U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:27 AM

898 posts, read 2,592,221 times

Advertisements

I'm on a diet, and there is alot of diet soda in the house. is diet soda just as bad as regular soda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 09:43 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,440,558 times
I read something earlier this week about how bad the cola drinks are, diet and regular. It seems they cause kidney damage over time. The article said that the clear or fruit ones were OK, just not the dark cola ones.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 AM

4,589 posts, read 12,092,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
I'm on a diet, and there is alot of diet soda in the house. is diet soda just as bad as regular soda?
Yes yes yes........if you possibly can that would be your best bet. Yes, diet soda is just as bad if not worse for you than regular soda as it contains Aspertame, a non caloric sweetener, which reportedly has a direct link between epilepsy, brain tumors and effects on the nervous system.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:27 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,530,135 times
Yes....gradually start replacing sodas with water.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:29 AM

10,632 posts, read 16,884,073 times
Yes.

Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:18 PM

29,035 posts, read 45,801,083 times
I don't know if I buy all of that... I've been drinking Diet Pepsi religiously since childhood, and still managed to lose 55 lbs. without much trouble - and without cutting out the soda. I won't say it's GOOD for you, and of course water is much better, but I'm calling BS on the weight gain thing.

That being said, I do need to start replacing at least 1-2 of my daily Diet Pepsis with water... another one of my goals for the year.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't know if I buy all of that... I've been drinking Diet Pepsi religiously since childhood, and still managed to lose 55 lbs. without much trouble - and without cutting out the soda. I won't say it's GOOD for you, and of course water is much better, but I'm calling BS on the weight gain thing.

That being said, I do need to start replacing at least 1-2 of my daily Diet Pepsis with water... another one of my goals for the year.
good for you that's awesome you set that goal for yourself. I don't think that soda by itself would cause a tremendous amount of weight gain but in combination with lack of excersize and poor diet.....that would just be the frosting on the cake. Even if you find you are able to drink soda without gaining weight that doesn't mean it's safe to drink and you may be causing un-noticable harm to your body.....my father in law loved his diet soda and had been drinking it for years upon years...all was fine until shortly after his 43rd birthday when the kidney stones started.....he's now 50 and seriously struggling daily with the pain of kidney stones, having to have them blasted every month or so.......Doctors and nutritionists had him cut out the soda but it may be too late.......just be careful

Old 08-14-2008, 09:45 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,203,252 times
Yes, I'd cut out diet soft drinks. The research being done on artificial sweeteners is kind of scary. If you can switch over to water, you'd be a lot better off in the long run. Plus you can switch up water by squeezing lemon, lime, or other things in it.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:28 PM

898 posts, read 2,592,221 times
what an eye opener. I'm cutting out diet sodas then. one more question, whats up with those drinks that come in powder form and you mix with water, Like Crystal Light? just as bad as sodas?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
what an eye opener. I'm cutting out diet sodas then. one more question, whats up with those drinks that come in powder form and you mix with water, Like Crystal Light? just as bad as sodas?
They don't have to be......I know that crystal light used to use Aspertame...but now they have switched to Splenda which is a better alternative. I really like the "lipton to go" in the diet green tea flavor.....antioxidants and they use splenda in that too........either of those choices would be a huge improvment for you and they can taste just as good......you could even add some natural honey to it to make it sweeter if you'd like (honey is a natural sweetener so your always safe with that, in moderation of course ) Just be sure to look at the ingredients and do not use anything containing aspertame or a high amount of calories (over 60 i'd say)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss