Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2023, 11:08 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

I’m the grandmother, so I don’t say anything. But is there a reason why kids from thin families are fat?

I was just on an active family vacation with my daughter, SIL, and their 3 grown children. Granddaughter is rail thin, eldest brother is normal weight despite eating A LOT. Youngest brother is about 300# and has been heavy all his life. He has always participated in sports, and doesn’t seem to eat nearly as much as his thin brother. He had a hard time keeping up physically with his family.

I know he lost some weight on an exercise program, before he got Covid a few years ago, but hasn’t gone back to it. Both his apartment and his place of work have gyms he can use. He has siblings and parents who I know would support his efforts if necessary. He live out of state, so it’s not as if he has any one to cook for him or support him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 11:16 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
A study came out this spring that found that being overweight actually may rewire someone's brain to not recognize hunger and fullness cues:

Quote:
Obesity may damage the brain’s ability to recognize the sensation of fullness and be satisfied after eating fats and sugars, a new study found.

“There was no sign of reversibility — the brains of people with obesity continued to lack the chemical responses that tell the body, ‘OK, you ate enough,’” said Dr. Caroline Apovian, a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and codirector of the Center for Weight Management and Wellness at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.
Obviously, more needs to be studied, but this might be the reason why people struggle with their weight for their entire lives. Your brain doesn't register when you're. Having been a chubby kid myself, I can see this happening. I have to be very intentional about how much and how often I eat, because unlike some of my friends and family, I don't feel full often. I have to consciously tell myself, "that's enough" and push the plate away or portion out meals ahead of time.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-28-2023 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-28-2023, 03:24 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A study came out this spring that found that being overweight actually may rewire someone's brain to not recognize hunger and fullness cues:

Obviously, more needs to be studied, but this might be the reason why people struggle with their weight for their entire lives. Your brain doesn't register when you're. Having been a chubby kid myself, I can see this happening. I have to be very intentional about how much and how often I eat, because unlike some of my friends and family, I don't feel full often. I have to consciously tell myself, "that's enough" and push the plate away or portion out meals ahead of time.
You really need to go to the papers though as so many journalists don't know how to read and there aren't any editors anymore so they get things grossly wrong.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42255-023-00816-9

There's no indication that obesity rewired anything. The study didn't look at whether the people who were obese used to have non-impaired brain function which became impaired as a result of them becoming obese or it was the opposite and they always had impaired brain function which made them more susceptible to being obese. It's speculative either way since the study did not ask that question and included no methodology from which one could answer it. It took people who were obese and noted impaired brain function versus non-obese people. After losing weight, the obese people continued to have the same impaired brain function. To me it makes more sense they just always had impaired brain function which is what made them more prone to obesity in the first place.... but I have no more evidence for that statement than the journalists.

Anecdotally, I can happily chow down on a party-sized bag of chips without remorse. Am I hungry? No, but that 1,600 calories of sweet sweet Dorito goodliness doesn't seem to care that I wasn't hungry when I started the bag of 'em and now they're all gone and I'm searching for crumbs. It's also pretty normal that I make it to 4-5 in the afternoon without eating anything before realizing it. I don't really know what any of that means other than I don't carry bags of Doritos around with me. If I get some as a snack I take a bowl of them as otherwise I'll eat the entire damn bag without realizing it.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-28-2023 at 03:33 PM..

Old 07-28-2023, 04:58 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,494,968 times
I know many kids who were a bit chubby but after they hit their growth spurt, turned into athletic adults.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:11 PM

483 posts, read 353,513 times
Overconsumption of food and specifically carbohydrates is the probably the cause. I was a chubby kid, got thin once I hit puberty and then got thicker again as an adult. Three years ago I turned 50 and was 50 pounds heavier than I was at 18. After going over to a low-carb diet, doing intermittent fasting and more exercise I am now back at the same weight I was 35 years-ago.

Check out the concept of epigenetics. It would seem that once you have been overweight for an extended period of time your body (epigenome) remembers this and that becomes your default weight if you resume bad dietary habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss