Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 01:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Very simple, most people are addicted to highly processed foods that contain modern wheat (appetite stimulant), and high fructose corn syrup, an item the body does not process well. Add onto the list soybean oils, which are cheap and very unhealthy- endocrine disruptors.
Obesity curve in the US went parabolic when modern wheat was introduced into the food supply in 1985.

Want to never gain weight again? Eat single ingredient foods, fruits, veg, lean meats, lots of water, and whole grains that DO NOT contain modern wheat. Learn to READ the ingredient lists of everything you buy and look at nutrient fact information lists online.

The total percentage of the US that was obese AND overweight in 1984 was 14%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2023, 02:11 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Laying off of the starches and sugars in your diet can at first seem like a very big deal. But once you figure out that you can still have the same flavor in your food using low carb ingredients it becomes a lot easier.

For example, if you love breaded chicken tenders, try cutting up chicken breast, dip the pieces in beaten egg and then coat in crushed pork rinds and pop them in the air fryer to cook. You would never guess that there are zero carbs.

If you like tacos, Old El Paso taco seasoning has 3 carbs per packet. Season your browned meat, serve over lettuce or spinach, top with green peppers, black olives, avocado, cheese and top with a drizzle of Ortega taco sauce.

If you love a plate of spaghetti - use miracle noodles instead of pasta and use a good quality, lower carb sauce like Rao's. I like the marinara sauce with sausage and mushroom and sometimes I'll use Alfredo.

For pizza, I'll have an Atkins frozen pizza.

For desert I'll have an individual serving sized cup of yogurt (Two Good or Chobani Zero Sugar) topped with fresh blackberries or Good Culture cottage cheese topped with fresh blackberries.

Whatever you crave, there is a low carb version that you can easily make at home. And there has never been so many low carb food options available.

Old 09-02-2023, 02:41 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Laying off of the starches and sugars in your diet can at first seem like a very big deal.
It is my understanding that as a Pre-Diabetic, my A1C is driven mostly by my carb intake.

After a person has become diabetic then the sugar intake takes on a much bigger role in things.

I have been told to ignore my sugar intake [I do not consume much sugar anyway], and to focus entirely on my wheat, potatoes, and rice consumption.

Quote:
... For example, if you love breaded chicken tenders, try cutting up chicken breast, dip the pieces in beaten egg and then coat in crushed pork rinds and pop them in the air fryer to cook. You would never guess that there are zero carbs.
I do like pork rinds, but after so many years of being told to avoid salt, I am hesitant to consume pork rinds. When we process pork, I render the lard, which leaves nothing left over for making rinds. I am okay with that since everyone wants lard.

Quote:
... If you like tacos, Old El Paso taco seasoning has 3 carbs per packet. Season your browned meat, serve over lettuce or spinach, top with green peppers, black olives, avocado, cheese and top with a drizzle of Ortega taco sauce.
We do not use many brand-name ultra-processed foods. Old El Paso or Ortega food products are not in our home.

We do make taco seasoning, and I enjoy homemade salsa.

Quote:
... If you love a plate of spaghetti - use miracle noodles instead of pasta and use a good quality, lower carb sauce like Rao's. I like the marinara sauce with sausage and mushroom and sometimes I'll use Alfredo.
I had to google 'miracle noodles'. Those are konjac noodles, we do eat konjac. Boy, what an odd texture they have. We were given 20 pounds of konjac by a friend, he could not stand the odd texture.

Quote:
... Whatever you crave, there is a low carb version that you can easily make at home. And there has never been so many low carb food options available.
I agree.

No real need to focus on all these brand name products, just cook at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss