Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 02:02 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,304,205 times

Advertisements

Long post - sorry.

Had my annual physical 3 weeks ago and was told I was pre-diabetic but that my numbers were too close for comfort to being full-on diabetic. Doc wanted to put me on Ozempic and I said no way due to the horrific side effects I've read about.

I've struggled with my weight since I was in my late-20s and stopped the 30-40 hours of exercise I had been getting prior to moving cold turkey to a city where I knew no one and had no social life and therefore no exercise outlet. Over the years (and two kids later), here I am at my lowest point and highest weight.

I asked the doc how much I needed to lose to get away from "needing" meds, and she said, "Let's go for 10% and retest in a few months."

My problem is that I'm a typical yo-yo dieter who has tried restricting all "bad" foods and then when I "fail" I feel guilt, overeat, and stop trying. And end up at a higher weight than I was before.

Two weeks ago I opted to try intermittent fasting and just pure calorie counting using an app. No restricting types of food, no cutting off carbs or sweets or whatever else they say is bad in excess. Just focus on moderation, but still enjoy food.

My current IF window is 12 p - 10 p (my weakness was late night snacking, so the 10 p cutoff is a win for me). Next week I'll be reducing it to 12 p - 9 p since I've found that by that time of night I'm pretty much not interested in eating anything, so it'll be easy to reduce the window, with a goal of reducing it to 8 p.m. sometime this summer. I've been averaging 1700 calories a day although on Saturdays I don't do IF and I allow myself 2000 calories.

I've lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks and I'm very encouraged. I haven't felt deprived (the main reason past attempts have failed), and I've also been saving money by not going to Starbucks or eating as many lunches out of the office.

So we'll see how it goes, but for now I'm pleased and wish I had made the decision to try IF earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 02:26 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Good for you! I’m in the same boat. I was told to limit carbs and sugar at my last office visit. What’s hard for me is that I eat very little already, and don’t eat much sugar or carbs. I hope my A1C just stays where it is.

Old 05-24-2023, 02:44 PM

26,431 posts, read 46,631,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Long post - sorry.

Had my annual physical 3 weeks ago and was told I was pre-diabetic but that my numbers were too close for comfort to being full-on diabetic. Doc wanted to put me on Ozempic and I said no way due to the horrific side effects I've read about.

I've struggled with my weight since I was in my late-20s and stopped the 30-40 hours of exercise I had been getting prior to moving cold turkey to a city where I knew no one and had no social life and therefore no exercise outlet. Over the years (and two kids later), here I am at my lowest point and highest weight.

I asked the doc how much I needed to lose to get away from "needing" meds, and she said, "Let's go for 10% and retest in a few months."

My problem is that I'm a typical yo-yo dieter who has tried restricting all "bad" foods and then when I "fail" I feel guilt, overeat, and stop trying. And end up at a higher weight than I was before.

Two weeks ago I opted to try intermittent fasting and just pure calorie counting using an app. No restricting types of food, no cutting off carbs or sweets or whatever else they say is bad in excess. Just focus on moderation, but still enjoy food.

My current IF window is 12 p - 10 p (my weakness was late night snacking, so the 10 p cutoff is a win for me). Next week I'll be reducing it to 12 p - 9 p since I've found that by that time of night I'm pretty much not interested in eating anything, so it'll be easy to reduce the window, with a goal of reducing it to 8 p.m. sometime this summer. I've been averaging 1700 calories a day although on Saturdays I don't do IF and I allow myself 2000 calories.

I've lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks and I'm very encouraged. I haven't felt deprived (the main reason past attempts have failed), and I've also been saving money by not going to Starbucks or eating as many lunches out of the office.

So we'll see how it goes, but for now I'm pleased and wish I had made the decision to try IF earlier.
IF is a good start, but I would also drastically reduce any wheat consumption and read food labels. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant, and store bread is one of the most heavily processed foods around with hundreds of ingredients.

Old 05-24-2023, 03:17 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,045,569 times
I've done IF and thought it was not hard to do.

Question: Why are you reducing your window from 10 pm to 9 pm? Doesn't seem necessary and for you might open up snacking because it's legal. Maybe keep the 10 pm (or whenever you go to bed) and reduce window on the earlier end.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-24-2023, 04:35 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I've done IF and thought it was not hard to do.

Question: Why are you reducing your window from 10 pm to 9 pm? Doesn't seem necessary and for you might open up snacking because it's legal. Maybe keep the 10 pm (or whenever you go to bed) and reduce window on the earlier end.
Just my 2 cents.
Conventional wisdom is, don’t eat anything after dinner, whenever dinner is. There is no snacking after dinner. Then fast until mid morning or lunch.

Old 05-24-2023, 04:44 PM

537 posts, read 448,285 times
I'm a type II diabetic, and weight control is most important. If you cannot control your diet on your own, go to a weight loss clinic.

Otherwise, midnight snacks are your biggest enemy. Stop eating the munchies late nights.

And get out and do some hard physical work on a regular basis. It's good for lowering blood sugar 50 points.

I'm not one to believe "pre-diabetes". You either are or you're not--at differing levels.

And get yourself a CGM--Continuous Glucose Monitor--and watch where your blood sugar levels are. They can guide you into what to eat and what not to eat. For example, an ice cream cone knocks me up to 230 points.

The whole issue is to keep a level glucose excluding after meals where you'll have peaks. It's those high peaks and low valleys that hurt your kidneys and put diabetics on dialysis. Dialysis is good for about 4 years until those on it throw a clot to their head, lungs or heart.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:08 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,683,391 times
To keep from snacking after dinner, I make a cup of no-caffeine herbal tea--often a relaxation one. I add a tiny bit of honey.

And sip it slowly. And practice breathing deeply.

This helps fight the urge to snack and has very few calories--plus it's de-stressing. And somehow filling.

A win-win-win.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:26 PM

547 posts, read 332,740 times
non fruit carbs, for me, are the key to weight loss. you might consider some supplements that help with blood sugar -- chromium picolinate, vanadium, niacin or the no flush similar, berberine, moringa are some to look at

cutting carbs and adding blood sugar supplements gives a virtuous cycle of weight loss + blood sugar improvement

stay strong!

Old 05-24-2023, 05:43 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,409,481 times
Quote:
Long post - sorry.

That, and you'll gain back all the weight after you go off it.

Quote:

You can't live on broccoli and chicken breast, contrary to what all the 200-pound dietitians tell you.

Quote:
Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate intolerance. Continued consumption of sweets is apt to have an unhappy result.

Quote:

Good choice--anything but plain coffee at Starbucks is a dessert. Their 16-oz white chocolate mocha (whatever that is) has 53g of sugar--almost 13 teaspoons. That's more carb than what a typical low-carb diet allows in a whole day. Foregoing the quarter-cup of liquid sugar--and other starchy, sugary breakfast foods--may itself explain your weight loss.

Quote:

Old 05-24-2023, 05:57 PM

628 posts, read 314,040 times
Hard to badmouth weight loss and a diet you can stick with.

I don't know anything about Ozempic, but I thought that Metformin, 500mg twice a day, was a starter for diabetics/"pre-diabetics," along with diet change.

My personal situation is slightly different, so I am not sure that it is easy to learn from it, but my new GP found an A1c of 10.7, and didn't hesitate to start with the above dosage and strong diet recommendations. I have had little trouble with limiting my eating since my wife passed away some years ago, and my GP made it easier when he finally convinced me to start with atorvastatin, which somewhat alleviates a concern about fat intake. In the end, I HAVE been careful about carbohydrate intake, especially sugars and the simplest starchy foods. In three months I dropped my A1c to 6.7, and have maintained it for a couple of years mostly below 6.0.

Your success is lauded, and I hope you can maintain it with even less carbohydrate intake. I know that my carbohydrate reduction has not only helped my A1c, but eliminated leg cramps and increased stamina.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss