Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 07:44 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
In regards your Cholesterol - 134
HDL - 41
LDL - 80
Triglycerides - 64....

...Thank your parents, not your dietician or exercise instructor.
My cholesterol has not always been under control.
Historically, it was always close to 200. It only changed when I changed my diet.
I really never heard of a dietician who would approve of my meat-based diet. So dieticians obviously don't have anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 07:15 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I agree with everyone else that watching carbs works for me. My carb tolerance level is extremely low - I know that after years of watching. Onions, tomatoes, carrots, beans - all can cause cravings for more carbs. That's okay, I'll eat those very sparingly, I'd rather stick to a simple eating style of meats/eggs/seafood and low sugar vegetables and good fats.

And at 65 I want to be fit and strong and healthy. I don't want to be the senior citizen shuffling along, barely able to walk.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:02 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I agree with everyone else that watching carbs works for me. My carb tolerance level is extremely low - I know that after years of watching. Onions, tomatoes, carrots, beans - all can cause cravings for more carbs. That's okay, I'll eat those very sparingly, I'd rather stick to a simple eating style of meats/eggs/seafood and low sugar vegetables and good fats.

And at 65 I want to be fit and strong and healthy. I don't want to be the senior citizen shuffling along, barely able to walk.
Weird that onions and tomatoes cause cravings for carbs, for you.

I like my onions sauteed, and dumped on hamburgers. I don't need a bun, and at home when I make them, I eat them with a fork. Very low carbs there.

Tomatoes are best in salsa or salads, for me. Another low-carb option. They don't ever make me crave carbs.

Old 07-10-2023, 08:39 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times
Got very busy with work and forgot all about my thread. Looks like there are some good posts and I need to find the time to read them all. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2023, 04:34 PM
'M'

Here are the books I know about. I am a fan of Dr. Jason Fung M.D., a nephrologist and functional medicine doc. He is registered on the functional medicine website. He is directly responsible for resolving the problems with Type 2 diabetes in nephrology patients, plus anyone else who is overweight, pre-diabetic, or diabetic. Many of his kidney patients also have Type 2 diabetes. He set out to discover why this was the never-ending problem.

I am a private duty home care provider. I have noticed that many of my Type 2 diabetic patients often have a litany of other systemic illnesses like Congestive Heart Failure and kidney disease, including kidney transplants. Diabetes - and being overweight - are often the front runners of all these diseases.

Dr. Fung's solution is a process of the Ketogenic diet combined with intermittent fasting. Why? because this brings the blood sugar levels back to "normal". This arrests the development of diabetes. People do not need diabetic meds or insulin once their body has returned to the pre-diabetic state.

GOOD TO KNOW: Many authors also have an extensive network of YouTube videos that are all free. I tend to use YouTube more than read the books. I google the topics I need on YouTube and read about those topics. I am too busy in my regular life to read tons of books.

What happened was Dr. Fung was able to discover a cure for diabetes. His book explains this. I do not have diabetes, and was concerned I would be diagnosed from being somewhat overweight, as overweight is the beginning stage of Type 2 diabetes. So I am on his plan at the ripe age of 75 to prevent diabetes from developing. I am on my way to my goal weight of 125-130. Note: I am not being charged for any of these YouTubes. No one is, which is the beauty of using YouTube.

I use Dr. Fung's Facebook group - that has 159,000+ members, on intermittent fasting ....The Fasting Method Network by Dr. Jason Fung & Megan Ramos...Private group. I am a member of this free group. There is a lot of free group support for this group.
·
I study Dr. Fung's YouTubes, too, so I am on the right path. He has published all of his findings for anyone to study. YouTube is often like classroom for anything you might want to know more about.

Dr. Fung has written a number of books including The Obesity Code, The Diabetes Code, and also The Cancer Code (I am not as familiar with The Cancer Code). There is also a book about intermittent fasting titled The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting by Jimmy Moore and Dr. Jason Fung, et al.

Women may want to purchase the book written especially for women, instead of the first book: The Essential Guide to Intermittent Fasting for Women: Balance Your Hormones to Lose Weight, Lower Stress, and Optimize Health by Megan Ramos and Dr. Jason Fung | Jun 6, 2023

I was hoping that other City Data members would share about any cutting edge books they have read about how to end diabetes and tell us what they have learned. It is often good to hear different opinions from a wide variety of people. Many people did post here about what they are doing. The solutions are all mostly from a similar mindset, and as many of you pointed out, you tweaked your solution so that it worked the best for you. What many probablly don't realize is: we often find a better solution for our own condition when we can discover what someone else did that worked the best for them. Some of those solutions can't be found in any book. Thanks to all who posted your own knowledge base for keeping weight levels healthy and stable.

For those of you who like to read about the science behind different solutions, you can check any of Dr. Jason Fung's books out at your local library. Many libraries I have used in the past - I used to live in the mountains.....the Estes Park, CO library ordered many books for me through the years. Libraries will either order a brand new book for their library system, or they will simply obtain a book from another city's library and allow their library member to enjoy the book borrowed from another library system.

Last edited by 'M'; 07-16-2023 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-18-2023, 04:24 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
1. Jason Fung is a quack.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Jason_Fung

2. There is no "cure" for diabetes, because there is no singular "cause" of diabetes. Obesity is the most common cause of diabetes type 2 - and the "cure" for that, if that is the cause, is to - not be obese.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:40 AM
'M'

Default Dr. Jason Fung M.D. is a functional medicine doctor

Ghaati We will need to agree to disagree. Don't agree with your summary. I don't patronize quack doctors. Never have. Never will. Personally, have spent zero money on Dr. Fung. Don't agree with Wiki, which is one of my best resources. I donate $$$ to Wiki.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:39 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Agreed 'M.' I've read a lot of Dr. Fungs work too, and agree he is no quack. I also like the teachings of Dr. Westman. And Dr. Berry is a blast, no holds barred guy who tells it like it is. I enjoy his journey to Keto, and then Carnivore, through his own trial and errors with his own health. It's hard to beat a Doc that's willing to experiment on themselves before their clients.

Any 'quack' in this game might be 'Dr.' Berg...he prescribes to way too many carbs for the average beginner, imho, has an entire line of merchandise to sell, and his religion is part of his game. I don't listen to the likes of that.

I work out a lot, so don't prescribe to the allotted 20 carbs a day. Probably closer to 60. I had a bit of a tummy, and it's now gone. I lost it in 2 months on Keto.

My wife got me started. She secretly was doing Keto, learning about it, reading, YouTube, etc. She lost 33 lbs. before she finally told me about the diet and it's benefits. I joined her that day. I find it an easy diet to follow, as she's learned to bake Keto-style, so if I want something sweet, she knows how to do it with Allulose and almond flour instead of sugar and wheat-flour.

But the most amazing thing that happened, was all the pain I had felt through the years, was gone within a couple of weeks. I was stunned. No more back pain, no more knee pain, no more taking daily hits of Alleve, which I found out is devastating to your liver, thanks to Mrs. T.

I'll never go back to a high-carb diet. I feel too good about being alive and pain-free on Keto.
I feel like screaming from the rooftops about this diet, and wish I'd learned about it sooner. I'm trying to convert my two sisters and my Brother-in-Law right now. They desperately need Keto, but seem adamant to hang onto bread, beans, seed-oils, sugar and fruit. Hopefully I'll get through to them.

Dr. Fungs' ideals on fasting make perfect sense. Autophagy will certainly aide in cleaning out dead cells and rejuvenate mitochondria.

Oh, and hey guidoLaMoto! Nothing wrong with caring about your health after 70! Getting rid of the chronic pain alone is worth considering this diet. (I know what you're trying to say, but again---hey! )

PS: Whoever mentioned adding more protein to your choice of lunch, and ditching that carrot-is correct. Rule of thumb on this diet: If it grows as a root vegetable, it hangs onto a lot of carbs. If it grows above-ground as the edible part, it is generally safer/less carbs.

Last edited by TerraDown; 07-26-2023 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-26-2023, 01:33 PM
'M'

Ghaati .... thanks! You would need to study what Dr. Jason Fung M.D. has written in his many books and YouTube videos and classes in order to understand his solutions. You chose to post information about Dr. Fung from a sketchy website. I don't disagree with all you have said, but you will need to straighten your misunderstandings out for yourself. I understand what he has written because I do a lot of research, checking of resources, and studying, and as always, I check it out for myself. I'm done with this portion of our discussion.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:37 PM
'M'

TerraDown - thanks, your post looks good! I'm short of time this afternoon and want to read your entire post when I have more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss