Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 05:47 PM

14,366 posts, read 11,763,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How sad! Will it really extend - or even improve - your life? Who knows??? I remember when fat was the devil (now we know better) and my parents deprived (yes, deprived) themselves of shrimp, real butter, egg yolks, etc. In fact, it's now believed our current obesity epidemic stems from this era. At any rate, by the end of their lives, neither could really eat food at all. I wonder if they ever regretted passing up those simple pleasures when they could have enjoyed them. After all, they died anyway.

I know I would!
I recall that my grandma was a health food nut before that was mainstream. She never touched alcohol, didn't eat sweets, took tons of vitamins and put wheat germ in everything. And she was thin and in decent shape, because she never learned to drive and walked everywhere.

But at a certain point, I think in her mid-80s, she gave all the "health food" up. I guess she figured she'd lived long enough and if whatever she ate from then on killed her, so be it. She would have a glass of wine with dinner and a bowl of ice cream for dessert every night, and whatever else she wanted.

She lived to 97...

So it does make sense to me to enjoy whatever you like in your old age; of course, you have to get there first.

Last edited by saibot; 05-01-2024 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 06:55 PM

14,366 posts, read 11,763,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So it does make sense to me to enjoy whatever you like in your old age; of course, you have to get there first.
By which, of course, I mean that people who maintain a healthy weight, practice moderation in diet and get plenty of exercise are more likely to reach old age in the first place.

Yeah, I don't need to hear about your 200-lb. grandma who ate fried chicken and chocolate cake every day for her entire life, smoked a pack a day and never exercised unless you count walking from the sofa to the fridge, but made it to age 100 in perfect health. People like that are extreme outliers.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:12 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,411,904 times
God this thread is depressing...lol.. I DO NOT want to go through menopause.. Having to eat to little just to maintain a normal weight seems miserable.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 11,011,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
God this thread is depressing...lol.. I DO NOT want to go through menopause.. Having to eat to little just to maintain a normal weight seems miserable.
Do not worry. There is life, fun and food after menopause. Even s.. . I just had two helpings of tortellini with ham, mushrooms and cream and two glasses of wine. Now off to desert and some whine.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:45 AM

9,488 posts, read 5,269,919 times
I've always heard that caloric deficit works against you when dieting. So you really have to eat enough so your body doesn't go into 'starvation mode.' And then of course exercise.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:47 AM

9,488 posts, read 5,269,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
One time, my OB/GYN told me 'menopause never really ends.' LOL. I was like OMG, seriously? of course, there are worse things.
I stopped taking HRT because I could not handle the cocktail -the progesterone part of it. I went through meno early in life.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:12 AM

22,026 posts, read 13,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
One time, my OB/GYN told me 'menopause never really ends.' LOL. I was like OMG, seriously?
Well, d'oh, of course not; once the hormones are gone, they're gone, and they're not coming back. I often read (on meno boards), "How long does this last?" It's called the CHANGE; you're not going to change back into your younger self, HRT or no HRT. It's touted as a miracle cure or the fountain of youth, but it ain't that. For me, it ended my debilitating 24/7 hot flashes, but I still got old, I still got grey, and I still got fat!

I've also read that "starvation mode" is a myth, but who knows? In general (unless you're blessed with thin genes or have some sort of eating disorder; I'm not sure which it is with the skinny older women I know), you have to eat less -- usually a LOT less -- calories in order to maintain your previous, premenopausal weight. That's just how it is...

Last edited by otterhere; 05-02-2024 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-02-2024, 07:49 AM

6,458 posts, read 4,949,074 times
get a new scale,one of those super accurate digital ones, we use ours for weighing luggage and ourselves of course

Old 05-02-2024, 08:34 AM

3,317 posts, read 9,199,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But we know what she meant.

A 5x5 slab of fat weighs less than a 5x5 slab of muscle.

If I said this bar of gold weighs more than this bag of feathers, everyone knows what was meant.
You are confusing mass (volume) versus weight.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445228/
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/muscle-vs-fat-weight

Old 05-02-2024, 08:47 AM

3,280 posts, read 1,707,712 times
OP, thinks that dieting for 2 weeks would have results. When some people diet for 2 months and finally start to show real results.

That's because a diet is a lifestyle change, 1-2 weeks isn't going to do much change unless your body was already adapted.

I can easily lose 5 lbs in 1-2 weeks because my body uses bodyfat for energy rather than food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss