Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 12:12 PM

48,575 posts, read 34,956,927 times

Advertisements

Rest assured, my family and I are all foodies. A huge portion of our travel, camping, and visiting each other involves our menu and what we will be cooking.

I'm in charge of anything that needs to be sous vide, my sister is in charge of any baking or cake decorating, all of us make sourdough, and half of us make our own pasta, my niece is in charge of fancy cocktails, all the men grill and smoke meats.

We are ALL about the food.

And 90% of us love plant based foods, so our cooking leans that way even when there are ribs on the grill.

I'm not sure why you are stuck on salads, because that is like what you do when no one wants to cook. There is so much more to a plant centric diet than salads.

But back to the OP who IS interested in dropping some weight.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 12:17 PM

22,026 posts, read 13,054,832 times
You may be a foodie, but you've stated that your PREFERENCE is for naturally slimming foods.

That's the difference.

I agree; back to the OP!

Old 05-01-2024, 12:33 PM

24,665 posts, read 11,011,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, 49 (perimenopausal or fully menopausal) and female. There's your answer! It's mine, too, unfortunately...
You are 49 and cannot loose weight due to menopause?

Old 05-01-2024, 12:45 PM

24,665 posts, read 11,011,123 times
I dare to say that we eat well and could cut down on this that or the other. Life is to short as SO's two mayor surgeries in three years have shown. One basically body abuse sports/work. Cardio and Ortho are very happy with him. Will I deny him a steak, a bottle of wine or a cookie. H no!!!! I am too healthy for my age, no pills, nothing Merlot will not cure. In February we decided to add more fruit for SO and raw/pickled vegetables for me. A size for both of us.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You are 49 and cannot loose weight due to menopause?
"Lose." I am 65. But the average age of menopause (which is when a woman has gone a year without a period) is 51. The ten or so years preceding that is perimenopause. To put it bluntly: better get down to your goal weight by 40 and work to stay there unless you want to have to take desperate measures to lose it later.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:30 PM

7,149 posts, read 12,695,855 times
I started my new food adventure after reading a bunch of books about nutrition and how to eat to avoid heart disease, diabetes, HBP, weight gain, inflammatory issues and so forth.

In some ways, I think I was kind of brainwashing myself into choosing healthier foods than I had been. It's interesting how "nutrient-dense" foods kind of give me a feeling of a power surge--as though my body has said "thank you!"

Once I made the switch, there was no discomfort or feeling of deprivation.

Yes, I like to cook-but not overly complex or pricey meals. I seek out more simple, seasonal and the use of many spices--they can make or break the dish! (some homegrown).

We eat Greek, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Mexican, American, Italian and other ethnic foods. I like the challenge of learning new recipes!

Before I pop something in my mouth (or grocery cart), I ask myself--will this make me healthy or harm me?? Usually stops me in my tracks. (the result of reading all those books!)

The mind is a curious thing. If we tell ourselves we're feeling deprived--that's just how we'll feel. If we tell ourselves, "I'm going to eat to live", then we'll feel that way.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:55 PM

11,626 posts, read 6,094,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Rest assured, my family and I are all foodies. A huge portion of our travel, camping, and visiting each other involves our menu and what we will be cooking.

I'm in charge of anything that needs to be sous vide, my sister is in charge of any baking or cake decorating, all of us make sourdough, and half of us make our own pasta, my niece is in charge of fancy cocktails, all the men grill and smoke meats.

We are ALL about the food.

And 90% of us love plant based foods, so our cooking leans that way even when there are ribs on the grill.

I'm not sure why you are stuck on salads, because that is like what you do when no one wants to cook. There is so much more to a plant centric diet than salads.

But back to the OP who IS interested in dropping some weight.
I miss Sourdough bread massively. That is one of my great regrets after finally cutting back dramatically on carbohydrates. I have an occassional piece of healthy whole grain wheat with breakfast. That is the only bread I allow myself these days.

A quality piece of buttered Sourdough bread rivals dessert for me. I miss it dearly. Now, it is just a holiday treat. I may buy a loaf over Christmas but that is about it. Dang I miss it!!!!!!!! Add a few hundred more exclamation points here.

Old 05-01-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I started my new food adventure after reading a bunch of books about nutrition and how to eat to avoid heart disease, diabetes, HBP, weight gain, inflammatory issues and so forth.

In some ways, I think I was kind of brainwashing myself into choosing healthier foods than I had been. It's interesting how "nutrient-dense" foods kind of give me a feeling of a power surge--as though my body has said "thank you!"

Once I made the switch, there was no discomfort or feeling of deprivation.

Yes, I like to cook-but not overly complex or pricey meals. I seek out more simple, seasonal and the use of many spices--they can make or break the dish! (some homegrown).

We eat Greek, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Mexican, American, Italian and other ethnic foods. I like the challenge of learning new recipes!

Before I pop something in my mouth (or grocery cart), I ask myself--will this make me healthy or harm me?? Usually stops me in my tracks. (the result of reading all those books!)

The mind is a curious thing. If we tell ourselves we're feeling deprived--that's just how we'll feel. If we tell ourselves, "I'm going to eat to live", then we'll feel that way.
From what I've read, we are similar in the types of food we consume, and how we view nutrition.

For myself, I think I noticed what my nutritional needs were after a trip. We had been on a cruise through Alaska, and then a week in Vancouver.

After that trip I noticed that I craved home cooking (which was generally whole foods). I mean craved.
Then I realized that this was always the case after travel, where we would stop to eat at chains and fast food. (We were young and poor-ish )

After that I started keeping track of what food made me feel good. I concentrated my diet in those areas. Lots of veggies and whole grains. Sure, I'll have a grilled tomahawk, but maybe once every few months. Also, I love me a good burger, so that will be every few months..... and yes, absence makes the taste buds grow fonder. Everything is about moderation. And the thing with food? There is NO end to all the different recipes you can make.

Because we live in an extremely rural area, dinner can be like an episode of Chopped. "I have asparagus, and spinach in the garden, flour in the pantry, frozen peas and eggs, and a block of parm in the fridge." What's for dinner?

Pasta carbonara.

Old 05-01-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I miss Sourdough bread massively. That is one of my great regrets after finally cutting back dramatically on carbohydrates. I have an occassional piece of healthy whole grain wheat with breakfast. That is the only bread I allow myself these days.

A quality piece of buttered Sourdough bread rivals dessert for me. I miss it dearly. Now, it is just a holiday treat. I may buy a loaf over Christmas but that is about it. Dang I miss it!!!!!!!! Add a few hundred more exclamation points here.
I feel ya.

Generally, fresh sourdough is supposed to be better for those watching their glycemic levels. I've never tested my blood sugar after eating it, because I don't want to know.

I allow myself one slice, fresh out of the oven, with Kerry gold butter.

It. Is. Divine.

Otherwise it is one slice of some Dave's Killer Bread for me.

Besides that, I have a recipe for a rustic bread loaf from (Harvard?), that DH will make for me. It's good from a "hello, I am a rustic bread that peasants would have had because they had no other options". Meaning I like it, but it is not the "best of bread."

Old 05-01-2024, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

How sad! Will it really extend - or even improve - your life? Who knows??? I remember when fat was the devil (now we know better) and my parents deprived (yes, deprived) themselves of shrimp, real butter, egg yolks, etc. In fact, it's now believed our current obesity epidemic stems from this era. At any rate, by the end of their lives, neither could really eat food at all. I wonder if they ever regretted passing up those simple pleasures when they could have enjoyed them. After all, they died anyway.

I know I would!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss