Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:06 AM

18 posts, read 94,980 times

Advertisements

Yeah I was able to get my run in but I cut it a little short. I went a different route that was harder so it all evened out. Great job keeping up the workouts. Right now my husband is really wanting to stop working out 5 days a week but he knows that's what's best. Good job on the calories since you were at work. I don't think I could do this if I had to work also. It would be to much. I love up days! Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 PM

6 posts, read 30,145 times
hi, i just started this diet today. i first heard about it just yesterday from a co-worker and i went home and read about on-line and decided that i was goning to start it right away. i am over 100 pounds overweight, and nothing ever seems to work. this diet really seems like something i will be able to stick with, i am really excited. i work a full time job and have a husband, a 3 year old son, and 2 dogs, so i have a pretty full schedule. the exercise part is always a struggle, but i just have to stay focused and get to it. so far on my first day i am on my second 170 calorie shake, and i plan to have one more in the evening, so that will make 510 calories total for my first day. i can't wait until tomorrow!!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:25 PM

i haven't read the book yet "The Alternate-Day Diet" by Dr. James Johnson, but from what i read on-line at his website "johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com", i understood that for the first 2 weeks on your down days you are supposed to only drink the shakes, not actually eat food, is this correct??? like i said this is my first day, and i planned to have 3 shakes (170 cal. each) and drink lots of water. i really would love something to crunch on right now, but i just have to remember that i can have whatever i want tomorrow!

Old 09-17-2009, 05:06 PM

Hey lorijo34. That's great that you decided to try this way of eating. I know it says you should only have shakes the first two weeks but I didn't stick to that and I've lost 13 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks. I used and still use shakes and I make the egg drop soup recipe from the book. The best shakes to get are the EAS Advantedge Carb Control. They are only 110 calories and have 17 grams of protein. I also have a husband and a 2 year old daughter so I know what you mean by being busy. Try to get some walking in after work with your dogs and son at least 30 minutes. If you have to have something to crunch on try celery. It is a lifesaver in those first couple of weeks. Now my usual down day consists of a shake (maybe) and some soup. Progresso has some good soups with only 120 or 140 calories for a whole can. There's also a brand I think it is called Select Harvest that has some light soups that are really good. You can have anything in the first 2 weeks as long as you know that you are under 500. I wouldn't keep going over 500 if I were you, don't know if it makes a difference or not. Right now I am trying to stay at 200-300 on my down days. Good luck. Hope this helped a little.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:03 PM

thanks for the input. that's awesome that you've lost 13 lbs. wow, 200-300 calories that's amazing, it seems like staying at 500 will be hard. but for me (since i am quite big) 20% of my normal calorie intake is about 500 calories. i did order the book online today. i wish i would have known about those EAS Advantedge shakes before i went out and stocked up on these 170 calorie shakes, they are the off brand of the slim fast optima. 3 of them total 510 calories, so that's only 10 over. i will have to get some of those other ones too. and i have to get some celery and check out the soups, i've never really been much of a soup eater, but i know they have some really good ones out there. well i ended up working out tonight, it turned that i got a call from a friend that was going to workout, so i went too!! i am so glad, otherwise i would've been just sitting home thinking not being able to eat. i am drinking my 3rd and final shake, this time i put it in a blender with ice, it's much better, more like a treat. i am going to try and stick to just the shakes and no food (other than maybe some celery) on the down days for these first 2 weeks, we'll see. i've never really been successful on low calorie/low fat diets, the low carb have worked for me, but i always put it back on, and then some. i am so looking forward to tomorrow!!!
again, thanks for your input. i am so glad i found this, it will be nice to be able to share stuff with others.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:11 PM

27 posts, read 106,810 times
Welcome lorijo34! This way of eating sure is different! Knowing you can eat the following day helps you get through the down days. I have a challenging weekend ahead though as I am in an intensive (and exhausting) 3-day seminar where we go out for lunches (I have 2 more coming up in October). Tomorrow and Sunday are my down days and I am planning on ordering soup and/or salad. It is going to be tough - wish me strength!

Congratulations hs69391 on your 13-pound loss in 3 1/2 weeks - that is terrific!!! You are doing SO well! I couldn't help myself and I weighed in this morning...2 pounds lost in 3 days...haha. My first actual goal is to make it to Thanksgiving (which is in a couple of weeks for us here in Canada). I'll see what the scale says at that point (and take it more seriously).

Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 AM

lorijo34-that's great that you will be only doing shakes you're stronger than me. Let me know how your first day goes.

Congratulations doing it on losing 2 pounds already. This way of eating shows fast results if done right. You two keep up the good work. I won't weigh myself again until Monday. Hopefully I'm down another 2 pounds. Good luck this weekend everyone. I wish you al of the strenth in the world Doing it.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 PM

27 posts, read 106,810 times
I did it!!! I am so pleased. Today was a down day while I had to be in a dry all-day seminar (with treats provided) and lunch out, but I did very well. I just calculated my calories and I consumed about 613. Not only that, I came home and did my workout which completed Week 1-Phase 1. I now have 2 days off of exercising which I am going to need as I pulled a muscle in the back of my leg at the top (under my bum) which happened right after my warmup - how sad is that. It is painful to climb stairs. But I am committed to this program and no cold or pulled muscle is going to get in the way (I say that now but let's see how I feel on Monday). I hope you guys had a good day today!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Today has been ok. I am at 220 calories and will probably stay there. Didn't workout today. Having family problems. Congratulations on making it through today. Keep up the great work. I'm gonna try to run tomorrow and take a 3 mile walk to even out not working out today. We'll see.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:48 AM

congrats to both of you for sticking to it! my first day with just drinking the shakes wasn't as bad as i thought it would be, i didn't have anything but the shakes and water. day 2 was great, being able to eat whatever i wanted. now i am on day 3 (my second down day), it is going to be a little harder than the first day because i am home with my son all day and have to cook for him of course, my husband will be off to work later, so my son and i will have to just keep busy. i am confident that i can stick to just the shakes again today, it will be hard, but i am determined to do this. since i am just starting out with the exercise i thought i would try to workout about 3-4 days a week, i thought every other day would be good. i thought that i read somewhere that you should workout on your up days, but it seems like working out on the down days would be better for me because that is a good way to keep me busy and not thinking about food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss