Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:48 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

I am addicted to soda and would really like to quit completely. I drink 2 or 3 12 oz cokes per day. I do not need to lose weight. But soda does make my face break out. I do not like diet and I don't think switching to diet is really a good idea anyway, since it really isn't much healthier.

So...for people out there, have you kicked a serious soda habit? If so, how did you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I am addicted to soda and would really like to quit completely. I drink 2 or 3 12 oz cokes per day. I do not need to lose weight. But soda does make my face break out. I do not like diet and I don't think switching to diet is really a good idea anyway, since it really isn't much healthier.

So...for people out there, have you kicked a serious soda habit? If so, how did you do it?
Start reading the ingredients. That is diluted corn syrup with acid for tartness and a synthetic "cola" flavor that does not occur in nature. Seriously, google each ingredient and think about all that junk that you're pouring down your gullet. It's like they say, sh** in, sh** out.

Get some black tea singles and start drinking those. Plenty of caffeine, no calories, no carbs, no corn syrup.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
The above & water with lemon...helps the water go down!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,026 times
I agree with the lemon water. Personally, I never found "knowing what's in it" to be very motivating. Obviously soda is something you know is bad and you drink because it tastes good.

If you're buying it and have it around the house, STOP. Then try to find something that tastes good and you will want to drink. I started buying fresh lemons and putting a slice into a glass of ice water. Unless I'm really thirsty I don't like plain water that much, but lemon makes it taste really refreshing! Husband and I stopped buying pop, started buying lemons, and we only drink pop occassionally if we are out to eat.

Another thing, it may be hard to give up and you may crave it. If you REALLY want some, go to a gas station and buy one can. Since we used to have it around the house, having to go out just for a can makes us stop and think first instead of mindlessly drinking.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
I agree with the lemon water. Personally, I never found "knowing what's in it" to be very motivating. Obviously soda is something you know is bad and you drink because it tastes good.

If you're buying it and have it around the house, STOP. Then try to find something that tastes good and you will want to drink. I started buying fresh lemons and putting a slice into a glass of ice water. Unless I'm really thirsty I don't like plain water that much, but lemon makes it taste really refreshing! Husband and I stopped buying pop, started buying lemons, and we only drink pop occassionally if we are out to eat.

Another thing, it may be hard to give up and you may crave it. If you REALLY want some, go to a gas station and buy one can. Since we used to have it around the house, having to go out just for a can makes us stop and think first instead of mindlessly drinking.
Right on.

I was never a huge coke consumer, but cutting that out of the diet drops 150 calories easy.

If you must have it, make it count, enjoy it with your one slice of pizza, when most of us really enjoy the "fizz."

Never was a diet soda drinker, now, however, due to some sunbed exposure in my early years will have to contend with the carcinogenic effects of that...ugh, it's always something, eh?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:49 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Wean off and then just don't buy it. Use seltzer and juice concentrates for a fizzy drink. They taste way better and you can play with combos. (like peach/pineapple)

Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times
I can tell you what's working for me so far. I tell myself that I can drink it on Fridays. That way if I really get a craving I know that it's not 'forever', but just a few more days. It's amazing that since I've stopped drinking soda (it was Dr. Pepper for me) I haven't really wanted it all that badly.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:12 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
There are two addictions. Sugar and caffeine. For caffeine I went cold turkey because I just couldn't do it slowly. There were a lot of headaches though. For sugar I get my fix elsewhere with solid food. I now drink lemon water. I buy bottles of lemon juice because it is more convenient than lemons. I keep a mixed in jug of water in the refrigerators so it is as convenient as a soda bottle.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:18 PM

14 posts, read 41,760 times
I second kansas sky.. I did the same thing with soda and some foods I have a problem with, and made Sunday a day where I could have a cheat MEAL. I could go all week without one knowing that I would be able to have a diet coke with a good cheeseburger and fries. I would say by week 4 I stopped craving them and coke started tasting bad!! Try it out..
PS I traded coke for crystal light rasberry lemonade or just lemon water.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Cold turkey. Just do it. Yeah, it's going to be hard but you can try soda water with fruit in it (lime, lemon) or seltzer that is already flavored.

I went years without drinking soda...lost weight...you can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss