Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 10:23 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
"A likely explanation for these findings is that weight loss can be an early prodromal indicator of the presence of various life-shortening diseases...The latter may include deaths from trauma, dementia, Parkinson disease..
Indeed. It recently came to my attention that a man in the community I hadn't seen for years has lost an impressive amount of weight. He used to be fat, now looks to be a more normal, healthy weight.

Unfortunately he otherwise looks terrible (facial expression) and walks quite slowly with a pronounced limp. When I asked someone "what happened to him?" the answer was Parkinson's.

My impression is that adults over about 70 are more likely to lose weight than gain , due to declining vitality or illness. Either way, it seems that the best prognosis is to enter your senior years at a healthy weight and maintain it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 10:04 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
The study is nothing more than an association between extreme weight loss and sudden death. And as anyone can expect, terminal diseases one develops will lead to both sudden weight loss and death. This study is basically worthless.

If a study is not a clinical trial (this is a cohort study, done post hoc from another data set used in ASPREE trial), it's not worth your time. Post hoc analysis on data sets can get you to show anything you want based on how you play with the data. The proper trial is to randomize older and obese americans to either lose weight or maintain weight so the only difference between them is weight loss.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:05 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Sudden, UNintentional weight loss usually signals some kind of health issue regardless of your age, whether physical or mental. The older you are, the harder the toll such a drastic weight loss is on your health.

It is actually normal for older people to lose weight over time as their muscle mass decreases.

It has long been recognized that older adults who have 20 or 30 pounds extra pounds on them will have a better chance of recovering from an illness. They have more reserves to get their bodies through a bad spell.

I've known plenty of 60 and 70 somethings who exercise, diet and intentionally lose weight to make themselves feel and look better. As long as they aren't going on starvation diets or doing some sort of extreme fasting or ultimate body challenge, they should be just fine.

Old 09-09-2023, 10:42 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Is this another way to excusing and saying it is ok to be fat/obese???

I have been hearing a lot of that here as of late.

Old 09-09-2023, 10:59 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

No, that's just your fat-hating interpretation of it.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:27 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
No, that's just your fat-hating interpretation of it.
Correct. I wouldn't want to be skin and bones in my old age. Those people are just not healthy. We don't see that much of that type of thing going on anymore but it still exists. And what springfieldva said is accurate. I'd much rather have a few extra pounds on me in my elderly years than be skin and bones. And I'm not interested in prolonging my life. I think a lot of people secretly agree with me though they won't admit it. With the way things are going I have no interest in living 30 more years. Both sides of my parentage lived to be a very old age and again I have no interest in that.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:09 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
From the article = "It is unclear if the participants’ weight loss was intentional or unintentional."

Gee, kind of a small detail to overlook, donchathink?

Old 09-10-2023, 09:47 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
From the article = "It is unclear if the participants’ weight loss was intentional or unintentional."

Gee, kind of a small detail to overlook, donchathink?
Lol, yeah!

Old 09-10-2023, 10:03 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

If anything, it might be seen as an attempt to deny the older population access to drugs like Ozempic which is being used off label for weight loss by people who do not have type 2 diabetes. I'm not sure if Medicare covers Ozempic or not. But if the weight loss associated with taking that drug can be deemed "an early death sentence" for older adults....what exactly will that mean.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:08 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If anything, it might be seen as an attempt to deny the older population access to drugs like Ozempic which is being used off label for weight loss by people who do not have type 2 diabetes. I'm not sure if Medicare covers Ozempic or not. But if the weight loss associated with taking that drug can be deemed "an early death sentence" for older adults....what exactly will that mean.
^^Interesting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss