Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:57 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
You know there are tons of hidden carbs in things so read labels and watch out meatloaf with beans and breadcrumbs could totally wreck todays low carb numbers. Your gonna do it, keep going , read, go to the library go take out some low carb books it works once you figure out what is really low carb but your on the right track DONT GIVE UP!!!
There are no bread crumbs in the meatloaf, just fyi. It just has beans and then eggs to hold it together. But with the Ground Turkey, I didn't care for it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:35 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
There are no bread crumbs in the meatloaf, just fyi. It just has beans and then eggs to hold it together. But with the Ground Turkey, I didn't care for it anyway.

I am low-carbing too, so thought I would comment on this one. Beans are very high carb, so should not be included in your diet.

Also, you should not be doing low carb and low-fat (turkey). Someone else mentioned this but it is a bad idea and will not work. The fat actually is a necessity to your weight loss (in addition to high protein and low-carb of course).

Also just an idea for a "meat-loaf". I did this one recently, instead of bread crumbs, substitute parmesan cheese. Egg is fine, it needs this, spice it up good (however you like), and do not add bottled sauces (ketchup and bbq sauces have loads of sugar in them), I put a small amount of plain tomato sauce in mine. It does have a different taste than traditional meat loaf, but was edible.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Also, just wanted to offer encouragement, because I know how you feel about the stall. I have lost 10 pounds total (in 2 months) and have heard of many people getting much quicker results than this. I have just decided to tell myself that this is a lifestyle commitment and the weight will come off(even if it isn't as fast as I would like). Everybody's body is different and it very well could be your metabolism, but don't let that stop you (or give up on this way of eating).

Old 09-02-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post
Also, just wanted to offer encouragement, because I know how you feel about the stall. I have lost 10 pounds total (in 2 months) and have heard of many people getting much quicker results than this. I have just decided to tell myself that this is a lifestyle commitment and the weight will come off(even if it isn't as fast as I would like). Everybody's body is different and it very well could be your metabolism, but don't let that stop you (or give up on this way of eating).
Thank you and that's exactly the way I am looking at it. I've made a decision to change the way I live my life in general. Being more active and eating better are the two major things at the moment. The reason I decided to do the low-carb is because I was hoping the jump start would peak my motivation even more.

The thing I don't understand is why this South Beach Diet book has all these recipes in them for stage one that include beans. It's obvious now, that when I count up the carbs, it's too many for stage one.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Thank you and that's exactly the way I am looking at it. I've made a decision to change the way I live my life in general. Being more active and eating better are the two major things at the moment. The reason I decided to do the low-carb is because I was hoping the jump start would peak my motivation even more.

The thing I don't understand is why this South Beach Diet book has all these recipes in them for stage one that include beans. It's obvious now, that when I count up the carbs, it's too many for stage one.

What I have been told about the restriction of carbs is that the more you restrict the more you lose, this is the jump start effect that is at the beginning of Atkins.

South Beach takes a different approach, it seems that you could still lose this way, it just may take longer. For some it may be easier than the severe carb restriction. When I first started I wasnot losing either because I was doing a modified version (more like stage 2 of Adkins), I only had to cut out the nuts for a week to get mine going.

The other thing that is ironic to me is that I seem to have no middle ground, I eat very few carbs and do well this way, once I add some back in then I want to eat anything (CARB) insight; that's the all or nothing personality type in me.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
What I have been told about the restriction of carbs is that the more you restrict the more you lose, this is the jump start effect that is at the beginning of Atkins.

South Beach takes a different approach, it seems that you could still lose this way, it just may take longer. For some it may be easier than the severe carb restriction. When I first started I wasnot losing either because I was doing a modified version (more like stage 2 of Adkins), I only had to cut out the nuts for a week to get mine going.

The other thing that is ironic to me is that I seem to have no middle ground, I eat very few carbs and do well this way, once I add some back in then I want to eat anything (CARB) insight; that's the all or nothing personality type in me.
I seem to have done pretty well (only 3 weeks) at sticking to my guns this time. Oh, I'll admit the past couple of days I've had a french fry or two from my kids plate, but if I have to start at the beginning again, whats the difference. Starting tomorrow, it's back to the beginning...again.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I lost 114 pounds in a little under 11 months without following any specific diet other than to cut calories. I designed my workouts to be half strength training, half cardio. It worked very well for me.

Personally I think following any kind of prescribed diet plan (like Atkins) is a recipe for failure. You can lose weight that way, but when you start eating normally it comes back. One of my coworkers has lost and gained back and relost and regained back the same weight over and over on low-carb diets yet he swears by them.

Diets do not work. Permanent lifestyle changes do.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I lost 114 pounds in a little under 11 months without following any specific diet other than to cut calories. I designed my workouts to be half strength training, half cardio. It worked very well for me.

Personally I think following any kind of prescribed diet plan (like Atkins) is a recipe for failure. You can lose weight that way, but when you start eating normally it comes back. One of my coworkers has lost and gained back and relost and regained back the same weight over and over on low-carb diets yet he swears by them.

I agree with the statement in regards to lifestyle, but that's kind of the point. You can't lose the weight and then go back to eating the same way you did when you gained it. One of the reasons there are so many obese Americans is because we are glutons (sp?) and we pack ourselves with white bread, white sugar, and bad fats. The whole point of a low carb lifestyle is to eat good fats, carbs with lower glycemic impacts and whole grains. That is the life I want to live.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Atkins is a lifestyle. I get what you are saying if this were only just a diet, as in...when I lose weight I am going back to eating crap all the time, but it's not (at least for me). I prefer this way of eating because I feel better physically, not just because I have lost a few pounds. I, like many other people end up doing a low-carb lifestyle because what you just said, and the AMA, and a lot of people think is the way it is supposed to work, just doesn't work. Here's my example (of me).....I was never heavy until a few yrs ago when I had drastic weight gain from medication I was taking (45 pounds in 6 months). I quit the medicine, lost 10 or so pounds in a fair amt of time (3 or 4 months I think), and then nothing. All that time with the weight gain coming on, I had done nothing different to gain that weight, and then when I tried to lose it by "eating right" and exercising 5 or 6 times a week.....nothing, zilch, no weight loss. I was like that for a few years and tried to do different eating plans, and couldn't exercise more than I was. I sat down one day and did a calorie count and found out my regular diet (that appealed to my appetite, not a starvation trying to get skinny diet) was barely 1000 calories on a given day. Everything I read said I should be losing weight or eating more (and I couldn't even force myself to eat more).

Blah blah blah, anyway, my point of all that is that traditional AMA subscribed eating lifestyle does not work for everyone. I know it is hard to ratiopnalize since the AMA tries to program us that is the way it is supposed to be for optimium health, but guess what look at other cultures and you will find people with less disease and obsesity not eating that way at all.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:12 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Atkins is a lifestyle. I get what you are saying if this were only just a diet, as in...when I lose weight I am going back to eating crap all the time, but it's not (at least for me). I prefer this way of eating because I feel better physically, not just because I have lost a few pounds. I, like many other people end up doing a low-carb lifestyle because what you just said, and the AMA, and a lot of people think is the way it is supposed to work, just doesn't work. Here's my example (of me).....I was never heavy until a few yrs ago when I had drastic weight gain from medication I was taking (45 pounds in 6 months). I quit the medicine, lost 10 or so pounds in a fair amt of time (3 or 4 months I think), and then nothing. All that time with the weight gain coming on, I had done nothing different to gain that weight, and then when I tried to lose it by "eating right" and exercising 5 or 6 times a week.....nothing, zilch, no weight loss. I was like that for a few years and tried to do different eating plans, and couldn't exercise more than I was. I sat down one day and did a calorie count and found out my regular diet (that appealed to my appetite, not a starvation trying to get skinny diet) was barely 1000 calories on a given day. Everything I read said I should be losing weight or eating more (and I couldn't even force myself to eat more).

Blah blah blah, anyway, my point of all that is that traditional AMA subscribed eating lifestyle does not work for everyone. I know it is hard to ratiopnalize since the AMA tries to program us that is the way it is supposed to be for optimium health, but guess what look at other cultures and you will find people with less disease and obsesity not eating that way at all.

you are correct. I have never had a better blood profile, cholesterol eating fat!! Especially the so called saturated fat!! I have never felt better, healthier and thin on a high fat diet!!! Amazing how much crap the AMA fed us for years. To further my point my mother and sister followed the so called low fat diet, they got fatter, diabetic type 2, lost their kidney function on SUGAR not the evil protien and fat!! This has been so full of lies Read a book GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES if you want more studies that are unbiased. Your right kid!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss