Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:15 AM

238 posts, read 554,382 times

Advertisements

What dieting tips have worked for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 06:25 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
rachx90
Exercise(your welcome to join us in our daily exercise thread)
and the most important !! Take in less calories that you burn.

karla

Old 04-18-2007, 06:46 AM

kewl where is it Karla?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
right in this forum

it is listed by the day

Todays is called "wednesdays here I go again" exercise thread.
I start it every morning after I complete my walk. You can post daily or just a few days a week.
It really is a good motivation knowing you have to post that you did your work-out.
There are a really cool bunch of folks that follow the thread you will be warmly welcomed.
It doesn't matter how much you do, just that you do something. start slow and build up after time.
karla

Old 04-18-2007, 07:34 AM

kewl, gud idea btw

Old 04-18-2007, 07:34 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
rachx90
Exercise(your welcome to join us in our daily exercise thread)
and the most important !! Take in less calories that you burn.

karla

Yeah, what she said.

Don't "diet" (that never works long term anyhoo).

Move more!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:09 AM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times
Something that has worked for me in the past. I need to start it up again.

100% real cranberry juice not from concetrate, nothing added. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they carry it. All it is is organic cranberrys. No added sugar, no preservatives.

Mix 1 part cranberry juice with about 8 parts water. Drink a glass whenever you want something sweet (the drink isn't sweet, it is very tart, but I have noticed that it usually kills cravings for me). Also, drink a glass a few mintues or more before a meal--it fills you up a bit so you eat less. Also, it flushes out toxins. Very healthy!

Old 04-18-2007, 01:14 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
None - sorry to say. If I had never dieted, I wouldn't be the size I am today. I have lost 40 lbs - gained 50 and repeat too many times. I could start a talk show on this :-).

I have come to grips that I will never be slender. HOWEVER, I have made some changes in my life some consious some not.

Every morning when I wake up I drink at least 10 - 12 oz of water before I drink coffee or eat anything. Drinks lots of water throughout the day.

Plenty of fresh fruit; fiber, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, grilling food, no salad dressings. No salt. I never use artificial sweetner. Do not drink sodas. No fast foods. Foods have to be a fresh as possible. I can not tolerate chicken unless it is natural so I don't eat it very often. Fresh seafood grilled. No junk food such as chips - I do have pita and hummus instead; infrequent consumption of cheese. Yes to red wine but in moderation.

This isn't a huge step, but baby steps are good, too.:-)

Old 04-18-2007, 01:20 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
PS - forgot the most important point - Exercise!!! Moving!! Walking!! Biking!

Water aerobics - love it!!

Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times
Here is what has worked for me...
-Exercising
-Lots of raw veggies before meals
-Coffee tends to decrease my appetite (I have about a cup a day, two cups when I go and get a cup of coffee some evenings)
-Also I try to have lots of fruit even though it has alot more calories then veggies, it has lots of fiber so it fills me up.

I went from 185 pounds to 215 pounds from 2000 to 2001 because I quit excercising. I had no idea that when I stopped walking, running and working-out that I would gain that much weight despite the fact that I was eating about the same amount I would say about 2500 calories.

I starting walking everywhere after I got up to 215 pounds and with-in two month I remember being down to 200 pounds. I lost about 15 pounds which was a little under 2 pounds a week by just walking alot around 5-8 miles daily even though I maintained the same caloric intake about 2500 calories.

I know when I started running/walking up to 15 miles a day (3 hours every-evening) and in the summer of 2003 I went down to about 175 pounds on weight. I was probubly in the best shape of my life that summer and I think my eating and excercising habits were best in that year also.

Now I am about 185 pounds and run/walk about 8 miles daily (I dont eat as well now as I did a couple of years ago). Its about 3 miles to the coffee-shop where I have a cup coffee and tea alot of evenings and there is a trail that I take to get there which is nice. Sometimes I also add 4 miles to my routine by going to the store and buying what ever fruits and veggies I like also.

I could be in better shape then I am now for sure and I have been eating more high-calorie foods then I did a couple of years ago and not excercising as much but in my opinion there is a happy medium and 6 foot and 185 pounds is good for me.

From my experience, I have had about 2500 calories a day I would guess for the last several years but the amount I weigh depends more on how much I excercise then how much I eat.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-18-2007 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss