “Losing weight comes down to burning more calories than you are taking in”

While many of us may focus solely on restricting calories to achieve weight loss, there's another important aspect of our diet that we should be paying attention to: the diversity of our food choices.

Research has shown that having a diverse diet is crucial for maintaining a healthy gut microbiota, which is important for overall health and wellness. A diverse diet provides a wide range of nutrients and fibre that nourish our gut microbiota and support their growth and diversity.

This doesn't mean that calorie restriction isn't important for weight loss, but it does mean that we should also be focusing on the quality and diversity of our food choices. Some simple ways to diversify your diet include trying new fruits and vegetables, incorporating whole grains and legumes, and including fermented foods like yogurt, kimchi, or sauerkraut.

Of course, every person's dietary needs and goals are different, and there's no one-size-fits-all approach. But I think it's important to keep in mind that our diet isn't just about calories, and that a diverse diet can have positive impacts on our overall health and wellbeing.

Thanks for reading!

Old 04-25-2023, 03:44 AM

200 posts, read 109,591 times
One day I wanted to lose weight and stopped eating completely. As it turned out, I can go 4 days without food and only 2 without water. Finally, I restricted my meals with muesli and lost weight to 84 pounds. I now weigh about 99-100 pounds.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:41 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
One day I wanted to lose weight and stopped eating completely. As it turned out, I can go 4 days without food and only 2 without water. Finally, I restricted my meals with muesli and lost weight to 84 pounds. I now weigh about 99-100 pounds.
That's not a diet so much as an eating disorder.

Old 05-03-2023, 10:01 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alise- View Post
Hello! I'm in a stupid situation... so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. My doctor diagnosed me with obesity and I don't know how to lose weight very quickly and safely, because I can't do sports because of painful joints.
thanks to those who can answer me!
I believe you can lose weight mainly with the dreaded D word, diet, or eating healthier.

I am working on that now again. I have lost about 8 lbs but it's taken me a long time and I am so slow to shed the lbs now.

I am trying to eat less processed foods but still eat the occasional JD breakfast bowls at work due to convenience. But I also bring a salad or some veggies to work for lunch, such as chopped up celery, radishes, etc. I bring a portioned serving of nuts like pistachios or cashews or almonds, then a piece of fruit, such as an apple or banana, etc. Sometimes on the weekend, we cook our breakfast, eggs, sausage or bacon, etc. Better than the processed food imo.

Once in a while, I like to bring an avocado to work and gnaw on that, filling and time consuming. I sometimes bring a small portion of noosa yogurt with berries like blueberries and blackberries and raspberries.

If I eat the breakfast bowl for early break, I'm too full to eat a full lunch, but try to eat something so I don't head home hungry.

I've cut out the second breakfast and the "first" dinner, that snack you eat on the way home.

So I get home, socialize with the wife and the cats a bit, then try to eat dinner and be done by before 7 o clock.

No snacks after that and especially no chocolate and/or candy after dinner.

No midnight bowls of cereal anymore. I know. Hard core.

Drink lots of water and if coffee, don't put that garbage into it. No soda.

Sugar free is a lie, imo of course, ymmv yada yada.

You may only lose a pound per week, but to watch the scale go backwards is a miracle. It is so difficult and so satisfying, that after a while, you'll get more motivated and may even feel like walking a bit more each day.

You must weigh yourself though. Every day. I choose the morning. Oh, and don't give up. Take it easy on yourself. But don't quit.

Then when/if you lose the weight, you should have learned what works and what doesn't.

I'm told to mix up my food selections a lot. Don't just keep eating the same thing all the time.

Oh, I still have a long way to go this time. I still need to lose at least 25 more lbs. I take pictures of the scale every time I lose a pound from my relative last low, if that make any sense. When I get below this decade of lbs, I might start posting it on my facebook page, but am not anywhere close to admit my current weight since the Covid funk I got into.

Old 05-03-2023, 11:33 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Default A little more info might be helpful…

How old are you? How much do you weigh? How long have you not exercised? How far can you walk without tiring out or your joints starting to hurt? Can you walk around the mall? The grocery store? Has your weight always been an issue? Do you have any other underlying health issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss