Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:50 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,649,333 times

Advertisements

Just had to say way to go Northman !!!

Question about all the water you consume daily (3 liters) as do you still feel this really helps in your weight loss and/or energy levels.

Anyway keep at it man as i may print this entire thread out and show it to those at where i work who say they don't have the willpower to lose weight (alot of them) as you did yourself .

6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM

523 posts, read 2,907,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Sorry I haven't been checking in. I have now lost 50 lbs. on the nose since last Dec. 26th. My current weight is 186.5, down from 236.5 when I started.

When I went to visit my family for x-mas I was wearing size 48 jeans. Today I'm wearing size 36's comfortably.
That's very impressive! Would you mind posting "before" and "after" photos? I'm sure that would help motivate a lot of people on this forum...

Old 03-23-2009, 06:06 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,460,081 times
Thanks, you guys.

I'll think about posting before and after photos once I get closer to my goal weight (20 to 30 more lbs. away). I don't want to put the cart ahead of the horse before I finish the job. Thing is, my face is the one area that really shows the progress with my weight loss, but for obvious confidentiality reasons I am hesitant to post a pic of my face on this site. I may reconsider eventually, or I may just post some pics with my head cut off (that doesn't sound like I want it to!).

Anyway, thanks again for the responses. Wish me luck in a few days....I'm taking a long weekend to Tennessee and Georgia and plan to treat myself a bit for the first time since I started this. I think at this point I've more than earned it. See ya!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,954,873 times
Northman...Very impressive progress I hope you are able to hit your target and maintain. I'm in a similar age/wt range as to your start point and have minimized the 'white' carbs, and have dropped 12 lbs in 2 months. Have tried dropping the meat (i avoid fried food, unless thats the only option), but find I get shaky w/o proteins. Did this happen to you, and what did you do to keep energy up?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:49 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,755,213 times
I have to break it to ya that that weight loss probably won't last forever! FAT people have a higher metabolic rate that compensates for their overeating just to try to prevent weight gain. When you eat less / diet this high metabolic rate will help you lose weight! That's what happened to me! I changed my diet from pigging out on donuts & candy and my weight melted from 205 lbs to 193 lbs without much exercising! Then I exercised LOTS to go from 193 lbs to 139 lbs in 2 years / 5030 miles of road biking. All the while I still eat McDonald's, candy, a slice of high calorie pecan pie, etc.... I couldn't make extreme sacrifices on food just to be a veggie / expensive health food junkie...

And when you break down from a strict veggie diet to just regular eating with some candies or donuts maybe the pounds might go back on if your metabolism adjusts to a lower rate. Just enjoy some regular eating and no overating and excercise more.

I mostly burned off most my fat by exercising. And I have kept my weight between 140 to 152 lbs for 5 years after my weight loss!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:33 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,560,755 times
Wow! I just saw this thread and wow! Congratulations on a job well done so far. I'm rooting for ya!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:54 AM

1,936 posts, read 1,827,976 times
Northman thank you so much for this thread. I love reading about your success. The main idea in your post that struck home was a lifestyle change. You are an inspiration.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I have to break it to ya that that weight loss probably won't last forever! FAT people have a higher metabolic rate that compensates for their overeating just to try to prevent weight gain. When you eat less / diet this high metabolic rate will help you lose weight! That's what happened to me! I changed my diet from pigging out on donuts & candy and my weight melted from 205 lbs to 193 lbs without much exercising! Then I exercised LOTS to go from 193 lbs to 139 lbs in 2 years / 5030 miles of road biking. All the while I still eat McDonald's, candy, a slice of high calorie pecan pie, etc.... I couldn't make extreme sacrifices on food just to be a veggie / expensive health food junkie...

And when you break down from a strict veggie diet to just regular eating with some candies or donuts maybe the pounds might go back on if your metabolism adjusts to a lower rate. Just enjoy some regular eating and no overating and excercise more.

I mostly burned off most my fat by exercising. And I have kept my weight between 140 to 152 lbs for 5 years after my weight loss!
You have to break what to me? Who the hell are you?

First of all, I am not a FAT (noticed you capitalized that word, not sure why) person.........I made myself fat through laziness and gluttony. Sorry if YOU happen to be a quote FAT person, Jesse, but that's not the case with me. Thanks for the ignorant generalization anyway!

Second, who are you to come in here and say " It's not gonna last"??? Do you know me? Have you been in my house every day since last Christmas to see the changes I've made in my life? Are you trying to tell me that no one that's ever lost a large amount of weight has been able to keep it off?

Do me a favor and never post on this thread again. Your rank assumptions of my endeavour are nothing short of laughable, especially seeing how you tied them to your own personal experiences, whatever those may be. I set out to change my life, and I have.

What, are you trying to wish failure on me so you can feel better about your own shortcomings? What's this about higher metabolism rates and all that jargin? Your post reads like Chinese........you are no expert, even though you pretend to be.

BYE NOW!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Just had to say way to go Northman !!!

Question about all the water you consume daily (3 liters) as do you still feel this really helps in your weight loss and/or energy levels.

Anyway keep at it man as i may print this entire thread out and show it to those at where i work who say they don't have the willpower to lose weight (alot of them) as you did yourself .

6/3
6/3, sorry that I missed your question about the water earlier.....

Yes, it is a major factor in my weight loss and energy levels. Hydration has been a critical element in every weight loss venture I've undertaken.

If I'm not getting a good bit of water into my system I just don't feel the same. It flushes out my system and my energy levels go way up. It's definitely worth having to pee 30 times a day, trust me. Without it, I feel sluggish and I get overheated easily. Kind of like a car without oil.

Others may dispute the effects of water to a diet, but for me it is crucial.........absolutely.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:04 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,755,213 times
OK diet freak - you are on some WUS - UPPED diet! This is according to YOUR OP -

This is what I'm eating now:

Breakfast: Small bowl of Bran Cereal with skim milk (Kelloggs All Bran is my favorite).

Lunch: Either salad with fat free dressing, soup, plain tuna, vegetables, or fat free Bush's baked beans. I combine these in pairs of 2 sometimes with smaller portions.

Dinner: Usually same as lunch. If I'm out somewhere I almost always get a salad, sometimes with grilled chicken.

Snacks: bananas or apples, and only one a day

Water: 3 litres a day

You know what? You seem to be lacking protein in this diet! And I don't think people can last and stay slim forever on some major WUSSED UP salad / health food diet forever! YOUR MUSCLES ARE WASTING AWAY AS WELL AS SOME OF YOUR BODY ORGANS AS THEY ARE BEING BROKEN DOWN FOR PROTEIN, - THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU EAT A PROTEIN LESS DIET! As yopu waste away your muscles and organs your metabolism will start to slow down and you'll start losing less weight, maybe until you reach a weight plateau...

Just Look at Kirstie Allie now - some major endorser of the Jenny Craig diet! Now she's back to being FAT because she broke down and wanted to just eat regular food like pizza, McDonalds, or whatever ... not some "WUS your life forever on a Jenny Craig food diet plan!" Like how can you not resist a nice cookie or cake for breakfast? Or a coffee and cookie snack or candy snack! - That's what I do! I enjoy cookies and cakes for breakfast, I eat McDonald's, I'll snack on some candy or a coffee and cookie snack, BECAUSE I GOTTA ENJOY LIFE AND FOOD! But I snack and eat in moderation. And you know what? I lost my 193 lbs to 139 lbs weight from 2003 to 2004 biking 5030 miles and eating moderately, while sometimes enjoying a high calorie pecan pie. AND EVER SINCE THEN MY WEIGHT HAS FLUCTUATED BETWEEN 142 lbs [a weight plateau] to 152 lbs [ Winter Weight] SINCE 2005 - 4 YEARS OF SUCCESSFUL WEIGHT MAINTENANCE! And I do enjoy eating ANYTHING I WANT! You name it! - Ben & Jerry's, high calorie pecan pie, FAST FOOD, cheesecake, etc. I AIN'T ON SOME MAJOR WUSS DIET PLAN FOREVER ON A SMALL BOWL OF BRAN CEREAL AND SALAD!

Moderator cut: There is no need to be so unkind. It is totally uncalled for in this forum .

I think I just wasted time on a long reply too....

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-13-2009 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss