Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 11:46 PM

69 posts, read 232,966 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
Recently I've been on health trip, which I have been doing pretty good with, I've lost 10 pounds due to excercizing and a better diet. I've also noticed starting to look it's best in 5 years. I do not drink any pop(soda) or carbonated drinks. But for the past couple of years I practiced a poor diet, and through that I developed a VERY bad habit; eating late at night.

Here is my problem, I am really trying to stop this, but sometimes I get so hungry and feel like I need to eat something. Even though I know that eating this late is the worst thing I can do at the moment but sometimes I just can't get my mind off of food! Has anyone else had this problem? How did you deal with it? Any tips?

<------Wants to keep his health streak going!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:22 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,382 times
I work late two nights a week and when I come home at 11:30, I'm usually starving because I ate dinner nearly six hours earlier. After taking a bath, putting my feet up and watching a favorite late night show, nothing hits the spot better than a ham/cheese sandwich with chips and a tall glass of milk. I know it's after midnight but dammit, I'm hungry. I've tried snacking on fruit or something lite and nutritious at work, but those snacks do nothing to stave off the hunger I feel when I get home from work. Eating like this is terrible for my wasteline. I could use some advice as well.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 AM

90 posts, read 623,120 times
what I normally do when I get late night hunger, is I drink a glass (bottle) or two of cold water. Makes me feel filled up and able to sleep without hunger pangs.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
A substitute for the ham/cheese, chips and milk late night snack (high in saturated fat, salt and preservatives) might be an apple sliced up with dabs of organic peanut or almond butter on each slice...gives you crunchiness, bulk, some good fat, and is nutritionally dense and should fill up that hungry place...

Another choice could be a half cup of some good cereal like Grapenuts, Cheerios, Bran flakes or such, with some chopped up fruit and a sprinkle of raisins or walnuts...use skim or low fat milk...again, crunchiness, good fats and some filling fiber/bulk...

Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,382 times
I like the idea of eating cereal instead. I could do corn flakes with strawberries or bananas. I already drink 1% milk and use artificial sweetner (equal). Sometimes I eat more out of habit while watching tv late at night when I come home. What I really need to do is turn the TV off and just go to bed.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:03 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Just take a protein shake or some lean lunch meat and cheese. Having that in your stomach while you sleep has been shown to raise your metabolism.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:39 AM

145 posts, read 412,292 times
you can get tins of soup for one which are often low in fat and easy to digest

Old 06-12-2009, 09:04 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADshock81 View Post
Hello everyone,
Recently I've been on health trip, which I have been doing pretty good with, I've lost 10 pounds due to excercizing and a better diet. I've also noticed starting to look it's best in 5 years. I do not drink any pop(soda) or carbonated drinks. But for the past couple of years I practiced a poor diet, and through that I developed a VERY bad habit; eating late at night.

Here is my problem, I am really trying to stop this, but sometimes I get so hungry and feel like I need to eat something. Even though I know that eating this late is the worst thing I can do at the moment but sometimes I just can't get my mind off of food! Has anyone else had this problem? How did you deal with it? Any tips?

Look, there is really no merit to this idea that if you eat late at night it is somehow going to make you fat. As long as you are eating good foods in moderate amounts there is no problem. If you're sucking down an entire Devil's Food cake when midnight strikes, yeah, you're going to have a problem. If you're eating an entire EXTRA meal late at night, yeah, that's a problem. Otherwise, don't worry about it. Go ahead and save some of your daily intake for late at night -- it's harmless!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADshock81 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm not an expert, but I don't think eating late at night is necessarily all that awful...depending on what you eat. Yeah, if you eat a Wendy's double bacon cheeseburger late at night right before bedtime...that might not be a great idea. But something like soup, cereal, yogurt, or maybe even cheese and crackers is totally acceptable. Or one of those low-calorie Smart Ones deserts, if you're craving sugar. If you body is hungry or craving something, I believe you should listen to it, no matter what time of day it is. Just make sure you're eating because your body needs it, and not for emotional reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss