Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 03:50 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,488,851 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a gym membership today and want to start lifting weights. I'm not fat, but I could use some definition without getting big. Does anyone have experience about using free weights vs weight machines? What is the difference in terms of results? Does one make you bulkier than the other? Like I said, I don't want bulk, just want some good muscle definition.

Thanks!

Mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 04:44 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,742,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I'm getting a gym membership today and want to start lifting weights. I'm not fat, but I could use some definition without getting big. Does anyone have experience about using free weights vs weight machines? What is the difference in terms of results? Does one make you bulkier than the other? Like I said, I don't want bulk, just want some good muscle definition.

Thanks!

Mackinac
Definition is defined by body fat percentage. If you are a woman, you will start to see definition by about 14-16%. If you are a man, you start to see definition by 12 - 15%. Ripped abs are not seen until about 10% body fat. This is achieved through strict diet, in addition to cardio and resistance training.

You need to expend 3500 calories to burn 1 lb fat.

Machines are good for beginners since the mechanics of the motion are less likely to cause injury. However, accessory muscles that aid in lifting the weight are not utilized (not as good for body building). However, it is adequate for general fitness.

Free weights are ideal for body builders secondary to multiple angles and accessory muscles utilized. However, it requires strict form, and injury may result in a beginner or even intermediate bodybuilder.

There are hybrids of machines such as the cable machine, Bowflex and Total Gym that have some degree of range of motion without as much of a risk of injury.

To 'bulk up' requires high resistance with low repetitions (i.e. 85% of 1 rep max, for example for a chest press 100 lbs for 5-8 reps). To 'tone' requires low resistance with high repetitions (ie 50% of 1 rep max, biceps curls with 8 lb dumbell for 12-15 repetitions).

Get a trainer so you have a body composition analysis and a workout plan. Get a physical to make sure you have no underlying medical problems.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:13 PM

717 posts, read 1,956,055 times
There is essentially no difference in effectiveness using machines vs. free weights. Resistance is the key and the rate at which you train. Caloric comsumption determines "cuts" or definition. A trainer will show you how to calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate and then you can subtract calories steadily to lose fat. I've been a bodybuilder/powerlifter/armwrestler/trainer for over thirty years and have found both machines and free weights certainly have their place in my regimens. Any resistance training using any apparatus (even improvised...a broom for instance) can be used to great effect. Consistency is the key and a balanced diet will insure success.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:55 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,742,814 times
I also wanted to add that your body responds to new stimuli, it hypertrophies. However, after 4-6 weeks, you reach a plateau. At that point, you add resistance or change your routine. When you have reached the level of 'no gains' then look into periodization.

A faster way to lose fat is High Intensity Interval Training. However, many people coming from a sedentary lifestyle, fair better with low and slow (i.e. slower paced jogging or fast walking).

I like dracul have been a bodybuilder (but only for about 13 years). I have experimented with various supplements and 'ergogenics' but I have since quit all of those types of high priced items.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:39 AM

717 posts, read 1,956,055 times
LIKEWISE, titaniummd, I currently use very few supplaments as most promise far more than they deliver. Good luck on your efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss