Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:10 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,324 times

Advertisements

Might work for you, ChessieMom, but I live to eat. Food, sleep, and sex are pretty much the best things imaginable to me.

I think the key is moderation. When we go out, we go to Applebees, Moe's Southwest, get a takeout pizza, a local taco place, or Subway. I know the calorie count of pretty much everything that I'd get on each menu, and calorie budget accordingly. Sure we'll try other places, but those are what we both like, are affordable, and I know exactly what I'm getting calorie-wise so they're all pretty regular.

Like I know that when I get my absolute favorite nachos from Moe's, it's about 1,600 calories. Yikes. So I get the queso on the side, use only about half of it, and load up on veggies. I'll make sure breakfast is just a piece of fruit and if I get hungry for dinner, it'll be something like canned tuna and salad. Simple, very low calorie. I'm not about to give up one of my only vices because there are too many calories...I'd rather just have the rest of my meals that day be very spartan.

Applebees, I'll always cut my meal in half, order veggies as a side, and eat the other half for lunch the next day. That seems to cut most meals down to acceptable caloric levels.b

Subway I load my sandwich with veggies, oil and vinegar, and split a footlong with DH. Water or diet soda, always.

And at the dreaded mexican restaurant, I've found that grilled steak tacos in corn tortillas with cilantro, onion, and avocado (average 150 cals each) is just as satisfying as that deep-fried chimichanga. I just don't let myself get chip refills and call it a day.

See a theme? Veggies, veggies, veggies. Even on the takeout pizza. I'm not a sweets person, so I can't help you much there.

I love restaurant food, and I really like the break from cooking it provides. But you really have to know your food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 06:17 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I wish people would stop blaming everything and anything for their weight problems.

You hit the nail on the head....moderation went out the window with lots of people. People are lazy and don't cook for themselves anymore. And I too when I go out can never finish the portion sizes I get so I will eat till I'm satisfied then bring the rest home to eat the next day.
Some people suck at cooking, and somehow manage to burn Ramen noodles, and make scrambled eggs have the consistency of a rubber pot holder.
Or oatmeal that's so hard the entire dish it was made in has to be thrown away.
Some people have tried cooking, but have given themselves food poisoning too many times whilst trying to ever have the true desire to do so again.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:25 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,702 times
Wink It's a matter of "CHOICE" -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I've started paying more attention when I go out to eat, especially now that the nutritional information is readily available. I totally understand why so many Americans are overweight or flat out obese.

I went to a Mexican restaurant the other night. For one combo item (taco, for example) and rice and beans, it was $8.99. Two combo items cost $9.99. Three combo items cost $10.99. Anyone not paying attention to calories or fat would say, "Oh, look how much more I can get for only $2 extra!"

I was also shocked to note that a piece of my favorite "black out" cake from The Cheesecake Factor has over 1,300 calories in a single slice! Granted, the slices are huge, but even if you split a slice with friend, that's still about 650 calories per person! Just for dessert!

Even so called "healthy" restaurants aren't that healthy when you look at the portion sizes, or the buffet style of places like Souplantation.

I can never eat out again.
I LOVE TO EAT OUT!! It's all about CHOICE ! I've educated myself about nutrition. I know which foods are really healthy and which foods to avoid. The internet is an excellent tool for research for anyone who is sincere about what is healthy and what is not healthy to eat.

IMHO Thai food is high on the "healthy" scale and when I eat out (several times a week) I favor Thai and seafood restaurants I've maintained the same size (10) throughout most of my adult life and I know the difference between eating healthy or not - and the restaurant is not to blame - it's the person making the choice what to eat

Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Might work for you, ChessieMom, but I live to eat. Food, sleep, and sex are pretty much the best things imaginable to me.
Whatever works for you.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:57 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,382 times
Eating out is doable. I got a book from Weight Watchers listing all the popular resturaunts menu items. There ARE many dishes you can have and still watch your weight. It's all about making good choices and planning ahead of time what you are going to order before you go to the resturaunt.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:37 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
I was happy about the cals because the first thought I had:

"DUDE...HALF PRICE LIVING!" and just split it with whoever I was there with.

Its a win win situation!☺

Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I was happy about the cals because the first thought I had:

"DUDE...HALF PRICE LIVING!" and just split it with whoever I was there with.

Its a win win situation!☺
I'm that way too!

I'm frugal first, and a fat kid second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss