Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 06:07 PM

621 posts, read 311,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
You can't live on broccoli and chicken breast, contrary to what all the 200-pound dietitians tell you.
I'm not entirely sure that that is true. My breakfast is broccoli and salmon and a quart of coffee, with 1/2-1/2 and stevia, and the other meal varies in ways that I mostly don't worry about. I often do have some complex carbohydrate, or even yoghurt, but the Metformin probably takes care of that. I have never weighed my GP, who is small and slim, or his assistant, who has also passed dietary advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 08:02 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,395,814 times
You can run on fat or digestible carbohydrate; you can't run on protein. When you have a disease of carbohydrate intolerance, the optimal fuel isn't carbohydrate.

Dietitians are almost all female, none of whom should weight 200 pounds. Your slim, trim doctor and his assistant are in the minority. Almost everyone I see in the medical industry looks 40 pounds overweight; the exception is dentists, who see every day what starchy, sugary diets do to their patients' teeth.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 05-24-2023 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-24-2023, 08:11 PM

2,631 posts, read 1,173,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
IF is a good start, but I would also drastically reduce any wheat consumption and read food labels. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant, and store bread is one of the most heavily processed foods around with hundreds of ingredients.
3 comments in and I'm already in shock. I was told wheat bread is better for me than white bread. Maybe it's just best to not have any bread but damn I sure do crave bread at least 3 times a week.

OP I hope you are eating vegetables with a touch of butter for sweetness in place of things like candy, ice cream and the mother load of carbs Potato chips.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:20 PM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
You can run on fat or digestible carbohydrate; you can't run on protein. When you have a disease of carbohydrate intolerance, the optimal fuel isn't carbohydrate.

Dietitians are almost all female, none of whom should weight 200 pounds.
That's just not true. Never has been, although I know you and millions of others believe it.
The Lewis & Clarke expedition consumed 20 pounds of meat per day per man for 2 years. And today, there are millions of people who eat mostly protein.
My breakfast: Egg; pork chop; coffee; 2 glasses water. That holds me until mid afternoon.

Cholesterol; 134. Triglycerides; 64.
Everything else normal.

Haven't eaten wheat, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta in over a year.

Last edited by Listener2307; 05-24-2023 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-24-2023, 09:49 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,136,350 times
Always stand up to big pharma, and refuse. I advise blueberries, strawberries, natural peanut butter, rye bread, celery, almonds, chicken, oatmeal, broccoli, cauliflower, and fish.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:46 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I've done IF and thought it was not hard to do.

Question: Why are you reducing your window from 10 pm to 9 pm? Doesn't seem necessary and for you might open up snacking because it's legal. Maybe keep the 10 pm (or whenever you go to bed) and reduce window on the earlier end.
Just my 2 cents.
I work 7-4 a.m., so I'm typically up by 5:30 a.m. each morning. Waiting to eat until noon can be hard some days, so I'm reluctant to stretch that window to 1-2 p.m.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
IF is a good start, but I would also drastically reduce any wheat consumption and read food labels. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant, and store bread is one of the most heavily processed foods around with hundreds of ingredients.
Yes, in the past two weeks I've definitely reduced the amount of bread I eat. And my husband tends to cook only with fresh ingredients versus processed foods, so I'm good there. Snacking has always been my downfall - there's where the processed food gets me. But I've reduced that by at least 75% in the past two weeks simply by starting IF and logging in my food.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
non fruit carbs, for me, are the key to weight loss. you might consider some supplements that help with blood sugar -- chromium picolinate, vanadium, niacin or the no flush similar, berberine, moringa are some to look at

cutting carbs and adding blood sugar supplements gives a virtuous cycle of weight loss + blood sugar improvement

stay strong!
I'll look into those - thanks!

Old 05-25-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Hard to badmouth weight loss and a diet you can stick with.

I don't know anything about Ozempic, but I thought that Metformin, 500mg twice a day, was a starter for diabetics/"pre-diabetics," along with diet change.

My personal situation is slightly different, so I am not sure that it is easy to learn from it, but my new GP found an A1c of 10.7, and didn't hesitate to start with the above dosage and strong diet recommendations. I have had little trouble with limiting my eating since my wife passed away some years ago, and my GP made it easier when he finally convinced me to start with atorvastatin, which somewhat alleviates a concern about fat intake. In the end, I HAVE been careful about carbohydrate intake, especially sugars and the simplest starchy foods. In three months I dropped my A1c to 6.7, and have maintained it for a couple of years mostly below 6.0.

Your success is lauded, and I hope you can maintain it with even less carbohydrate intake. I know that my carbohydrate reduction has not only helped my A1c, but eliminated leg cramps and increased stamina.

Best wishes.
Yes, she did give me a prescription for Metformin to start - I have a bottle of it sitting on my counter, untouched since I picked it up. I am not one to take meds - I won't even take Motrin if I have a headache unless it's a borderline migraine. But she said Ozempic was her preference long-term. I told her I'd prefer not to take ANY meds and would try instead for the 10% weight loss to start. She said that was fine and to plan on rechecking my bloodwork in ~3 months. If it shows a reduction, then I'll keep going.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
I'm a type II diabetic, and weight control is most important. If you cannot control your diet on your own, go to a weight loss clinic.

Otherwise, midnight snacks are your biggest enemy. Stop eating the munchies late nights.

And get out and do some hard physical work on a regular basis. It's good for lowering blood sugar 50 points.
I agree that the midnight snacks were my biggest enemy. It happened so easily since I'm a night owl. But Fortunately that was my easiest thing to curb over the past two weeks since I set my IF window to close at 10 p.m. I went from late night snacks pretty much every night to zero. And fortunately it was an easy adjustment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss