Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 09:07 AM

22,026 posts, read 13,054,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
OP, thinks that dieting for 2 weeks would have results. When some people diet for 2 months and finally start to show real results.

That's because a diet is a lifestyle change, 1-2 weeks isn't going to do much change unless your body was already adapted.

I can easily lose 5 lbs in 1-2 weeks because my body uses bodyfat for energy rather than food.
Pre-menopause, I would watch my weight and lower my intake/up my activity when I'd hit five pounds over (which rarely happened). I could easily get back down to my ideal weight within a week or two.

Now...not so much!

If by "fat-adapted" you're referring to intermittent fasting, I tried that, too. Didn't work for me. Turns out it's not recommended for post-menopausal women.

Given all this, I've decided to just eat "normally" for me (how I've always eaten), and let the chips fall where they may... I'm not HAPPY about it - I'd much rather be at my former weight eating this way - but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 10:03 AM

11,626 posts, read 6,094,136 times
I address this to whomever sent me this message: "Weigh" is the key word... a pound of feathers weigh the same as a pound of pennies.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

Oak wood weighs more than balsa wood.

Lead weighs more than aluminum.

As we learned in high school chemistry, an atom of Lead weighs much more than an atom of Aluminum, so a bowling ball made of solid Lead will weigh much more than a bowling ball mde of solid Aluminum.

It takes a larger amount of fat to match the weight of a smaller amount of muscle. That is what "weigh" means. You compare the same size of two different substances, and the more dense substance will weigh more.

Sure, a pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of marshmallows. Get the point yet? Marshmallows weigh WAY LESS than lead.

Muscle weighs more than fat. You have to have more fat for a pound of it than for a pound of muscle.

This isn't rocket science. It is just chemistry.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:38 AM

29,759 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've also read that "starvation mode" is a myth, but who knows? In general (unless you're blessed with thin genes or have some sort of eating disorder; I'm not sure which it is with the skinny older women I know), you have to eat less -- usually a LOT less -- calories in order to maintain your previous, premenopausal weight. That's just how it is...
I think that's the source of the "Boomer Mom diet" jokes online--"you want lunch? I had a black coffee and half a piece of dry toast six hours ago, so I couldn't possibly eat any more." From what I've seen in some intuitive eating groups, younger women are trying harder to accept that bodies change over time, and women don't have to weigh what they did in high school or try fit into their wedding dresses to be healthy after menopause.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:01 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,448,709 times
Math, for the uninformed:

If you cut out muscle tissue from someone and stuff it in a box that's 3"x3"x3", and then cut out fat and stuff it into another box of the same measurements, and weigh each one separately on a scale, the box with the muscle will weigh more than the box of the fat. Muscle is more dense than fat. If you fill that box with feathers and press them down to stuff in as many as possible, it'll weigh less than muscle, and it'll weigh less than fat.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 11,011,123 times
Quote:
Well, d'oh, of course not; once the hormones are gone, they're gone, and they're not coming back. I often read (on meno boards), "How long does this last?" It's called the CHANGE; you're not going to change back into your younger self, HRT or no HRT. It's touted as a miracle cure or the fountain of youth, but it ain't that. For me, it ended my debilitating 24/7 hot flashes, but I still got old, I still got grey, and I still got fat!

I've also read that "starvation mode" is a myth, but who knows? In general (unless you're blessed with thin genes or have some sort of eating disorder; I'm not sure which it is with the skinny older women I know), you have to eat less -- usually a LOT less -- calories in order to maintain your previous, premenopausal weight. That's just how it is...
You may want to discuss other options for personal furnace control such as Viozah with how physician. It is possible to mess up your system with JoJo dieting and medication. Did you ever sit down with your physician and your notes since onset of memo to locate potential triggers?

Old 05-03-2024, 05:32 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,646,046 times
Don't have time right now to read through all the replies, but you want to make sure to get your thyroid tested if it hasn't been already. Hypothyroidism will make it hard to lose weight.

Old 05-03-2024, 05:58 AM

3,317 posts, read 9,199,339 times
Quote:
Pre-menopause, I would watch my weight and lower my intake/up my activity when I'd hit five pounds over (which rarely happened). I could easily get back down to my ideal weight within a week or two.

Now...not so much!

If by "fat-adapted" you're referring to intermittent fasting, I tried that, too. Didn't work for me. Turns out it's not recommended for post-menopausal women.

Given all this, I've decided to just eat "normally" for me (how I've always eaten), and let the chips fall where they may... I'm not HAPPY about it - I'd much rather be at my former weight eating this way - but it is what it is.
And then there is apparently 25% of the elderly who can not gain weight. I got down to within 9 lbs of underweight, was eating carbs like crazy. From the age of 12 when I hit puberty til about 2 years ago at age 67, I would have ballooned up to 300 in a heartbeat. But now, I couldn’t gain to save my neck. I’ve actually lost weight. My PCP ran every test he could think of, including X-rays, a CT scan with and without contrast, and an ultrasound. Nothing was discovered. I’m apparently in that 25%. I’m not complaining, cause I enjoy eating things that I really couldn’t enjoy for decades.

Old 05-03-2024, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I address this to whomever sent me this message: "Weigh" is the key word... a pound of feathers weigh the same as a pound of pennies.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

Oak wood weighs more than balsa wood.

Lead weighs more than aluminum.

As we learned in high school chemistry, an atom of Lead weighs much more than an atom of Aluminum, so a bowling ball made of solid Lead will weigh much more than a bowling ball mde of solid Aluminum.

It takes a larger amount of fat to match the weight of a smaller amount of muscle. That is what "weigh" means. You compare the same size of two different substances, and the more dense substance will weigh more.

Sure, a pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of marshmallows. Get the point yet? Marshmallows weigh WAY LESS than lead.

Muscle weighs more than fat. You have to have more fat for a pound of it than for a pound of muscle.

This isn't rocket science. It is just chemistry.
You are comparing same size. That’s the issue. It takes different AMOUNTS to make up a lb of fat versus a lb of muscle.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:16 AM

48,575 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
And then there is apparently 25% of the elderly who can not gain weight. I got down to within 9 lbs of underweight, was eating carbs like crazy. From the age of 12 when I hit puberty til about 2 years ago at age 67, I would have ballooned up to 300 in a heartbeat. But now, I couldn’t gain to save my neck. I’ve actually lost weight. My PCP ran every test he could think of, including X-rays, a CT scan with and without contrast, and an ultrasound. Nothing was discovered. I’m apparently in that 25%. I’m not complaining, cause I enjoy eating things that I really couldn’t enjoy for decades.

My Mom is the same way. She eats too, we see her eating all the time. They ran buckets of tests - nothing wrong. We had her adding the high calorie Ensure to her diet - nada.

The last thing they are trying is prescribing digestive enzymes, which in theory, should help.

I had to take weight gain when I was younger. I couldn't break a hundred pounds.

Our metabolisms can make a great deal of difference in whether we gain or lose, with the same amount of food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-03-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My Mom is the same way. She eats too, we see her eating all the time. They ran buckets of tests - nothing wrong. We had her adding the high calorie Ensure to her diet - nada.

The last thing they are trying is prescribing digestive enzymes, which in theory, should help.

I had to take weight gain when I was younger. I couldn't break a hundred pounds.

Our metabolisms can make a great deal of difference in whether we gain or lose, with the same amount of food.
I despise the taste of Ensure. Digestive enzymes are a possible solution but we are holding off for now. But to help prove I was eating, I had to track my food which is a trigger. I’d been on a diet most of my adult life and I hated logging my food. But I did it for a month to prove to my PCP that I was eating in spite of having my husband as a witness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss