Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 10:00 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I suspect many people give up on low carb diets because they can't bring themselves to embrace the fat. Fat is flavor! I don't like plain cauliflower, but add butter and seasoning and it's delicious!

The damn Food Pyramid convinced us all that we must avoid fat.
That damned Food Pyramid.
We have been taught the wrong ideas since we were children. It is hard now to take ideas which we all knew as "truth" and reject them. Most of us, in fact, will not be able to do it. Most of us will go right on eating salads doused in flavored lubricating oil until we die from being too fat and too poisoned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2023, 09:14 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I went on the KETO diet some years ago. It took a while to get it figured out, but once I did the weight got off quickly. It isn't an easy diet to stick to though, and I will never do it again because I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. My meds keep that in check, but it's playing Russian Roulette to eat a KETO diet in my 70's w/ those health issues.

I'd like to lose about 10 lbs now, but its being done the old fashioned way. Lots of fish and salads, and counting my calories and exercising more. Carbs aren't a problem unless someone is eating bad carbs like fries and such. It's about calories taken in, and calories burnt off. An occasional water/juice fast is healthy too.

Old 09-13-2023, 01:59 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
So ive been doing the keto diet for a month now, however ive finally hit ketosis this week for the first time. While I did lose some weight, theres been a huge difference once I got into Ketosis over 7 days now. You can buy test strips that are basically an unlimited supply for $5 on amazon to determine if youre on ketosis.

Its taken me a month of making small dietary mistakes thats kept me from going into ketosis. The mistakes I made that kept me from entering ketosis were having carrots, ketchup, I read cheese was Keto but American Cheese is not Keto, eating yogurt based dressing (just avoid them all). As soon as I fixed these mistakes boom I made it into a ketosis state. Hope my beginner mistakes help some of you.

Old 11-12-2023, 09:00 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times
Ruth4Truth - thanks for your opinions and ideas. I don't have time for CityData Forum very often...I work more than full time and also have other obligations. I have read about seed oils for many years, and see them referenced in articles, books. When I/we see health information we don't understand, that's when I/we can decide to research that topic and find out enough information where we can make informed health decisions. People need to understand this, and take responsibility for their health. If my doc can't answer my questions to my satisfaction, I find the answers myself.

Click on this link to do the research: how are seed oils damaging to our eye health? .

We need to be a partner with our doctors. We all need to stay current with medical solutions. People who read very little will not be aware of some of these more advanced ideas. For example, that's why some sports fans know so much about football...they READ and research teams, players. We cannot expect the average doctor to stay current with what is out there.

Functional medicine docs tend to be energetic, curious, and go the extra mile to find original scientific, biological, medical remedies for all sorts of conditions.

I am 76 and rarely take prescription medicines, which can have very annoying side effects. I have other resources I use to find holistic treatments for whatever ails me. Also, I refuse to have every area of my body surgically removed or altered, and refuse unnecessary surgeries. Several months ago I refused a very common surgery - and often unnecessary - and I have used appropriate supplements to bring my body back into alignment/good health. There are other ways to heal the body without having surgery. I do have a primary care doctor who is an excellent diagnostician, and often get her opinions. There are a lot of people like me out there.

I find that unless doctors are functional medicine doctors they often know only the textbook/medical school teachings, which at times can become very outdated - click on this link to the institute for functional medicine:
https://www.ifm.org/functional-medic...onal-medicine/

Dr. Jason Fung M.D. is a functional medicine doc. Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube researches health issues and provides detailed scientific info, as well as on KETO and intermittent fasting. Advanced health programs on PBS are often presented by functional medicine docs. Take the challenge for yourself and start doing some research on advanced health issues.

Last edited by 'M'; 11-12-2023 at 09:22 PM..

Old 11-14-2023, 09:27 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I went on the Keto diet 2 years ago. At first it was very hard to stick to, I was eating food that I had completely cut from my diet many years ago. Pork rinds? I never ate them, ever, but they're pretty tasty, especially the salt & vinegar ones. After finally figuring the diet out (hint, those Atkins Broccoli and Steak frozen dinners were a staple, along w/ cream cheese that was melted on them) the weight literally flew off.

But here's the problem w/ this diet....it is absurdly unhealthy! I rationalized this by saying it was just temporary, but eating high fat foods will have a very untemporary affect on your arteries. It's a dangerous diet for seniors, as most of us are already having issues w/ high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. So when the weight mysteriously reappeared, possibly because my brain and mouth have a dysfunctional relationship, I turned to counting calories.

That worked fine, and if anything, it was a much healthier diet even if I didn't want to lose weight. It's not just donuts that are a problem. You would not believe how many calories are in pasta sauteed in olive oil, sprinkled w/ Parmesan cheese, w/ a slice of garlic bread on the side. And pizza? Please. A few slices were as much as a whole day's calorie limit, not to mention the unhealthy enriched flour crust and the high salt and fat content. I still allow myself a slice or two each month, but that's it.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:08 AM

5,143 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I went on the Keto diet 2 years ago. At first it was very hard to stick to, I was eating food that I had completely cut from my diet many years ago. Pork rinds? I never ate them, ever, but they're pretty tasty, especially the salt & vinegar ones. After finally figuring the diet out (hint, those Atkins Broccoli and Steak frozen dinners were a staple, along w/ cream cheese that was melted on them) the weight literally flew off.

But here's the problem w/ this diet....it is absurdly unhealthy! I rationalized this by saying it was just temporary, but eating high fat foods will have a very untemporary affect on your arteries. It's a dangerous diet for seniors, as most of us are already having issues w/ high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. So when the weight mysteriously reappeared, possibly because my brain and mouth have a dysfunctional relationship, I turned to counting calories.

That worked fine, and if anything, it was a much healthier diet even if I didn't want to lose weight. It's not just donuts that are a problem. You would not believe how many calories are in pasta sauteed in olive oil, sprinkled w/ Parmesan cheese, w/ a slice of garlic bread on the side. And pizza? Please. A few slices were as much as a whole day's calorie limit, not to mention the unhealthy enriched flour crust and the high salt and fat content. I still allow myself a slice or two each month, but that's it.
Temporary diets don’t work, lifestyle changes get results. Age 68, I’ve been on a low-carb lifestyle now for over ten years. My weight dropped from 273 to 195 in the first three years and I’ve maintained that loss. I do not count calories and eat an average of 60g of carbs a day, so not really keto in the strict sense, just low carb. There are so many food products available now that support a low-carb lifestyle, it’s really not that difficult to do.

Before going low carb, my lab test results were bad news. I had abnormal cholesterol, hypertension, painful joints, etc. Now everything is in the normal range and I take no Rx medications at all. IMO the weight loss was the major contributor to the improvements. I maintain that weight loss via a low carb lifestyle.

Old 11-17-2023, 02:58 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
...........But here's the problem w/ this diet....it is absurdly unhealthy! I rationalized this by saying it was just temporary, but eating high fat foods will have a very untemporary affect on your arteries. It's a dangerous diet for seniors, as most of us are already having issues w/ high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc............
Not everyone believes that, any more. We've been taught what you believe for many, many years, but a lot of people are holding up protest flags.
Many people are now claiming the cholesterol story was all a myth and the real culprit is sugar in its various forms and the insulin it calls for. Fingers are being pointed at "vegetable shortenings", butter substitutes and manufactured foods that are promoted as being healthy.

I switched back to lard, real butter, eggs and meat and limit my diet to single ingredient foods.
I don't think its bad for you at all.
Age 78. Male. Cholesterol 134/triglycerides 60/weight 180.

I don't know much about Keto, but I suppose I stick pretty close to it.

Old 12-09-2023, 11:39 AM
'M'

stephenMM - heatlh professionals/doctors also use the KETO and Intermittent Fasting diet. We are now of the mindset that the KETO way of eating, with moderate protein, higher fat, and lower carb is indeed a healthier way of eating than we had thought. There has been much research about this by medical people. One person who explains this very well is Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube. Here is one of his YouTubes: https://youtu.be/a-gi0K6BBlU?si=HlgRR3nL8fUblD1- Dr. Berg promotes eating more greens and vegetables.

He and his wife have eaten this way for many years. Some people go on a more conservative KETO diet, eat a higher carb ratio and lower their fat a little bit, but it still is a more conservative KETO way of eating than the Standard American Diet. Carbs - which includes starches and junk foods - contribute to diabetes if we don't manage our carbs well. Some people like me are especially sensitive to the starches. I do better eating more green, red, and yellow veggies and omitting starches. It did take me a while to accept this. Once I realized, and saw how much it improved keeping my weight lower and healthier, I let go of the resistance to making this lifestyle change. I myself am 76 years old and manage my own health through the food I eat (and don't eat).

Dr. Berg does his own medical research on KETO. He uses medical textbooks, medical journals, and other medical literature to discover the truth about nutrition. In fact, Dr. Berg researches all kinds of health solutions every day beginning in the morning until the end of the day, using his extensive medical library. Many other doctors also have done their own research to get down to the truth about nutrition. These same doctors have improved their own health with KETO. What people don't realize is that some doctors never stop going to school, doing research, to learn the truth about arresting many harmful health conditions, like diabetes.

Dr. Barry Sears PhD - a biochemist was awarded the Nobel Prize in medicine in 1982 for his discoveries in the role that specialized hormones, known as eicosanoids, play in the development of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, auto-immune diseases, and cancer....related to his Zone Diet research...another Keto-type way of eating....lower carb, lower protein and higher fat. His biography is amazing because he had contributed in some very major ways of the improvement of health through diet. One of his quotes I love is: Food is our most important drug. I will say that the Wikipedia entry for Dr. Barry Sears biography in Wikipedia explicitly omitted his 1982 Nobel prize. This is why it pays to be familiar with the people through the years who have influenced your health decisions. There are others who do not want us to be familiar with Nobel prize awards. Read this article link below for more scientific information about Dr. Barry Sears. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/c...arry-sears-phd

Dr. Jason Fung is one of those doctors who launched an intensive project to help his kidney patients who he began to notice had a high incidence of diabetics.

Here is a brief biography of Dr. Fung: "Dr. Jason Fung is a Canadian nephrologist. He’s a world-leading expert on intermittent fasting and low carb, especially for treating people with type 2 diabetes. He has written three best-selling health books and he co-founded the Intensive Dietary Management program.

Dr. Fung has his own website at thefastingmethod.com.

Dr. Fung graduated from the University of Toronto and completed his residency at the University of California, Los Angeles. He lives and works in Toronto, Canada." (source of the last 3 paragraphs: Wikipedia).

Dr. Fung is also a Functional Medicine doctor. Here is important information about Functional Medicine. https://doctorsstudio.com/functional...r-credentials/

Feel free to do your own research about functional medicine....the internet has a tremendous amount of information on functional medicine. What I've noticed about functional medicine doctors is that they have a strong curiosity about science and how to use science to retrieve better answers on health and healing. They spend their own time doing the research that provides the answers.

Dr. Mark Hyman is also one of these doctors, and I'm sure many of you who watch PBS see many special educational programs by functional medicine docs.

Since some of you City Data Forum members seem to be interested in the topic I posted some months ago, I've included bonafide references to some doctors achievements and awards in their field...including Dr. Sears 1982 Nobel prize. I'll bet some of you may find even more references like these if you enjoy resesarch.

Last edited by 'M'; 12-09-2023 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-09-2023, 12:00 PM
'M'

Actually, many nutritionists/dieticians do approve of your way of eating. You'll need to find one that has studied KETO, and does approve of KETO. There have been many schools of study on nutrition and diet. As for coffee, yes, I have read articles about the many beneifts of coffee. That little coffee bean packs a lot of nutrition.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...fits-of-coffee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss