Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:38 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,220 times

Advertisements

I've been maintaining a weight between 135-145 for the past 10 years. Up to this point, I've been pretty comfortable with that. According to most doctor's office posters, I'm not overweight and, until now, I didn't feel fat (although I would love to have a lower body fat percentage...less than 20% would be awesome). I also just recently decided that my weight might be interfering with my 5K time..not to mention my ability to run more than 2 miles at more than 6.5 mph.

So, I decided to start counting my calories so that I can lose 10 pounds or so. Right now, I'm 133 (yeah, not a big deal, but I cheer for every pound). This is kind of hard for me. I'm supposed to eat 1,500 calories or less on days that I don't exercise. That's not too bad, except I'm a heavy drinker. On days that I run, I rarely go over my calorie goal. But, on days that I'm trying to recover from my runs, I don't go to bed as early and end up drinking a lot. My calorie intake on these days is sometimes kind of ridiculous. Like, I might have as many as 10 drinks. Is this excessive? And, if it is, is there something I can use as a substitute for drinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I might have as many as 10 drinks. Is this excessive?
I don't know if it is, but 99.99% of qualified health care professionals will say it is.

How old are you?

When you get a routine blood draw, how do you liver data look?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:49 PM

I'm 28. No, I don't get routine blood draws, but I feel pretty healthy. I had a foot fungus condition (gross) about a year ago and they tested my blood then. If my liver was bad, supposedly I wouldn't be able to take the medicine (I think it was Lamisil). My doctor told me my blood tests were fine, though.

And I don't drink 10 drinks every night...but I do it maybe two to four times a week. Sometimes more, if I'm on vacation or something. I feel pretty healthy. My main concern is the calorie content of booze. It's kind of crazy, I'm pretty good at controlling myself around food, but I go a little crazy around alcohol sometimes. I think I just need a good substitute for it. Maybe I need to figure out why I like to drink so much and go from there.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:24 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Holy crap. Yeah...that is excessive. You need to cut that sh*t out...10 drinks, in one night? How the hell do you find your way to bed at night?

Definitely a health issue...go talk to your doctor about it. You need to ditch that monkey, and quick.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
I'm 28. No, I don't get routine blood draws, but I feel pretty healthy. I had a foot fungus condition (gross) about a year ago and they tested my blood then. If my liver was bad, supposedly I wouldn't be able to take the medicine (I think it was Lamisil). My doctor told me my blood tests were fine, though.

And I don't drink 10 drinks every night...but I do it maybe two to four times a week. Sometimes more, if I'm on vacation or something. I feel pretty healthy. My main concern is the calorie content of booze. It's kind of crazy, I'm pretty good at controlling myself around food, but I go a little crazy around alcohol sometimes. I think I just need a good substitute for it. Maybe I need to figure out why I like to drink so much and go from there.
I drank that much when I was 28 too but the older you get and the longer you drink, the less your body (liver especially) can tolerate that - your hangovers get worse and worse (I'm not a doctor so this is all speculation about the mechanisms of drinking - it just seems this way). If you keep that up, eventually your liver data will go out of range and your doctor will ask you if you drink. This is even more likely to occur if you are on cholesterol lowering statins (like Lipitor), which themselves stress the liver.

The good news is, you can quit drinking alcohol. For those on this forum, you can't quit eating food. It's ten times easier to quit something (alcohol) than it is to moderate something (food).

Old 06-20-2009, 08:47 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
As per the internet, the average calorie count of an 8 oz mixed drink is 300. So, even if you are a happy camper after 10.....that's 3000 calories.

Maybe you could find some lower calorie cocktails here:
Low-Calorie Drink Recipes

I don't drink mixed drinks too much at all since they no longer agree with me. I'm more of a beer drinker. So, I can't judge your drink intake (and won't), but if I drank 10 beers a day, I would look like a cow and have the brain of a mush mouse.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Like, I might have as many as 10 drinks. Is this excessive? And, if it is, is there something I can use as a substitute for drinking?
Holy crap!!! You're eff'n with us because there is no way ANYONE can have 10 drinks and still be functional (or even alive). Ten shots, ten beers, or ten anything else will have you looking like Lindsay Lohan after a night out on the town.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the link! That will come in handy. I usually just drink vodka mixed with Crystal Lite. That's about 75 calories per drink. Sometimes I just do shots, though, so I don't have to worry about the extra calories. So, even if I have 10 drinks, that's only about 750 calories. Which is a lot, I know. But I generally only eat around 750-900 calories, and I exercise almost every day, so it's not making me gain weight just yet. I don't know what's up with me, but I can have 10 drinks and feel pretty normal. I might have a little headache in the morning, but nothing big. I just have a high tolerance.

What I need to do is just stop whining and exercise some self-control. I'm used to drinking a lot because I've done it for a long time. I do it when I get bored late at night and can't sleep. But I don't want to have serious health problems later on. That would not be good because I take pretty good care of myself in the eating and exercise departments. I think what I need to do is figure out a way to either be sleepy at night or not bored.

As far as quitting completely, I really don't want to do that. I feel like depriving yourself of something completely just makes you want it more. I just need to work on moderating my intake.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Holy crap. Yeah...that is excessive. You need to cut that sh*t out...10 drinks, in one night? How the hell do you find your way to bed at night?

Definitely a health issue...go talk to your doctor about it. You need to ditch that monkey, and quick.
Yeah, I'm not totally sure why I do it. It's not like I'm depressed and trying to drink away my sorrows or anything. And I'm not partying out on the town. I stay at home and watch TV, usually. I think I'm just bored. Maybe if I went on longer runs or did some extra exercise, I'd be too tired to stay up late drinking.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
10 shots of vodka several nights a week? You are on the road to being alcoholic if you don't curb it now. You need to find a hobby or a project to keep you busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss