Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:13 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times

Advertisements

Had to give up all caffeine and carbonated drinks before a surgery.....just did it cold turkey. Not easy. Sure missed the Diet DP's for a long time. I'm back on coffee again but not nearly as much as before....and I make it 'half-caff" at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 04:14 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
The way to quit a habit is to just simply bite the bullet and stop. I quit a 5 year long tobacco habit cold turkey, no prob.
I quit a seriously devastating and expensive 7 year long cocaine habit cold turkey, no prob.
I quit a 44 year long alcohol habit cold turkey, no prob.
Now I'm stuck with a 9 to 12 cans of RC cola per day habit and have no plans to quit that.

My step dad used to say " All the good things in life are either illegal, immoral or fattening" !
You are brave to openly admit all this and I congratulate you on your accomplishments! You are not helping the op though, Knot T...... LOL!!!

However, you are living proof that addiction can be broken and your main point is 'just do it'!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Yes "just stop it" seems to work for me but so many folks seem to have a rough time quitting a habit. I think that if a person really wants to quit an addiction it's much easier for them than if they are trying to quit to please someone else or ordered by a court etc.
I can just hear a judge telling me I have to perform community service, (picking up cans on the side of the highway) for drinking 9 to 12 RC Colas per day !

Old 11-20-2009, 08:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I got a humongous 12mm kidney stone and had surgery for it. The doctor told me drinking cola is the #1 cause of creating these stones, and since I was prone to them I had to stop drinking cola immediately. I haven't had one since that day.

The thought of ever having a kidney stone again was more than enough to break any addiction. OMG cola is so bad for you!

Old 11-21-2009, 05:51 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
I quit all soft drinks about two years ago. I was drinking probably 12 cans of diet something every day. I was so hooked. I visited my Aunt who is almost 95 and amazing. She is a health nut and had stopped all soft drinks a few years ago. She said she just never has stomach problems now. I think all the fizz is just hard on your stomach.
I just went cold turkey and replaced is with decaf ice tea and made my own lemonade. I drink a lot more water now which is so much better.
I was hard but now I just don't consider having a soft drink....I'm free

Old 11-21-2009, 07:05 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,375,946 times
I quit cold turkey and offered it as a sacrifice for something I really wanted. It took a few weeks to get past the cravings. The caffeine headache lasted a few days.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
I used to love Cherry Coke Zero a few years back when I worked in an office, and they had it at the fountain at the cafe downstairs in the building I worked....seriously, fountain Cherry Coke Zero!

Anyhow, what I didn't realize was a coincidence at the time was that I always had heartburn. After I left working there, I stopped drinking the soda...now, I very rarely get heartburn. All that fake sugar and fizz was wreaking havoc on my stomach, and I didn't even realize it!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 AM

127 posts, read 364,622 times
I quit cold turkey, too. I gave up soda for a whole year, then on New Year's Eve I had a celebratory Dr. Pepper (I dream about the taste, seriously). It was delicious, but the next day I felt hungover from just one can. I had another can on my birthday (October), but other than that i've stuck to Ginger Ale when i'm sick. Or if my husband is drinking Dr. Pepper i'll take a drink of his, I get the taste without my stomach revolting. I've probably averaged one soda a month all year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss