Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 10:43 AM

280 posts, read 422,699 times

Advertisements

When I get to goal weight (I have 15 pounds to go) do I still have to stick with my daily calorie rule to maintain? That sounds really challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 11:48 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,642,039 times
you have to maintain your maintenance level of calories. If your in the process of losing weight then you are in a caloric deficit. So no, you don't have to stick with a deficit, you just move to your equilibrium, where you don't gain or lose fat.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:55 PM

280 posts, read 422,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
you have to maintain your maintenance level of calories. If your in the process of losing weight then you are in a caloric deficit. So no, you don't have to stick with a deficit, you just move to your equilibrium, where you don't gain or lose fat.
Ok, thanks.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,246,356 times
If you eat healthy you never have to count them

Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
^^ and exercise regularly (as in EVERYDAY)

but yes, in order to maintain your new weight, you're going to have to pay attention to what you're eating and how much exercise you're getting. The biggest mistake people make when they 'diet' is that when they've lost the weight, they go back to eating like they were before the 'diet'. It's not about diet..it's about a lifestyle of healthy eating/exercise

Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,070,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
^^ and exercise regularly (as in EVERYDAY)

but yes, in order to maintain your new weight, you're going to have to pay attention to what you're eating and how much exercise you're getting. The biggest mistake people make when they 'diet' is that when they've lost the weight, they go back to eating like they were before the 'diet'. It's not about diet, it's about a lifestyle of healthy eating/exercise
This is true.

I lost a lot of weight beginning about 2 years ago and I have maintained my weight loss without any regain. I did get to a point where I was losing too much weight - got down to 123 lbs. (5'9")....so I began eating two healthy snacks a day - kind of experimenting to see how many more calories to add to my diet in order to stop losing weight. My weight now fluctuates between 125 and 128 and I weigh myself once a week - if I have dropped a few lbs., I bump up the size or calorie density of my snacks (but I do not increase the portion size of my meals) If I have gained a couple of lbs., I just exercise a bit more or cut out a snack - by doing this I can easily maintain my weight. This plan works for me. By the way, I eat a 95% plant based diet with some low-fat dairy (no gluten, no sugar/honey, and I stay away from oils, margarine/butter, etc.).

I do not count calories but I am very aware of the calorie density of everything I eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss