Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 12:25 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Doc wanted to put me on Ozempic and I said no way due to the horrific side effects I've read about.
Not saying you should try it, and you seem to be doing well without... but just for the record, most people have few/minimal to no side effects if they're using it properly (under the guidance of a doctor). I've been on it for over 2 months now, and just had a little stomach upset in the beginning. Pretty much nothing now, aside from the positive effects like lowered appetite and cravings! And I've lost about 12lbs in that time, in addition to the 24 I'd already lost on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
That, and you'll gain back all the weight after you go off it.
Also not true, if you are using it properly. People who think it's a magic cure, and make zero lifestyle/dietary changes on their own - yeah, they'll regain the weight. Same goes for people trying fads like intermittent fasting, in my observations. Doing IF without changing their habits, like OP, will result in gaining the weight back or stalling quickly.

Old 08-20-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Dietitians are almost all female, none of whom should weight 200 pounds.
Again with the blanketed, not to mention factually incorrect, comments... perhaps this isn't a thread you should be commenting on, given your lack of knowledge on welllll anything here?

Saying NO women should weigh 200lbs is a dangerous kind of thing to say. My doctor (a tiny woman fwiw) would agree, given the discussions we've had on that subject. She says healthy bloodwork is best, regardless of what the scale says. And for some women, depending on other factors like height and overall fitness, that might be 200lbs.

Old 08-20-2023, 07:50 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
3 comments in and I'm already in shock. I was told wheat bread is better for me than white bread. Maybe it's just best to not have any bread but damn I sure do crave bread at least 3 times a week.

OP I hope you are eating vegetables with a touch of butter for sweetness in place of things like candy, ice cream and the mother load of carbs Potato chips.
White bread is made from wheat that has the bran removed. Whole wheat bread includes the bran. Both are wheat, the bran is fiber, which can help keep you regular.

But wheat is a trigger for many people, and there are lots of other sources of fiber.

Old 08-21-2023, 11:04 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
White bread is made from wheat that has the bran removed. Whole wheat bread includes the bran. Both are wheat, the bran is fiber, which can help keep you regular.

But wheat is a trigger for many people, and there are lots of other sources of fiber.
Modern wheat is one of the worst possible things to consume. It is a heavily processed food with hundreds of ingredients if purchased in a grocery store format. It is also a big appetite stimulant for many people, increasing the amount of carbohydrates consumed due to lack of appetite satiation. Third, it triggers many deleterious autoimmune responses in people ranging from: brain fog, joint inflammation, weight gain/wheat belly, and many other problems.

Good thing there are MANY MANY other sources of fiber that are far superior.

Old 08-21-2023, 11:13 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,507,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Modern wheat is one of the worst possible things to consume. It is a heavily processed food with hundreds of ingredients if purchased in a grocery store format. It is also a big appetite stimulant for many people, increasing the amount of carbohydrates consumed due to lack of appetite satiation. Third, it triggers many deleterious autoimmune responses in people ranging from: brain fog, joint inflammation, weight gain/wheat belly, and many other problems.

Good thing there are MANY MANY other sources of fiber that are far superior.
Modern wheat is in a lot of foods, especially snack foods, and many desserts like doughnuts. It’s hard to separate if it’s the wheat or just the calories people are consuming as the problem.

While I maybe wrong, I don’t believe in demonizing any one food. Eat a well balanced diet and watch your calories and you can consume modern wheat and be healthy.

Of course if you have some form of intolerance or allergy to wheat, don’t eat it.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:36 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Modern wheat is in a lot of foods, especially snack foods, and many desserts like doughnuts. It’s hard to separate if it’s the wheat or just the calories people are consuming as the problem.

While I maybe wrong, I don’t believe in demonizing any one food. Eat a well balanced diet and watch your calories and you can consume modern wheat and be healthy.

Of course if you have some form of intolerance or allergy to wheat, don’t eat it.
I am highly gluten intolerant bordering on celiac, but I wouldn't recommend anyone consume modern wheat as it has so many deleterious health implications, both obvious and latent. I mentioned numerous times how the exponential growth in obesity in the US starting in the mid 1980's followed exactly when modern wheat was introduced into the food supply. It's almost a perfect match. Now we have a multi-billion dollar healthcare disaster in this country due to the obesity epidemic.
Yes, it is a great idea is to be an expert label reader, knowing what ingredients are in the majority of things that you eat.

Old 08-27-2023, 03:29 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,507,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am highly gluten intolerant bordering on celiac, but I wouldn't recommend anyone consume modern wheat as it has so many deleterious health implications, both obvious and latent. I mentioned numerous times how the exponential growth in obesity in the US starting in the mid 1980's followed exactly when modern wheat was introduced into the food supply. It's almost a perfect match. Now we have a multi-billion dollar healthcare disaster in this country due to the obesity epidemic.
Yes, it is a great idea is to be an expert label reader, knowing what ingredients are in the majority of things that you eat.
Yea, I would not eat gluten either in that case.

If you look at a graph of American obesity rates, you will find that around roughly 1995, America experienced its sharpest increase in obesity rates, but ever since the 1960s, obesity rates have been increasing significantly. And probably before then, we just didn't track it that well.

Modern wheat is certainly a factor. Not because I think it's bad for you, but because it became so cheap. Calories are now cheaper than they ever were. For $1-2, one can buy a bag of chips with 400calories at any 24/7 supermarket.

We also became more sedentary, move less, eat more. European obesity rates also have risen, but at far slower rates than ours. They also eat modern wheat, but due to costs of owning a car, more Europeans walk/use public transport to go to work, and so are less sedentary than us.

Old 08-31-2023, 07:33 AM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
According to a new book by a doctor: Ultra-Processed People: The Science Behind Food That Isn't Food https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Process.../dp/1324036729, it's not just white bread/modern wheat that is causing our obesity/diabetes/heart disease epidemic.

It's ALL ultra-processed foods that are doing it.

When you read the label on a foods, do they contain more than one ingredient that you don't find in your kitchen??

Then it's ultra-processed.

These foods make us eat more as they're poor in nutrition,have a boatload of dubious additives, and are just plain not good for our health.

Whole foods are the solution for good health.

An example? Eat a baked potato. Not chips, french fries or tater tots.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:15 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Yea

If you look at a graph of American obesity rates, you will find that around roughly 1995, America experienced its sharpest increase in obesity rates, but ever since the 1960s, obesity rates have been increasing significantly. And probably before then, we just didn't track it that well.
There seems to be a clear congruence between the promotion of the USDA Food Pyramid and the onset of the obesity epidemic.

The Pyramid wasn't even put together by nutrionists or scientists, but cobbled together by a lay committee because the government wanted to offer guidelines; they just didn't care if the guidelines were useful.

So many people (including me) based their dietary habits on the pyramid, believing it was science-based. So many people still believe that fat makes you fat and cereal is a healthy breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss