Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:44 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times

Advertisements

to me,,losing weight is a three part strategy, first you need the commitment level to stick with it and a routine, (mental commitment)
2nd, its diet,,adjusting what we eat and dont eat
3rd, its exercising, whether its cardiovascular, or resistence training (weights)

this program has worked for me..
as for dieting...you need to think of your body as a furnace .."burning" off calories, so eat lean proteins, brown rice, eat plenty of fruits and veggies
AVOID all sweets!!! omit sugar,,and dont overdue the carbs)
also,,the more water you drink,,the less hungry you get,,
as far as exercise,,,this all depends what time you can commit to yourself,,,anything is better than nothing,,a short walk is better than watching tv,,,a jog is better,,,,they say,,you need at least 15 minutes of some sort of cardio for it to work,
i have a stepper (35$) in my living room and use dumbells,,,at the same time,,doing curls,,,while stepping etc,,,,when i start to sweat i know im doing something right.
set a routine,,,in the am and in the pm,,,,3 reps of push-ups,,,and sit ups (crunches) and use the dumbells,,,all the better diet books,,,will say dont go by a scale (weight) ,,because you are converting fat to lean muscle,,, and having a better diet,,it will melt away.

i bought a "total gym" a few years back,,and love it,,,,can do a thousand different resistent positions and it works,,,

now,,read this carefully,,,most of us "psych" ourselves out,,when it comes to diets, , you have to break it down,,go for that short walk in the am,,,,and feel good about doing it,,,
keep this to yourself,,,dont be telling all your friends and neighbors?? why?? even if they mean well,,they will ask you how much have you lost?? and you dont need that pressure,,if you are losing,,they will notice and compliment you on it.
i noticed on the show "the biggest loser" the trainers were pushing these guys hard,,harder than what they wanted to give,,,,and without fear,,the big guys would drop from a heart-attack,,
im nowhere near the size of those guys,,but i learned you can push yourself to extremes,,and its good for you,,,,
i have a banking in my back yard,,,one of the best things i did,,to jump into training is,,,take two 5 gallon buckets,,,fill them with dirt/sand/water,....and carry them up and down the banking ten times,,, this gets everything going,,muscles,,,legs/shoulders,,,,and cardio,,, you'll be sweating quickly,,,which is good,,do 3 reps of this,,,
i also like going to the local school playground and run around them,,,,,,,,

good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 11:10 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,833,070 times
I went to my first WW's meeting yesterday. Yes it was all women, and no one really seemed to need to lose very much weight. Mostly the women were just trading brownie recipes and stuff. I didn't feel motivated at all. I need a "food evangelist" to help me not a bunch of women trading lo-cal dessert recipes. I can get that at work for free!!! My friend and I each paid $150. for 10 meetings. I feel like an idiot--and I don't even need to lose that much weight!! Anyone else had this experience with WW's? I was so p.o.'ed at feeling ripped off that I started walking 3 miles a day today.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:18 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I was so p.o.'ed at feeling ripped off that I started walking 3 miles a day today.
Then it was $150 well spent! J/K

Old 04-19-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Then it was $150 well spent! J/K
Yes but I just realized a "Freudian" slip! The "PLAN" is to walk three miles a day. So far I've only done the first day. I just would have rather spent the money on an attractive pt (young, male, straight, muscular). LOL

Old 04-19-2007, 11:28 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,035 times
Quote:
Yes but I just realized a "Freudian" slip! The "PLAN" is to walk three miles a day. So far I've only done the first day. I just would have rather spent the money on an attractive pt (young, male, straight, muscular). LOL
You and me both! Go sista!

Old 04-20-2007, 03:11 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
I went to my first WW's meeting yesterday. Yes it was all women, and no one really seemed to need to lose very much weight. Mostly the women were just trading brownie recipes and stuff. I didn't feel motivated at all. I need a "food evangelist" to help me not a bunch of women trading lo-cal dessert recipes. I can get that at work for free!!! My friend and I each paid $150. for 10 meetings. I feel like an idiot--and I don't even need to lose that much weight!! Anyone else had this experience with WW's? I was so p.o.'ed at feeling ripped off that I started walking 3 miles a day today.
We (my husband & I) attend Weight Watchers here in Texas and we have been really pleased with the meetings. They have been very motivational and helpful to get us and keep us motivated. However, I will say that the different instructors make a LOT of difference. The one we have, I think, is just especially good. I don't know if in the location you are they have multiple meetings of weight watchers like they do here, but if they do, I would suggest you try a different meeting locale or time when the instructor might be different. You may be able to find someone who runs the meeting more like what you are looking for.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
We (my husband & I) attend Weight Watchers here in Texas and we have been really pleased with the meetings. They have been very motivational and helpful to get us and keep us motivated. However, I will say that the different instructors make a LOT of difference. The one we have, I think, is just especially good. I don't know if in the location you are they have multiple meetings of weight watchers like they do here, but if they do, I would suggest you try a different meeting locale or time when the instructor might be different. You may be able to find someone who runs the meeting more like what you are looking for.
Yes, they only have only group in my community. But I heard these instructors are alot better than the last two instructors. LOL I just need strong motivational support.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
Yes, they only have only group in my community. But I heard these instructors are alot better than the last two instructors. LOL I just need strong motivational support.
Well, I don't know what to tell you then. A good instructor really does make a lot of difference. However, we have found that just the "accountability" of having to go and "weigh in" every week-that alone, has helped keep us focused.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, I don't know what to tell you then. A good instructor really does make a lot of difference. However, we have found that just the "accountability" of having to go and "weigh in" every week-that alone, has helped keep us focused.
Well, we are going to weigh in on Wednesday. Then we have to get into some serious walking. Otherwise I'm afraid we are going to be WW's flunkies!!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:26 AM

Well I managed to pull off some weight loss. 3.8 pounds last week, but I walked 2 miles everyday, and I haven't had one ounce of junk food. It is true that it is really a lifestyle change..but I have already given up cigarettes and alcohol so food is my last addiction. I walked around with the points book just checking out the junk food still in the house (which my spouse is devouring), and I am amazed how much garbage I was eating!! So, I'll just keep rocking. I'm not giving up shopping though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss