Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 08:07 AM

17,399 posts, read 16,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Week four ended yesterday and I'm officially down 10.2 pounds in four weeks.

Today I'm wearing a shirt that was bordering on being tight when I bought it last month, and now it fits perfectly. I look forward to the day when I put it on and think, "This shirt is a bit too big for me to wear now."
You are making some good progress to have lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks. You will probably start to hit a plateau soon but don't let that discourage you. Keep up the good work and soon the scale will start to move again.

As a prediabetic, you are smart to be taking this very, very seriously - you do not want diabetes. I have been prediabetic for years now and have never developed diabetes due to dietary changes that I made. It comes naturally to me to eat foods low on the glycemic index and I do intermittent fasting, too. The South Beach diet is a good one for explaining the glycemic index.

Have you ever tried chicken breast cut up into nugget pieces, dipped in beaten egg, rolled in seasoned (salt, pepper, garlic powder) crushed pork rinds and cooked in an air fryer? If not, do so. I kid you not, they are better than any fried chicken nuggets/strips out there and they have zero carbs.

There are tons of great recipes out there that are healthy and satisfying. There is also a much better selection of low carb bread, microwaveable foods, snacks and sweets then there used to be. It makes it so much easier to avoid processed starches and sugars that spike your blood sugar. Once you stop those blood sugar swings, your hunger level goes way down and you might even find yourself forgetting to eat at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 10:24 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You are making some good progress to have lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks. You will probably start to hit a plateau soon but don't let that discourage you. Keep up the good work and soon the scale will start to move again.

As a prediabetic, you are smart to be taking this very, very seriously - you do not want diabetes. I have been prediabetic for years now and have never developed diabetes due to dietary changes that I made. It comes naturally to me to eat foods low on the glycemic index and I do intermittent fasting, too. The South Beach diet is a good one for explaining the glycemic index.

Have you ever tried chicken breast cut up into nugget pieces, dipped in beaten egg, rolled in seasoned (salt, pepper, garlic powder) crushed pork rinds and cooked in an air fryer? If not, do so. I kid you not, they are better than any fried chicken nuggets/strips out there and they have zero carbs.

There are tons of great recipes out there that are healthy and satisfying. There is also a much better selection of low carb bread, microwaveable foods, snacks and sweets then there used to be. It makes it so much easier to avoid processed starches and sugars that spike your blood sugar. Once you stop those blood sugar swings, your hunger level goes way down and you might even find yourself forgetting to eat at times.
It's funny you said the plateau would hit - I "only" lost .6 pounds this past week (not a true plateau, but a slowdown compared to the first four weeks). I'm not discouraged at all. I know that I'll have weeks where I don't lose at all, and others where I'll lose 2 or more. I've experienced that before with previous attempts to lose weight. And I'm down 10.8 pounds in five weeks, which is still amazing!

My husband is the cook - I'll have to mention the chicken idea to him - I'm sure he'll try it. =)

I've already noticed that my appetite has reduced over these past five weeks. It's rare that I'm hungry before my eating window opens at noon (the first couple of weeks I'd sometimes have hunger pangs around 10 a.m.). And I've officially begun ending my window at 8 p.m. because I've stopped craving snacks in the evenings.

Old 06-13-2023, 01:43 PM

2,349 posts, read 615,713 times
Good for you Girl!!!

Old 06-21-2023, 08:43 AM

As of this morning, down 13.6 pounds since May 9. Feeling great!

Old 06-24-2023, 04:07 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
As of this morning I'm down another 1.5 pounds, for a loss of 8.5 pounds in 3 weeks just by making the small changes such as switching to an intermittent fasting schedule, sticking to a reasonable caloric count each day and cutting out stuff like Starbucks. I'm very pleased thus far!
This is a victory, by itself. Their pastries are garbage anyway.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:40 AM

Had a wild weigh-in this morning. Despite being at goal all week, and on Friday having the scale showing that I was on track to be down at least another pound, this morning the scale showed a 5 pound gain! Clearly my body did not like something I ate between Friday morning and Tuesday morning, and is holding onto water in protest.

I looked at my macros and nutrition details for the weekend and don't see anything too sodium- or gluten-heavy, so who knows what caused it. But I'm not discouraged - I know there will be weeks when the scale is not my friend, for whatever reason. *lol*

Old 07-10-2023, 07:51 AM

It's been a couple weeks, so I thought I'd check in.

That weird 5 pound gain I noted on 6/27 took a while to go away, but I kept with the IF and it not only went away after about 6 days, but as of this morning I'm now down 16.8 pounds (my official weigh-in that I log is tomorrow though).

Old 07-21-2023, 06:00 AM

Another update - I'm now down almost 18 pounds (17.6 to be exact) since May 9 (just over 10 weeks). Slow and steady is winning the race...

I'm thrilled and feel better than I have in a long time. Joint pain has greatly reduced, foot pain has disappeared, my energy levels have increased, and I'm feeling good!

Old 07-21-2023, 06:43 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Week four ended yesterday and I'm officially down 10.2 pounds in four weeks.

Today I'm wearing a shirt that was bordering on being tight when I bought it last month, and now it fits perfectly. I look forward to the day when I put it on and think, "This shirt is a bit too big for me to wear now."
Good job!

The other day, I put on a shirt I hadn't worn for a while; was too big, AND I had already taken it in! That's what success tastes like.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:09 AM

As of today down 18.4 pounds. If I can lose 1.6# by August 9, I'll have lost 20 pounds in 3 months, which would be an amazing accomplishment! I'm planning on calling my doctor today to make the appointment to have my bloodwork redone in early September.

I did make one small tweak to my routine a couple weeks ago. I moved my non-fasting days to Fri/Sat instead of Sat/Sun. With my weigh-ins being on Tuesday mornings, I felt that having two full days of IF after 2 non-IF days might be more beneficial if I overdo it on sodium intake or don't drink enough water because I'm drinking other things. I also reduced my IF calories to 1650 (from 1700) and my non-IF calories to 2000 (from 2100-2200).

I also plan to begin walking in September. I live in SC where summers are excruciatingly hot, so I am waiting for the worst of summer to end, at which point I'll start a 3x/week walking regimen (in my best days walking about 8-9 years ago I'd do 10 miles 2-3x/week, but for now I'll just aim for 2-3 miles 3x/week).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss