Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:30 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,818,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I'm a man and I am having a lot of trouble losing weight. I have lost 30 lbs, but I'm stuck at 270 lbs and I need to lose at least 75 more lbs to be my ideal weight. Anyways, I exercise everyday and eat no more than 2,000 cal.

But I am hardly losing any. And then there's no support groups because they're all for women. Weight Watchers is for women, and most everything else. Every time I see diet advice its for women.

I think as a man, my body won't work the same as a woman. But I am wondering why I have so much trouble losing weight. I am only 27.
Well you aren't eating enough to lose that's why you are stalled. As a man you need to eat more calories than a woman to lose consistently. At 2000 calories a day with exercise (assuming it's moderate exercise) you would need around 4000 calories to maintain your current weight...but since your body is only getting half it thinks it's starving and being as efficient as all human bodies are it has slowed your metabolism down to be sure not to lose anymore weight...because obviously you need to conserve your fat stores for this long famine you are in. You should realistically aim to lose no more than 1% of your body weight each week any more and you will mess with your metabilism. So at the weight you are at now that is 2.7lbs for this week...you should be eating at least 2700 calories a day, more if you exercise. You can go to caloriesperhour.com to calculate the number of calories you are burning during the exercise you are doing and add most, if not all of those calories to your daily calorie intake as well. This will break the plateau you are on. As you drop weight you will drop calories but for now you need to eat more than you are.

Be sure to increase your calories in a healthy way by using good oils (olive, canola) in your foods, more fruits, more lean protein...don't add back 700 calories of potato chips...that is not good

If you go to Weight Watchers you will find some men in the meeting, they are geared for both. If you visit their website you can sign up for their community forum (it's free) they have a "guys on a diet" forum/thread that is just for men, as well as you will find men posting to various other boards there. Just a thought. Hang in there it will come off eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 03:58 PM
bgb

4 posts, read 32,723 times
Most men don't talk about weightloss. It's usually women who worry about their weight and shape. Man can usually get away with being heavy and women don't want to gain any more. My husband and I find that cleansing (not colon cleansing) works best. Cleansing is something that most people in the US don't do. nor do they know the many cleansing products out there. It works to rid the body of all the toxins which contribute to weight gain.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:44 AM

24 posts, read 141,141 times
men should be able to talk about and deal with their weight lose same as women, but this society, women are suposed to look certain way, men are not supposed to complain about their looks...
but i also do think that different weight loss pills/diets should be geared for men and women differently, because our bodies and motabolisms are different...
maybe sometimes also women dont want to work out at a gym that men work out at, but as far as a weight loss group for support, men should be as welcome as women... just my opinion

Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,566 times
i work for a supplement company, and from what i know it's because there are more women who are concerned about weight loss than men. but, almost all muscle-building or sports related supplements are marketed towards men, even though there are plenty of women who are interested in them as well. it's basic marketing theory; choose which market segment your product will have the most success in, and advertise accordingly.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:54 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
I don't know if you noticed Living Romans, but the last post on this thread was 11 years ago. I think the OP has moved on.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I'm a man and I am having a lot of trouble losing weight. I have lost 30 lbs, but I'm stuck at 270 lbs and I need to lose at least 75 more lbs to be my ideal weight. Anyways, I exercise everyday and eat no more than 2,000 cal.

But I am hardly losing any. And then there's no support groups because they're all for women. Weight Watchers is for women, and most everything else. Every time I see diet advice its for women.

I think as a man, my body won't work the same as a woman. But I am wondering why I have so much trouble losing weight. I am only 27.
WW is not just for women. When I have gone to its local meetings at least a 3rd are men.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:06 AM

7,134 posts, read 12,675,471 times
I've always found it interesting (and sad!) that as women, we mostly focus on our weight as a barometer of how we look...and the media does this to us by featuring very slender women as models. To be considered "hot" we're supposed to look a certain way--curvy but skinny.

But if I were queen, I'd focus on our weight -- for both men and women -- as a barometer of our good or bad health.

Heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women in the USA.

Why? Because our American diet is way, way too high in unhealthy fats, salt and sugar. And huge portions.

When we change our way of eating to be low in saturated and partially hydrogenated fats -- and low in simple sugars and salt --and control our excess calories -- we WILL lose weight AND be healthy, too. This applies to men and women.

There are lots of "Skinny Fat" folks who may look good on the outside but be sick on the inside. They can still be prone to heart disease, high blood pressure, fatty liver and diabetes.

It's more complicated than body size, isn't it??

Why not be healthy on the outside AND inside through smart and wholesome eating?

Old 08-30-2018, 11:46 AM

508 posts, read 459,968 times
I am on Weight Watchers and going with a young male who I got to join. Yes, he is sometimes uncomfortable because most who attend meetings are women but there are some men too. I wouldn't worry about that though, it's a decent program and will help you lose/maintain your weight.

I do agree that weight loss in general is geared towards women but I'm guessing that's because women, even those who are a mere 100 pounds, feel they are overweight. Plus, overweight women are judged by men (I've heard them!) while overweight men have no issue attracting women. Makes sense?

Old 09-01-2018, 11:36 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
WW is not so good for men. The information & techniques are good but the groups are dominated by women & every one I ever went to after the main talk the "gals" all starting talking about clothes & children & jewelry & schools with each other, rare was the woman who talked to me other than the bare pleasantries. I suppose being one of only 1-2 men in the group makes it easy for the women to bond with each other since men are... different.

I'm not expecting a chat about football or having them volunteer to tune-up my car either, but talking about weight loss & diet is the only reason I'm, we're, there, not to hear about where there are good sales on blouses.

In theory I have absolutely no problem being in a group of woman trying to reach a goal, none, my career field was female dominated by the end, but the reality was very off putting, maybe like being the only female at a gym...

Old 09-02-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
WW is not so good for men. The information & techniques are good but the groups are dominated by women & every one I ever went to after the main talk the "gals" all starting talking about clothes & children & jewelry & schools with each other, rare was the woman who talked to me other than the bare pleasantries. I suppose being one of only 1-2 men in the group makes it easy for the women to bond with each other since men are... different.

I'm not expecting a chat about football or having them volunteer to tune-up my car either, but talking about weight loss & diet is the only reason I'm, we're, there, not to hear about where there are good sales on blouses.

In theory I have absolutely no problem being in a group of woman trying to reach a goal, none, my career field was female dominated by the end, but the reality was very off putting, maybe like being the only female at a gym...
WW meetings are not for socializing even though that happens before and after the meeting. The meetings are supposed to be about techniques on how to stay on the plan. They get 30 minutes to do that so they are not going to waste that time talking about other stuff. If your WW meetings are being led by someone who is allowing this type of small talk then I would find another one to go to, or complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss