Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:23 PM

54 posts, read 49,842 times

Advertisements

I am at my wits end. My bf is 5'11 and weighs around 175. He enjoys eating any junk food/ fried food that you can imagine. The healthiest that he gets is eating meat and potatoes/rice. He refuses to touch veggies or fruits. FLAT OUT. While I have gotten him off the soda habit, it hasn't been easy. I don't particularly want to change him..I want to change myself! But I am finding it excruiciatingly difficult to get back to my normal size with him around. We have gotten into arguments constantly. Before I dated him I was 30 pounds less. I gained back all of those 30 pounds after being with him for only 4 months!!! Obviously food is my weakness and as if it's not hard enough to diet already..it makes it even more painful to get back on track with dieting when you have a boyfriend that eats terribly and who's definition of working out is working out his thumbs on his video game controller. My neighborhood is full of perverted dudes, so I don't want to start jogging by myself..yet I can't drag him out to do it with me. We are budgeting so the gym isn't an option. It's just becoming increasingly depressing. When we weren't living together it was easy for me not to tempt myself..I simply kept my place stocked with produce, soymilk, and diet everything. I felt better..was more energetic..and had the will to work out..or even walk a lot. UGH SOMEONE HELP! I know I can't be the only person in this position. Does anyone else have a partner that makes it even harder on you? Please don't tell me to have willpower when it comes to eating...if I had that I wouldn't need to diet to begin with! Plus, it's kind of hard to stay on track when you're munching on carrots (which you might think are delicious btw) but your partner is chugging down a chocolate milkshake and swallowing a double bacon cheeseburger. It's like putting a naked woman in front of a man and telling him not to get aroused! It's pretty hard!!! (no pun intended )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:52 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Mine is the same way. I just make a healthier version of whatever they like.

Like the burger - make it with turkey and beef, use turkey bacon on yours on a whole wheat bun.

If you need to lose weight all you need is a bit of cardio. I got a bike from walmart for 100 bucks (stationary) Its good enough to get me moving.

What about that Wii thing? Maybe you two could play that together sometimes or go out to do stuff like bowling, skating, walk in the park, or just walking around the mall yourself window shopping.

Weightloss doesnt have to be torture and trials. Its just improving a bit on the foods you like + a little more veggies/fruit + little more movement.

I suggested to another veggie hater in a thread to try smoothies.

When my so is really bringing in the junk I just budget it in if I really want it by counting calories. I dont deprive myself.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM

That's the problem. He will NOT go biking..rollerblading..anything. Plus I live in a big urban city and there is literally no nature around. I can make do with the park though. However my bf thinks that these activities are not very "manly". I know..it's endless.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:59 PM

LOL...

Sounds like the mall option would be good. Make your exercise your "me" meditation time.
Dont you have any friends that would go bowling with you?
Girls night out or whatever...

Old 09-03-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
LOL...

Sounds like the mall option would be good. Make your exercise your "me" meditation time.
Dont you have any friends that would go bowling with you?
Girls night out or whatever...

New here =( And most of the girls want to go out drinking..not working out. Blah

Old 09-03-2008, 03:02 PM

I live in NYC. Crowds are a problem. You can never find a lonesome park or anything..but there is a park I know of that doesn't have as many people..it's just that the dudes there are pervs. I wishmy man was more supportive

Old 09-03-2008, 03:03 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,024,311 times
Bombay, i dont mean to be rude or insensitive. but i once dated a guy like that. it wasnt until he dumped me that i realized we had 2 different lifestyles, mine- health oriented, his- lazy pig. we really didnt have much in common. if we had stayed together, well, i couldnt imagine how unhealthy i'd be. im very grateful the relationship ended.
i don't mean to imply dumping the guy, though. what about your friends?? or finding something you can budget in? some class, gym, etc. im looking into joining a climbing gym, much cheaper than a regular gym. keep in mind, the $$ you spend now on your health is much better spent than on medications and Dr. appts in the future. good luck

and hey, girls night out could involve a lot of dancing!!

Old 09-03-2008, 03:09 PM

You know you could always look for something to try free for a month. Health clubs are always offering that kinda thng. There you could make friends that are more interested in healthy living. I kinda said bye bye to the overly drinking crowd...and fatness aside...
Oh man how they have AGED!

You are in NYC! Walk and window shop your little butt off!
You should invite a friend for lunch at a juice bar. Maybe the both of you will get hooked on being healthy.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
Bombay, i dont mean to be rude or insensitive. but i once dated a guy like that. it wasnt until he dumped me that i realized we had 2 different lifestyles, mine- health oriented, his- lazy pig. we really didnt have much in common. if we had stayed together, well, i couldnt imagine how unhealthy i'd be. im very grateful the relationship ended.
i don't mean to imply dumping the guy, though. what about your friends?? or finding something you can budget in? some class, gym, etc. im looking into joining a climbing gym, much cheaper than a regular gym. keep in mind, the $$ you spend now on your health is much better spent than on medications and Dr. appts in the future. good luck

Oh yeh...Clubbing!
And now that there is no smoking its not too bad. And you will def burn off a cosmo wiggling around like a nut on the floor.

You could even have some realy fun with it and think about "club kid wear" etc.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
the $$ you spend now on your health is much better spent than on medications and Dr. appts in the future. good luck

I think I need to keep this in mind. However I really don't make enough to splurge.I have enough for rent and college books. But this is true.
AS far as ladies night out. I'm new here and good friends have been next to none. I always get the ones with babydaddy drama or drug/drinking problems. And these are coming from an office environment in manhattan..thought it was supposed to be a better class of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss