Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:21 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,264 times

Advertisements

I know a couple of people that are beginning the HCG diet and was just curious if anyone had done this and it proved to be successful or not. My understanding is you basically eat 500 calories a day for 21 days and either go to a clinic to get this HCG shot or they have another option of giving yourself the shot. The shot is a hormone that is the same hormone that is released when a woman is pregnant and this nourishes the baby. Supposedly you lose a pound a day because the shot burns off 4,000 calories and you eat 500, so basically 3,500 a day is what you are burning. Then after you lose the weight you slowly eat the normal calories a day that are required for your body type. It sounds like starvation to me, so that is why I am asking if anyone has heard of this. I did a google search and read the infomation but of course that was all positive. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I persoanlly wouldn't mess wirth any of teh diet shots hormone or speed.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:55 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Thumbs down Terrible idea!!!!

There was a person here a while back who I believe was pocketing money from unsuspecting people regarding this.

THIS IS ONE OF, IF NOT THE MOST DANGEROUS AND UNHEALTHY DIETS OUT THERE. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS.

500 calorie per day diet is dangerous, and even a small chiuauwa dog will lose weight but the internal organ functionality will be severely impacted hence the fact that this is a terribly unsafe and ridiculous diet. DONT DO IT.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:23 PM

Don't get me wrong I am not thinking at all of doing it. I only have 10 or so pounds to lose, as I have been doing W. Watchers. I would much rather lose weight in a healthy slower process. I only asked the question because as I said I have a friend that just started it yesterday and it sounded like starvation, plus what is that shot doing to your body. She is bound and determined this is her last hope of losing weight and I am concerned of the damage to her body. They say the shot makes you burn 4,000 calories a day....how. The effects of this and what it does to your body might not be known for years. I just remember the Phen Phen era and all the damage that did to peoples hearts.

Thank you for your post on this subject

Old 08-18-2009, 04:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I know a couple of people that are beginning the HCG diet and was just curious if anyone had done this and it proved to be successful or not. My understanding is you basically eat 500 calories a day for 21 days and either go to a clinic to get this HCG shot or they have another option of giving yourself the shot. The shot is a hormone that is the same hormone that is released when a woman is pregnant and this nourishes the baby. Supposedly you lose a pound a day because the shot burns off 4,000 calories and you eat 500, so basically 3,500 a day is what you are burning. Then after you lose the weight you slowly eat the normal calories a day that are required for your body type. It sounds like starvation to me, so that is why I am asking if anyone has heard of this. I did a google search and read the infomation but of course that was all positive. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I have taken HCG shots and they worked fine for me. However, if these people are actually TELLING YOU that the shot will burn off 4,000 calories a day, they are lying to you. I have nothing against using HCG to assist with losing weight (I'd use it myself if it was not so expensive), but having a clinic tell you things because they are 1. Lying or 2. Too stupid to know, then I would be very concerned about using them.

Also, you cannot possibly obtain the amount of food nutrients that you need eating 500 calories a day. Depending on your current weight, you need to reduce your caloric intake by no more than about 15 percent. If you eat food that is more dense in nutrients and less dense in calories, then you can actually eat MORE than you are eating now. But to drop to 500 calories a day is madness.

If you are decided to use HCG then I would certainly find a doctor who knows what they are doing. The one you are talking to doesn't.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-18-2009, 04:36 PM

19 posts, read 186,322 times
Default I use HCG for weight loss

I''ve been using HCG for weight loss for quite a while, as are a lot of people I know........It is NOT A DRUG, NOT SPEED, ETC. ETC....
It is a natural hormone and in combination with a low calorie diet, you can loose all the weight and FAT you want.........
It comes as an injection, sublingual, and homeopathic............it's very healthy, and I guarantee when you finish, you will be healthier...............It's truly good stuff...........

Last edited by margretdzn; 08-18-2009 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: want to subscribe

Old 08-19-2009, 05:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margretdzn View Post
It comes as an injection, sublingual, and homeopathic............it's very healthy, and I guarantee when you finish, you will be healthier...............It's truly good stuff...........
You cant "guarantee" this and if anyone would do a search on this HCG crap they will find that it is quite UNHEALTHY!! This is the same crap that is being pushed by this Trudeau snake oil salesmen who spent time in jail for fraud among other things. Its a moneymaking scheme for HIM.

People, you want to lose weight, watch what you eat and start a low impact cardio class and you'll be on your way. You do NOT need unhealthy hormone shots and and even MORE unhealthy 500 calories per day diet. Smoking crack cocaine is healthier for you as a weight loss gimmick than the HCG crap. DONT DO IT!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:35 PM

I just wonder what damage it does to your organs. And if down the road years from now we will see that it did damage similar to phen phen

Old 08-20-2009, 07:10 AM

90 posts, read 297,136 times
Well, first of all I am being followed by a very reputable doctor who KNOWS this is a healthy way to lose weight. I have lost 75 lbs, kept it off, AND have come off of most of my meds. I am no longer pre-diabetic and no longer take much thyroid medication. Does this sound unhealthy to you?
hCG is a hormone produced during pregnancy....if it were so dangerous, then we wouldn't have millions of women having babies every single day.....

Before knocking things, go to yahoo.com/hcgdietersgroup and take a look at the 12,000+ people who have lost, are losing and have kept it off. Oh, and by the way, the money is very minimal if you know what you're doing and do your homework. There is no reason whatsoever to go through a clinic for this.

Michele

Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 34,608 times
I can attest to that. hCG is the ONLY thing that has allowed me to lose weight in nine years, and to compare a hormone that women naturally produce in amounts millions of times more daily than we take to reduce weight, with a combo such as phen-fen, is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss