Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:50 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,452,261 times

Advertisements

I meant cardio, not cadio in the thread title.......

I'm a 5'3, 39 year old guy that has been a slave to compulsive overeating for years. I didn't just overeat, I overate with the worst foods available. I am fat by my own doing.....none of this "thyroid" or "big boned" stuff, which I understand is a real issue for many people, but not me. I have a very athletic background, and when I am in shape I'm a stud - don't mind saying so. I'm just a lazy, gluttonous pig, and I know it - no excuses. Anyway, I finally got tired of it and wanted to share the changes I'm making. I started Christmas Day. I was 236.5 then, and now I'm 225 after less than 2 weeks. I haven't even started exercising yet. I wanted to have 2 solid weeks of healthy foods and plenty of water in my body first. That alone has pushed 11 lbs. of pure JUNK out of me.

I'm not talking about a diet. I'm talking about changing the way I eat permanently. A complete about face.

This is what I'm eating now:

Breakfast: Small bowl of Bran Cereal with skim milk (Kelloggs All Bran is my favorite).

Lunch: Either salad with fat free dressing, soup, plain tuna, vegetables, or fat free Bush's baked beans. I combine these in pairs of 2 sometimes with smaller portions.

Dinner: Usually same as lunch. If I'm out somewhere I almost always get a salad, sometimes with grilled chicken.

Snacks: bananas or apples, and only one a day

Water: 3 litres a day

Now that I'm in the right frame of mind, I'm actually beginning to enjoy these foods, but ya know what........it's not just about that. It's about not making food the centerpiece of your life to begin with. That's always been my problem.

I also can't emphasize portion control enough. When I started, I would keep eating after I was full, and I was like "Why am I feeling bloated after eating salad & baked beans"? Because you're eating TOO MUCH of it, dummy! Here's an idea - when you get to the point of starting to feel full - STOP EATING!

Also, a lot of people say it's ok to treat yourself every so often to the crap foods you're trying to leave behind when you first start out. This doesn't work for me. It may be a farce, but I honestly believe there are chemicals in that food which send a message to my brain that makes it want to start indulging in garbage & gluttony again. I'm serious!! I can't tell you how many times I've been through it! This time I'm sticking to what I'm doing now until I get to the point where drastic change has occured and I am able to burn any junk calories off with strong exercise and increased metabolism. That's going to be a ways down the road. Believe me, I've had enough pizza and cheeseburgers in the past year to last me the next one anyway.

It's all about what you want. If you want change, you'll make change. Took me a while, but I finally got tired of the sweating, the XXL clothes, the gut hanging down, the fat guy jokes, and all the rest. I'm ready for change, and I'm making a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Well you are not crazy. Those foods are set up to make you feel exactly what you do. Refined flour, sugars, and table salt all create a false feeling of hunger. Not to mention those preservatives...we can only guess on some of those...lol

A tip of the hat to you dude!
Keep on losing!

BTW - biggest loser is on tonight. If you ever watch it they have good cooking and food tips.
Plus the people are inspirational as all h-e- double hockey sticks.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
BTW - biggest loser is on tonight. If you ever watch it they have good cooking and food tips.
Plus the people are inspirational as all h-e- double hockey sticks.
You know, I hate reality TV, but that show is actually beneficial to people, and I'm going to try and start watching it. Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Way to go, Northman! Commit to eating for fuel and not for entertainment, and you're in business! Keep up with the great exercise, buddy!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
You know, I hate reality TV, but that show is actually beneficial to people, and I'm going to try and start watching it. Thanks for the tip!
LOL..I know I do too!

But that show is just good. Its like double dare with weight loss!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Way to go, Northman! Commit to eating for fuel and not for entertainment, and you're in business! Keep up with the great exercise, buddy!
GREAT point, Stan, and one I wanted to mention, but left out of my first post.

I would LITERALLY eat for entertainment, several times a day. It was like "Ok, what kind of crazy concoction of eggs, cheese, bread & meats can I whip up for breakfast this morning?", or "Oh, look - the Red Wings game is on tonight. Gotta get a pizza to go with that!", or "Hey, after the movie's done I'm gonna finish up the day by making a big, spicy batch of spaghetti with meat sauce", OR "Alright, there's a Wendy's comin' up next exit.....THAT'LL help quell the boredom of this drive downstate!" NO! You can't do that stuff, man! It leads to the essence of compulsive overeating!

Eat for fuel, not for entertainment. Great advice.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,487,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post

I'm not talking about a diet. I'm talking about changing the way I eat permanently. A complete about face.

You hit it on the nail....it really isn't about dieting, it's about changing the way you eat....it's a way of life. I also agree totally about portion control. I heard somewhere that your stomach can only handle a handful of chewed up food, meaning that would be about the amount of food that would make you feel full....not stuffed full and bloated but satisfied and still feel good.

Great job so far......good luck! You are an inspiration to others.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:07 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,547,134 times
Congratulations Northman...way to go!! It really isn't about dieting, because they don't work...it's about eating healthy, and you are really on the right path!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,455,589 times
Be careful eating too many cans of tuna -- mercury.

you can try egg white or white chicken meat.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:40 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
I think on an intellectual level we all have it figured out, but when you can apply this knowledge to your life as Northman has, then you'll reap the rewards of weight loss. Congrats Northman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss