Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:38 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times

Advertisements

All natural fruit herbal teas taste like pop without sugar.

Try Tazo passion tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,988 times
YES! I was on a diet after I had my baby. I drank a bunch of Diet Coke after a few nights of such little sleep and it made me gain a few pounds and did not come off for about 2 weeks. It was a major setback. I have been drinking only water (not even Crystal Light or anything) and I have managed to lose over 50 pounds. I've heard that Diet Colas make your kidneys swell or something like that - I don't know if that is true.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,669 times
Default Everything in Moderation`

Water is always the best, but everything in moderation is my motto. I read the University at Berkeley Wellness Letter and Nutrition Action Newsletter published by the Center for Science in the Public Interest. These and other sources say that excessive amounts (i.e. 50 cans a day) of saccharin was linked to cancer in rats, but typical amounts pose no measurable risks. The colas were linked to a higher risk of osteoporosis in several studies, but the latest report I read on the negated that finding.

Brewed iced tea is a good option. I watch my weight faithfully and use diet soda occasionally as a treat. Remember that it is very hard to absolutely determine the effects a food has because 1) study participants don't eat just that food and combinations of foods can change things, 2) study participants aren't very good at following the rules, and 3) they often don't keep good records. Keep things in balance and in perspective. Remember, even too many carrots will turn your skin orange!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:47 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Hmmmmm. Everyone keeps suggesting iced tea as an alternative, and I HATE HATE HATE tea of any kind - especially iced! Does anyone have another suggestion, particularly one with carbonation and (at least a little) caffeine? I don't like sparkling water, unless it has sweetener in it, which is probably no better than diet soda. I'd love to cut the soda altogether, since you all make valid points... but I need that caffeine boost in the morning, and only carbonated/cold drinks seem to quench my thirst. Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is relevant for the original poster too.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:25 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
What about sparkling water and juice mixed together? You could slowly change the ratio til you're drinking mostly sparkling water. I also like lemonade and limeade mixed with sparkling water til they're weak.

That doesn't help with the caffeine issue though. FWIW, I did manage to kick the coffee/caffeine habit several years ago by slowly cutting down to one cup and then giving it up. I felt sleepy for 2 weeks but never had a headache.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:50 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Yeah, I know the caffeine is a bad habit I need to kick (or at least cut back on)... they should have a caffeine-aholics anonymous, LOL. I do like sparkling lemonade and juices, so maybe I can find one that's not equally full of sweetener & stuff. I'm not the type to make my own drinks, so that probably wouldn't happen - gotta find something I can buy & stick in my purse on the way to work!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Hmmmmm. Everyone keeps suggesting iced tea as an alternative, and I HATE HATE HATE tea of any kind - especially iced! Does anyone have another suggestion, particularly one with carbonation and (at least a little) caffeine? I don't like sparkling water, unless it has sweetener in it, which is probably no better than diet soda. I'd love to cut the soda altogether, since you all make valid points... but I need that caffeine boost in the morning, and only carbonated/cold drinks seem to quench my thirst. Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is relevant for the original poster too.
apples...apples....apples....Did you know an apple can get you started in the morning better than 2 cups of coffe or any kind of soda?? This is true....Eat an apple or look for "no preservatives added, all natural apple juice".

Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Yep, try to drink water instead of diet sodas.

I read not only about the weight gain with diet sodas, but the pychological thought that since you've saved calories by drinking the diet soda, now you can splurge somewhere else..made sense to me...I think like that...and aspartame is causing a lot of health headaches for many...

Since water can be boring, you might want to try this. Squeeze 1/6 of a fresh lime wedge into the water...it makes for water with a bit of zip...but no calories...or precious few.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:46 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yep, try to drink water instead of diet sodas.

I read not only about the weight gain with diet sodas, but the pychological thought that since you've saved calories by drinking the diet soda, now you can splurge somewhere else..made sense to me...I think like that...and aspartame is causing a lot of health headaches for many...

Since water can be boring, you might want to try this. Squeeze 1/6 of a fresh lime wedge into the water...it makes for water with a bit of zip...but no calories...or precious few.
Good point about squeezing the lime. I actually buy lemon/lime juice at the store. It's easier than having to slice a lemon or lime and keeps longer.

One other point about diet soda....some theorize that the fake sugar in it actually makes people crave sugary foods, which leads to weight gain.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
I'm a diet soda junkie and I drink LOTS of Orange diet soda like Sunkist. Never gained weight or had bad ill effects from lots of it! If I can't treat myself to nice candies, cookies, or ice cream, then I treat myself to a cold glass of diet soda.

Diet soda is harmless to me. My brother and Dad dranks lots of regular soda and got kidney stones; not me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss