Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times

Advertisements

BigD, I think people are only asking for a little acknowledgement that it is not as easy for everyone as you make it out to be.

Like I said, I am working very hard to avoid surgery. Having some professional help would be a real benefit. My only issue is that I wish that people were given some more help before being led to that as their only option.

I am glad for YOU that your weight melted off like nothing when you just changed your eating a little and went to the gym .......... Every pound for me is a real struggle. I have left a doctors office in tears after I was TOLD I "just had to have been eating 3000 calories a day" when in fact I was very carefully complying and eating 1500. I have also eaten a healthy diet for years and have a very good cardiovascular system with the "arteries of a teenager".

Like I said, took me years to figure out that I believe for me the secret is excercise and a LOT of it, because even at 1000-1200 calories I can just stall and not loose weight for months. It is my last resort before I, too, will consider the knife. I will not go into my 60s carrying a lot of extra weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:56 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I do not buy the body temperature argument; my body temperature has been as low as yours for years, obese and not obese; I do not think it has a huge effect on my metabolism.

I did not have help either. No doctor guided me through this process, no personal trainer helped me to design a fitness routine. I used common sense and did my own research.

As for gastric bypass...personally I am not a fan of it, I think too many people think it is an easy option, and I think a lot of the people who do have it could have lost the weight themselves if they had had enough discipline and willpower to push the plate away or to say "no" to another helping or to drive right past the fast food drive-through.

Also, there is no way to determine with 100% accuracy what you need to maintain your weight, or exactly how many calories you burn in a day. All of those are just estimates and if you find that you are eating enough to lose weight but are hungry all day long, see a doctor. There may be an issue at work there.
BigD, you obviously have a very one-sided view of this whole weightloss thing. I was one who was considered morbidly obese. Due to my health issues (caused by excessive weight), I was unable to exercise and lose the weight on my own. I thank God every day for my GB surgery. It literally saved my life...

Congrats to you on your success thus far, but please don't think that everyone's experiences will be anything like your own...

Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I'm done responding, Bigd. I will say that you know nothing about me, what I do for a living, if I have been through this and have used my experience as an example, or anything else about me related to weight loss or gain. Good luck to you in your continued weight maintenance and may you not look down upon people who constantly struggle with this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
BigD, you obviously have a very one-sided view of this whole weightloss thing. I was one who was considered morbidly obese. Due to my health issues (caused by excessive weight), I was unable to exercise and lose the weight on my own. I thank God every day for my GB surgery. It literally saved my life...

Congrats to you on your success thus far, but please don't think that everyone's experiences will be anything like your own...
My views of this have been shaped by my own experiences and observations, nothing else. I thought I "struggled" before, but it was not until I was serious (and 100% honest about my eating) that I was successful. I have seen others be equally successful doing the same things.

As for surgery, as I have said more than once on this thread, I think it can be appropriate for certain people but again, some people do see it as the easy way out or they think it is the only way they can lose weight. I think both of those are wrong. I do not consider a life-altering operation to be an "easy out" but if people go into it with the wrong attitude and do not change their behavior/attitudes about food, they will eventually gain it all back. What a waste, don't you think?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:19 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
When I was 25 I lost 70 pounds in SIX WEEKS! I just stopped eating...drank water ALL the time & Exercised. My Uncle got me into lifting weight! All I could do at 1st was sit on the floor & lift the bar. Within 2 weeks I could stand & lift 50 pounds over my head 10 times. I also rode bike from his house to town & back 3-4 times a week.
Well I got kicked in my Siatica by a horse & broke my arm when I was 31. & from then on I could not exercise...hell I couldnt walk for 2 yrs without pain! Now jump to 2001 I rolled over in bed was paralyzed!
As others have said DONT lump me with the Fat Lazy junk food eaters that Wont get up and Move! I would IF I could! I barely eat 500 cal most days! & I only get to go to the PT pool when ever the Medicare/Medicaid will pay for it! 12 weeks everyother yr! Yet they be glad to PAY for surgery grrr
I dont eat sugar do to Diebieties & I dont eat fat cause of my Galbladder!

Old 12-24-2009, 03:46 AM

4 posts, read 19,434 times
I've read that another reason why we gain weight (fat) is due to all the pollution and toxins in our environment - I read an interesting article about how man made chemicals may be making us fat Moderator cut: must have more than 10 posts to make specific recommendaitons, read the TOS and to me it makes some sense. I know quite a few people who have lost weight through detoxing. OK - it's still a diet as such, but it's getting back to eating healthily and making those lifestyle changes.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-30-2009 at 06:00 PM..

Old 12-24-2009, 02:26 PM

Yes & I think its from ALL the Sugars they ADD to foods!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I went to 2 diff hospitals' intro seminars and both said that while they don't understand the mechanism, gastric bypass affects a diabetic's glucose control in ways that the lap band does not. Since I currently take 300 units of insulin per day and spend close to $250/month on just insulin, I have an appt next week w/one of the doctors.

I know it's not an easy fix and I have debated for over a year about this. It's a lifestyle change that is "helped" by the surgery. I also know people who have over-ridden the surgery by poor eating habits and gained it all back plus some. I also have sleep apnea, hypertension, gastric reflux, and severe back pain. So, for me, if I get any relief it will be worth it!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:50 PM

Southern Belle I wish you the world of luck that everything works & you feel much better!

Would you consider doing a blog that we can read on your process? From your 1st drs appt to pre tests etc...maybe like a daily journal. I for 1 would love to read it!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
I think it's misused, abused, and overused.

For the seriously morbid obese, I can see them resorting to gastric bypass. But for someone 250lbs? How about we start out with dieting, exercising, nutrition, and counseling (if it's needed)

Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 PM

hahaha for my size & bone structure 250 pounds is Twice my weight [right now I am over that!! So tell how much you think I should weigh Before I get the operation?
Its more than just weight involved its also your medical conditions they consider!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss