Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,378,219 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had lap-band surgery? Not gastric by pass. I would like to hear from people who have had this procedure, their experience, suggestion, etc.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 01:44 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
Go to sparkpeople.com. sign up, its free. Then go to the message boards for 100+ lbs to lose. There are alot of people there that have had that procedure plus of course gastric bypass too. Just do a search for lap band surgery and you should find alot of posts about it.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,378,219 times
Thank you!! I started this thread thinking there would be a fair amount of interest, but apparently I was wrong.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:56 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,011,268 times
Default Lap Band

Hello,
I am also considering the Lap Band. Actually, as soon as we sell the rental house we have I am planning on doing it asap. For weight loss surgery I am considered a "light weight" LMBO, that's the ONLY situation I can think of that would consider ME lightweight LMAO There are several reasons why I want to have it done and I have done extensive research on it. I know it will not be all fun and games, however, I truly believe the end results will definately be worth it! The gastric bypass is just NOT an option for me (far too risky). I have not had luck dieting and I have a problem with binge eating as well as eating the WRONG foods. I know the only way I will be able to lose the weight is by doing something as drastic and costly as the Lap Band. I need a tool that will help CONTROL my eating.

Since you're not supposed to actually put links on here, I will tell you the BEST site I foung for the Lap Band. You can find out anything you want to know about doctors in your area, post any and all questions you may have and chat with bandsters as well. This site has everything you could possibly need. Go to msn dot com type in lap band chat and about 3 selections down click on the obesity help link. If you cannot find it, send me private message and I will give you the link.

If you have any other more specific questions just let me know! Have you selected a doctor yet? Are you having it done in here in the states? Or going to Mexico?
Good luck!

Old 03-17-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Message Board

One other thing I forgot to mention, when I was talking about post questions, it has a message board just like this! It is a GREAT tool for finding answers to all of your questions. When you click on the link I mentioned and get to the site, click on the left where it says message board! Make sure you look for the 2 threads that were posted by Wendell Edwards titled Lap Band 101 and Lap Band 102. It is filled with GREAT Q&A's about the band! You will LOVE this site! If you're anything like me, you will spend HOURS on it LOL.
Enjoy!

Old 03-27-2007, 02:58 PM

Wow, I am surprised this thread is not getting more replies as well!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:35 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Exclamation lap-band

I have a friend that had to have a corrective surgery done on her stomach from lap-band surgery. She was having pain and swelling. A CAT scan revealed the problem. Apparently, it had "buried itself" into her stomach so to speak and caused a hole and scar tissue. (She had researched the issue and it was done by a physician who was considered excellent in this field.) She had hers done about 2 years ago and has managed to lose about 90 lbs. She looks wonderful. So... I'm not saying don't do it, (although I personally wouldn't!) but be aware EVEN the lap band DOES have serious side effects sometime. (The doctor had to remove it in the corrective surgery.)

Old 04-04-2007, 03:08 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,915,807 times
Everyone:

I sold surgical equipment used in this type of surgery and thus was in the OR for these types of procedures. I can understand why people consider this surgery. I don't know your individual situations or how much weight you have to lose, but please please try another way. It is surgery and being overweight puts you at risk for complictions both during the procedure and post-op.

And whatever you decide do not ever, EVER go to Mexico to get this done, as alluded to above.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:41 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,654,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Everyone:

I sold surgical equipment used in this type of surgery and thus was in the OR for these types of procedures. I can understand why people consider this surgery. I don't know your individual situations or how much weight you have to lose, but please please try another way. It is surgery and being overweight puts you at risk for complictions both during the procedure and post-op.

And whatever you decide do not ever, EVER go to Mexico to get this done, as alluded to above.
Actually, I have a friend who got her lapband done in Tijuana - by referral of her cousin who also had it done successfully at the same hospital. Not all facilities along the border are second-rate. I have a cousin who has an award-winning smile who gets all of her dental work done in Nogales. You just have to know "where to go" in Mexico.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 8,126 times
I had lap band surgery and reached goal in under a year. Best thing I ever did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss