Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 AM

119 posts, read 451,994 times

Advertisements

Congrads on the change in foods. Keep us posted every so often on how much you lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:15 PM

117 posts, read 334,608 times
Yeah; I love that show, "The Biggest Loser." Sometimes I just sit there and cry. It's very, very hard to lose weight especially if you don't drive, you don't have much money, you're under constant stress, you have recent death of family members, you feel alone, etc., etc.

Ever "people watch" and notice how many people are overweight, often VERY overweight? And usually for different reasons, physiologically. In my case, I was premature and I nearly died when I was one. My mother said that my dad just force fed me; I only feel good when my stomach's overfull. It's an excuse, I know, but also a reason.

I'm hoping to get inspiration from this forum, which I just found. Weight really ruins your life; it prevents you from doing so many things.

Oprah's STILL struggling with it, apparently; she's recently admitted this and is starting over. Sheesh, with all her success and resources, she STILL has this problem!

Congrats to the OP: I think you're going to make it!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
Thanks to all of you. You're giving me a big head with all the congrats.......I've only lost 11 lbs. so far, remember! I sincerely appreciate all the support, though.

I had a pretty rough day today, although I didn't cheat on the diet, nor was I tempted to. I work 12 hour shifts, and we occasionally get busy enough that meal times get skipped or put off, and that was the case today. I had a pounding headache much of the day, which often happens when I stop drinking coffee (another vice), and start a diet. I just finished a salad for dinner at 8 p.m., which is an hour past my cutoff time for eating at night. It was either that, or go to bed with the headache and not get a wink of sleep overnight.

Still, days like this one have derailed me in the past, and with each day conquered my confidence grows. It's just like the sports cliche.......ya take it one day at a time.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LjStC View Post
Congrads on the change in foods. Keep us posted every so often on how much you lost
Down to 221.5 as of this morning. I know it seems ridiculous, but I've lost 15 lbs. in 2 weeks just by eating a controlled, mostly vegetarian, high fiber diet (no red meat), and drinking 3 litres of water a day. My body was obviously more than ready to get rid of all the junk in my system, because it's responding like gangbusters to the change. I still haven't started my exercise, either..........will do so this weekend, as I am feeling GREAT and am ready to go.

I'd say it's been worth it so far!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
just stoped by this forum and OMG......some of the stuff in here is scary! Talking about useless Diets and fads and hearing people make excuses and give reasons for why they are not healthy and/or happy.......it was good to read your post though....good for you! Keep it up and never allow yourself to become discouraged.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:05 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Down to 221.5 as of this morning. I know it seems ridiculous, but I've lost 15 lbs. in 2 weeks just by eating a controlled, mostly vegetarian, high fiber diet (no red meat), and drinking 3 litres of water a day. My body was obviously more than ready to get rid of all the junk in my system, because it's responding like gangbusters to the change. I still haven't started my exercise, either..........will do so this weekend, as I am feeling GREAT and am ready to go.

I'd say it's been worth it so far!
You are inspiring me! I began my new life of healthy eating on Monday and reading your posts is really encouraging. Keep up the good work!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:35 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
Northman, you really ARE doing this the right way. Think of it as a marathon, not a sprint. There will be times ahead when you're doing everything right, but the scale won't budge. Don't get discouraged and keep your eye on the prize. No matter what, you'll be happier and healthier!

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 AM

I weighed 217.5 this morning. That's 19 lbs. off since Dec. 26th. My body has never responded to a weight loss effort like this. I'm almost beginning to worry that I'm losing too quickly, but the thing is, I'm NOT starving myself, not taking any drugs to help me out, not over-exercising......nothing that could be deemed unhealthy or dangerous. I swear to heaven above that all I've done is change my diet from complete junk to mostly vegetarian with no red meat and 3 litres of water a day. I eat 3 meals a day seperated by at least 4 hours, and do not eat after 7 p.m. I occasionally have an apple or a banana for a snack. That's it.

Actually, I haven't even started to exercise yet. It's very obvious that I'm burning more calories than I'm taking in just by going about my daily activities, which include being on my feet and running around during my 12 hour shifts at work (I'm an x-ray tech). To be honest, I don't want to screw with the success I'm having right now, and I'm worried that exercising while I'm still this heavy will start turning the fat into muscle, thus slowing my weight loss progress. I don't just want to lose weight, I want to lose SIZE as well.........I don't want to bulk up one iota. I've been a fat person for the past 5 years, and I am sick of it. I'll start exercising when I think the time is right.

I know a lot of people might be reading this and saying "No way could I give up all of the foods I like and eat the way this guy is". My response to that is that I can't put myself in anyone else's shoes, and that I'm just doing what seems right for me at this point in my life. I certainly didn't see myself eating the things I am now last year when I was cramming whole extra large pizzas or multiple bags of cheeseburgers & fries into my face in one sitting. Also, I keep in mind that this is a rocky road that I've just started down. I think it's so important that we don't constantly look ahead and wish we were at our goal weight NOW, rather than being able to enjoy the progress that we're currently making. Today I'm 19 lbs. lighter than I was on Christmas Day. My clothes are looser, and that's progress. I'm sweating less, and that's progress. I'm saving money on food by only eating simple meals 3 times a day, and that's progress. I don't feel like I need a 4 hour nap after eating, and that's progress. I have newfound energy that makes me want to do things OTHER than sit on the couch eating and watching TV for 15 hours a day, and that's progress. I'm looking in the mirror and seeing a smaller gut hanging over my belt than I did 3 weeks ago, and that's progress.

And so, I carry on..........Hope everyone's having a great day!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
Rock on, Northman!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:26 PM

68 posts, read 255,203 times
In the year 2000 I lost 40 lbs in 5 months, it was exactly 8 lbs a month. I ate very similar to what you are doing. My total calories were 1400 a day. I started what I thought a walking program was going to be and it turned into a jogging program and at the end of 3 months I could jog 6-12 a day and I ran the La Jolla Half-Marathon and came in the middle. I didn't drink coffee and never ate junk food. You are right about that. I've been reading about blood sugar levels and cravings and they go hand and hand. I've been very fit until I moved to Vegas 3 years ago. I've gained 15 lbs. and I don't feel so energetic anymore. I just don't go outside that much because it is a little scary. Your story is inspiring me to get back to where I was. You may be getting plenty of exercise because of your work. You will actually burn more fat if you have more muscle. I didn't bulk up at all. My legs got down to 19 thighs and firm. From 26 inch thighs. I weighed 125 lbs. I had a baby and didn't run after he was born got back down to 122 and my thighs were 22 inches so exercise does something different. Muscle take less space even if you weigh more. Anyway, I too am very proud of you. I will quit drinking coffee today and try to be more diligent at getting rid of my extra weight. I would like to have that energy back again.Keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss