Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 01:50 PM

51 posts, read 304,543 times

Advertisements

I am one of many that through poor diet have become addicted to sugar. Cookies and Snack Cakes are my drug of choice. My question is how do I kick this habit? Its killing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
I thought it was easier to cut back slowly than go cold turkey. Caffine and sugar felt worse to quit than smoking to me. At least with smoking you feel better right away. The previous two...ugh...
Cut it by half until you are comfortable to cut some more out again.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:58 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeibe View Post
I am one of many that through poor diet have become addicted to sugar. Cookies and Snack Cakes are my drug of choice. My question is how do I kick this habit? Its killing me.
I kicked my sugar addiction by increasing foods that are both high protein AND high carb like black beans, chicken chili, etc. Also increasing the amount of fiber in my diet really helped.

I would also recommend going cold turkey on the processed sugary snack products. Sugar is like rust in our internal organs. Also stay away from sugar substitutes because they will actually INCREASE your cravings for sugar. Sugar substitutes also make you fatter because your body is not getting the caloric intake that it thinks it is getting and you eat more.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
Things I never thought I would say:

I cant stand the taste of snack cakes much anymore. I can only eat half and its just ...gaggingly sweet.

(coming from a 3pk snacker myself)

I never thought I would dislike that stuff.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Things I never thought I would say:

I cant stand the taste of snack cakes much anymore. I can only eat half and its just ...gaggingly sweet.

(coming from a 3pk snacker myself)

I never thought I would dislike that stuff.

Good for you. I can't wait until the day I feel the same.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeibe View Post
You start making healthier choices and stop putting sugar in everything. For example, I start my diet by drinking black coffee -- no honey or cream. And then I cut out things like ice-cream and white bread and rice, and start eating more vegetables and lean meats.

It is difficult at first, but then you realize, "this is not so bad." Tonight I had squash that I cooked in the microwave, and I wasn't even tempted to put butter and brown sugar on it. I just added a little salt, that's it.

And those little things gradually add up and you gradually start to feel a little trimmer. Try it and see!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:19 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,689 times
I try to eat healthy but do go off. My wife is a sugar junky. I concentrate on the main meal and she thinks about dessert. We are both over 60 and not over weight for our age. I try to walk also.

I started another thread about favorite diet foods, but I should have called it favorite healthy foods.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 AM

656 posts, read 1,992,123 times
I recently began the South Beach Diet and it is a great way to rid your body of the addiction to sugar and all the high sugared processed food. The cravings were not really that bad and since the first 2 weeks are very strick you get over those cravings fast. This is a perfect time to kick those cravings before the holidays since in the past they made my cravings much worse for me with all the extra treats around!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss