Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times

Advertisements

Okay I recently noticed many soups and other prepared foods have (besides canola) cottonseed /palm oil and other unhealthy polyunsaturated fats and trans fats; does anyone have the full scoop on how bad all these additives are, and why they are still used? i believe (like margarine) many any precursors to artery disease; does anyone know how we can avoid all this junk

I am at the point I will buy no more pre-made foods, and just shop at the health food store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 07:31 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,033 times
yes...very scary and yucky!! Cottonseed oil actually contains toxins and was only passed by the FDA because of an unfortunate loop hole! It contains a very high level of omega 6 fatty acids.....not good for ya' at all.

I look for comparable foods that contain either soybean, canola or sunflower oils......much healthier and no toxins!!!

IMO - The FDA needs to looking out for consumers and put harsher regulations in place....just my opinion.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
yes...very scary and yucky!! Cottonseed oil actually contains toxins and was only passed by the FDA because of an unfortunate loop hole! It contains a very high level of omega 6 fatty acids.....not good for ya' at all.

I look for comparable foods that contain either soybean, canola or sunflower oils......much healthier and no toxins!!!

IMO - The FDA needs to looking out for consumers and put harsher regulations in place....just my opinion.
Not IMO ... the consumer needs to become less dependent upon "The FDA" (government agency) to protect them with broad overreaching regulations and take these important aspects of life into their own hands.

Each and every consumer has the power to NOT BUY the products that are potentially harmfull to them, and the manufacturer's will respond to that marketplace. That's why we're seeing the growth of stores such as Whole Foods ....

For example, I don't buy any product with excesssive sodium, MSG, soy or corn oils/high fructose syrup, or aspartame. The only reason foods are made with these items is for the convenience and/or marketing of the manufacturer.
I don't buy "prepared" or convenience foods, nothing that just goes from the grocer's freezer case to a microwave oven ... I don't even own a microwave.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Not IMO ... the consumer needs to become less dependent upon "The FDA" (government agency) to protect them with broad overreaching regulations and take these important aspects of life into their own hands.

Each and every consumer has the power to NOT BUY the products that are potentially harmfull to them, and the manufacturer's will respond to that marketplace. That's why we're seeing the growth of stores such as Whole Foods ....

For example, I don't buy any product with excesssive sodium, MSG, soy or corn oils/high fructose syrup, or aspartame. The only reason foods are made with these items is for the convenience and/or marketing of the manufacturer.
I don't buy "prepared" or convenience foods, nothing that just goes from the grocer's freezer case to a microwave oven ... I don't even own a microwave.
I agree, Idealistically speaking....if everyone could and did do this that would, of course, be utopian however, in reality, some will not look at the ingredient label or even know what they are to look for and they will feed thier kids these foods. I think that if the FDA can better regulate what is allowed to be sold and purchased this will help protect, if nothing else, america's youth from overly processed and harmful foods.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:06 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Okay I recently noticed many soups and other prepared foods have (besides canola) cottonseed /palm oil and other unhealthy polyunsaturated fats and trans fats; does anyone have the full scoop on how bad all these additives are, and why they are still used? i believe (like margarine) many any precursors to artery disease; does anyone know how we can avoid all this junk

I am at the point I will buy no more pre-made foods, and just shop at the health food store.
Look for Partially Hydrogenated oil on the label. Also Fat Free advertising like like '' Fat Free Cool Whip'' is misleading as it states 0 grams of fat but the label says Partially Hydrogenated oil or Trans Fat...

Old 08-19-2008, 01:34 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,550 times
Quote:
Check out this website:

Grocery Guide to Healthy Food Brands - Food Labels and Ingredients - Interpreting Food Labels by BrandAid

It has excellent information about how to make healthy choices.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post

I agree. Many MANY foods have all these disgusting additives- palm oil(ever look at the contents of an Entenmanns cake) they put the same garbage in prepared soups, bread, etc....besides high fructose corn syrup

The FDA refuses to protect us from Salmonella, so I would never expect them to ever do their jobs at this point. So you are saying soy is okay?

The public must be getting more informed, at Kroger yesterday margarine was on sale for 1.00-lol-no one buying it. I dont feel like dying from atherosclerosis either.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 08-19-2008 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-21-2008, 01:23 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times
Quote:

It's amazing how much garbage is in our food supply. Part of the fault lies with our own government. They give huge subsidies to farmers who grow corn and soy. Because of that, we have too much of both and food manufacturers have to find ways to use that excess supply. So they came up with high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated soybean oil. And the government won't warn you about these things since they get tons and tons of money from those industries. The only oil I eat now is olive oil. A good rule to follow, though it's not always easy, is to avoid the aisles and stick to the outer edges of your supermarket. Fruits, veggies, chicken, fish, etc. These are the foods you should be eating and oddly enough, none come in a box or sit on a shelf.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Default well said-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It's amazing how much garbage is in our food supply. Part of the fault lies with our own government. They give huge subsidies to farmers who grow corn and soy. Because of that, we have too much of both and food manufacturers have to find ways to use that excess supply. So they came up with high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated soybean oil. And the government won't warn you about these things since they get tons and tons of money from those industries. The only oil I eat now is olive oil. A good rule to follow, though it's not always easy, is to avoid the aisles and stick to the outer edges of your supermarket. Fruits, veggies, chicken, fish, etc. These are the foods you should be eating and oddly enough, none come in a box or sit on a shelf.
Yes, that is good to know. Fruit and fresh vegetables only. I am still amazed (even health food like Boca Burger, for example) has a plethora of oils in it- you really have to read all the ingredients now.

And you are 100% correct about high fructose, no wonder there are so many diabetics in the U.S.- My ex brother in law eats fast food is obese and still eats at McDonalds. So bad.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:32 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,599 times
Quote:
And you are 100% correct about high fructose, no wonder there are so many diabetics in the U.S.- My ex brother in law eats fast food is obese and still eats at McDonalds. So bad.
Sorry, but diabetes is not caused by excess sugar but rather by pancreatic failure or an insufficiency of insulin. Not always, but as a rule diabetes (type 2) is a result of obesity; type 1 is total pancreatic failure and usually has a viral trigger in childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss