Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,799,323 times

Advertisements

I'm a man and I am having a lot of trouble losing weight. I have lost 30 lbs, but I'm stuck at 270 lbs and I need to lose at least 75 more lbs to be my ideal weight. Anyways, I exercise everyday and eat no more than 2,000 cal.

But I am hardly losing any. And then there's no support groups because they're all for women. Weight Watchers is for women, and most everything else. Every time I see diet advice its for women.

I think as a man, my body won't work the same as a woman. But I am wondering why I have so much trouble losing weight. I am only 27.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 AM

10 posts, read 39,111 times
I thought weight watchers also welcomed men. Hmmm You know what they say when you see a need in society fill it. Maybe you could help other men by starting a group?

Old 04-08-2007, 01:25 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,396,459 times
Women are generally more concerned with their weight than men so therefore, weight loss products are more geared towards them. However, by "geared" I'm referring mostly to advertisements that heavily feature women and that are more likely to be found in women's magazines or on television networks like Lifetime and Oxygen. In terms of actual programs, diets and advice, they're not really gender specific. However, if you're looking for one that at least seems somewhat geared towards men, Nutri-System seems geared towards men in the same way these others I noted are geared towards women in the sense that you see many ads on Spike TV and the commercials generally feature men; or you could pick up any men's health magazine like Men's Fitness and there will inevitably be dozens of weight loss tips and programs in it. If looking for an online support group, a cursory google search will turn up a plethora of results for men looking to lose weight.

Losing weight is less about gender and more about diet and exercise.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:53 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,799,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Women are generally more concerned with their weight than men so therefore, weight loss products are more geared towards them. However, by "geared" I'm referring mostly to advertisements that heavily feature women and that are more likely to be found in women's magazines or on television networks like Lifetime and Oxygen. In terms of actual programs, diets and advice, they're not really gender specific. However, if you're looking for one that at least seems somewhat geared towards men, Nutri-System seems geared towards men in the same way these others I noted are geared towards women in the sense that you see many ads on Spike TV and the commercials generally feature men; or you could pick up any men's health magazine like Men's Fitness and there will inevitably be dozens of weight loss tips and programs in it. If looking for an online support group, a cursory google search will turn up a plethora of results for men looking to lose weight.

Losing weight is less about gender and more about diet and exercise.
I realize women claim they are victims of the media. Its probably true.

But men are starting to also. How many ads do you see with big fat men?

Ok, well, thats a moot point. No one wants to look at them anyway. But its pretty obvious that both genders today are facing that type of thing.

I dont' wanna be buff, I just wanna be healthy and be able to fit into my pants without a girdle.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:07 AM

2,218 posts, read 5,396,061 times
How many ads do I see with big fat dudes?

Well, every time a subway commercial comes on. That Jared dude. He annoys me.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:49 PM

10 posts, read 39,111 times
Default weight loss for men

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I realize women claim they are victims of the media. Its probably true.

But men are starting to also. How many ads do you see with big fat men?

Ok, well, thats a moot point. No one wants to look at them anyway. But its pretty obvious that both genders today are facing that type of thing.

I dont' wanna be buff, I just wanna be healthy and be able to fit into my pants without a girdle.
It could be that because when people are polled about their weight 80 percent of women say they need to lose at least 10 pounds , whereas less than half of men admit to being unhappy with their weight. In our society women have for a long time felt the need to be just a little slimmer, a little tanner, a little prettier. So from weight loss to cellulite creams women buy a whole assortment of things to try and compete with what we see in magazines. Market reasearch shows that the biggest target audience for weight loss is women so thats how things are marketed. Even the articles in magazines and books are published with the idea that if they are targeted toward women they will sell more copies. In another 10 years it could be that there will be just as much out there targeted toward men, because, as you said, things are changing. Those impossibly thin bodies in advertisements are not only women now, but, men too, and men are feeling the pressure.
In the past I think the way that marketing approached men was from the sexappeal angle using womens pictures to try and entice men to buy things, instead of trying to make men feel like they needed to change their physical appearance to fit in. Times are changing now.

BTW I believe that the website for the show Biggest Loser is supposed to have resources for both men and women trying to lose weight, or even just getting in shape. And your goal to just get into shape and be healthy is a good goal for both men and women. When people didn't worry so much about being the thinnest person in sight there were fewer overweight people,lol.
Good luck with the weight loss.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
Vasinger, if you work out at a gym you might want to work with the gym's registered dietician, if they have one. I had gained a little bit of weight and tried to diet to lose the weight as well and I really wasn't losing any weight either. I moved to a new state and joined a gym and got a personal trainer (whom I still have) and a registered dietician. Even though I thought I was eating the right things and taking in a certain amount of calories per day, the things I was eating were not beneficial for me to lose weight. A lot of how to lose weight depends on what you eat as opposed to how many calories. In other words, I was taking in 1200 calories per day - but they were the wrong foods. The wrong foods slowed down metabolism or broke down into sugars or contained a lot of fat, etc. The dietician schooled me on what to eat. I now take in the same amount of calories - 1200 per day, but the foods I eat are different. I have lost all the weight and I am keeping it off.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:39 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,255,285 times
When we started the gym, the pt told us that men don't like to "lose" so "losing weight" sends off an auto-response to a man's brain where they get turned off with the idea. So to counter that, you have to encourage men to "gain muscle" and "increase health" blah blah. I thought he was full of it but then again ...

Old 04-14-2007, 10:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
I am an expert at losing weight. It's hard for anyone. A good site is fitday.com. It's free and you can track your intake daily. It takes a little time but it's worth it.

Here are some tips that helped me:
drink nothing that has calories
eat more protein
anything green and raw is a free food
use a smaller plate
do some type of exercise daily
eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day

The real ugly truth is that diets don't work for people with more than 15 or 20 lbs to lose. For long-term sustained weightloss, it has to become a way of life. Forever! Good luck! I know how hard this is!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:19 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Default Weight Watchers

My husband and I are both attending Weight Watchers where we live. Yes, the majority of the class is women, but there ARE quite a few men besides my husband who are in our class. I know recently Weight Watchers overhauled their points system to better accommodate the increasing number of men who are attending the meetings now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss