Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:57 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the 122 goal weight number? Was this medically suggested to you? Weighing in at 144 isn't that heavy for most people at 5'4'' and not overweight.

However, if being thinner is something that will help your medical condition, I don't know if going that low on caloric intake will work long-term. What's your exercise level? I just worry you'll gain in back if you try to stay that low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,243 times
Good Luck to you. Thank you for sharing with us.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
The reality is the medical profession has not cured these conditions so your step away from that method of treatment seems wise. I found my body craved certain foods when I was ill... potatoes and grape juice which seemed to put me on the right road.

You might also investigate the book Alkalize or Die. there is a great deal of info in it.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:35 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I could easily subsist on 960 cal a day, and often do. Usually above that though. And I do exercise, a LOT.
me too, I would have no problem at all. Truly, it's a lot easier for those who weigh less for a start because they would need less daily calories for maintenance. However, i'm pretty tall (6'0), many days i won't go past 1000 cals, or just barely so (and some days i fast), i go to the gym, walk a lot and practice some sports and i never faint. I did feel dizziness and some queasiness when i went on a very strict diet, during the first few days, even weeks, but now my body knows how to make use of the available energy and my health is very good, much better than when i had my "mandatory" 1500 cals or so, which made me overweight to be honest (or maybe not the calories, but i was overweight and they didn't help).

I think the best idea might be not oscillating a lot between having many calories and having few. Keeping a routine is always good.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:52 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Just because you can does not mean you should nor is it healthy at all. Its disordered eating. If you are becoming overweight on 1500 calories you need to go to the doctor for a check up. That is not normal.

I can't believe this thread. Its like some pro-ana bs.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 AM

not at all. I have regular check-ups and analyses (blood & urine) and my health is perfect. I don't fit any of the purely objective criteria for any ED (just because i want to be slim doesn't mean i'm sick or inducing vomit every time i go past some limit, y'know). I've even been able to completely avoid a cholesterol problem that runs in my family. I just didn't need the 1500 cals (i was merely telling my story, not telling others that they should be under-1500 a day. The only thing i advised is not to oscillate too much as it is damaing for the body). Is it disordered eating just because you say so?

Last edited by noela; 09-20-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 AM

672 posts, read 2,113,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Just because you can does not mean you should nor is it healthy at all. Its disordered eating. If you are becoming overweight on 1500 calories you need to go to the doctor for a check up. That is not normal.

I can't believe this thread. Its like some pro-ana bs.
I TOTALLY agree. This is pro-ana bs. A woman's body needs 1200 calories just to function - keep heart beating, brain processing etc. Anything less than 1200 is disordered eating and will throw a body into starvation mode.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:27 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
http://www.annecollins.com/diets-weight-loss-programs.ht (broken link)
"dietitians and nutritionists advise against fad diets that are either too low in calories (eg. under 1000 calories per day), or that lack sufficient nutrition (eg. very-low-carb diets). At present, the consensus among diet experts is that the GI diet is probably the optimum dietary method for most people. In essence, diets based on the glycemic index promote high quality carbs, such as whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruits, lean protein and moderate amounts of good quality vegetable oils. Daily calorie intake may vary from 1200-1600 calories (for women), and 1600-2000 calories for men."

I eat between 800 - 1000 calories a day... and i no what your thinkin..

"Please know that Calorie Count cannot and will not support you eating less than 1200 calories a day. If you are a teen, the number is actually 1500. We consider this unhealthy and CC is all about HEALTHY weight loss or weight maintenance

From Mary Hartley, Calorie Count's Director of Nutrition: "By eating only 800 calories, you will not get enough energy, protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and other components of food. In time, you could become malnourished, which can cause severe health risks such as respiratory infections, kidney failure, blindness, heart attack and even death."

Here is a brief reason why never less than 1200 from the Advice section of Calorie Count Plus, under the Q&A tab:

Why must I eat at least 1,200 calories a day when I want to eat less?

In order to get the daily food servings you need for a balanced diet, it takes about 1200 calories a day. With careful planning, you could have a balanced diet on 1000 calories, but the restrictiveness of a very low calorie level can lead to binging and weight cycling, which will take you further from your weight loss goal. What's more, very low calorie diets can cause excessive muscle breakdown and metabolic adaptations, which can drive down your calorie requirements. In the end, you'll need fewer calories to maintain a higher weight.

Your body needs at least 1200 calories per day to survive.

Here is a very rough scientific break down provided by a dietician for a 5' 2", 19 year old female weighing approximately 100 pounds, sitting around all day and doing nothing:

-The heart needs 12% of the calories (144 cals)
-The kidney needs 12% of the calories (144 cals)
-The Liver needs 23% of the calories (276 cals)
-The brain needs 23% of the calories (276 cals)
-The skeletal muscle needs 30% of the calories (360 cals)"

Old 09-20-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
I TOTALLY agree. This is pro-ana bs. A woman's body needs 1200 calories just to function - keep heart beating, brain processing etc. Anything less than 1200 is disordered eating and will throw a body into starvation mode.
ketosis is one of the first and most telling signs of starvation mode. My urine shows no signs, so it's not my case. Of course, i would never condone a "diet" where health was in danger and i am always hearing my physician's advice on anything. The purpose of a diet should be an optimal state. My diet is good for me because my health is great.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 AM

672 posts, read 2,113,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
http://www.annecollins.com/diets-weight-loss-programs.ht (broken link)
"dietitians and nutritionists advise against fad diets that are either too low in calories (eg. under 1000 calories per day), or that lack sufficient nutrition (eg. very-low-carb diets). At present, the consensus among diet experts is that the GI diet is probably the optimum dietary method for most people. In essence, diets based on the glycemic index promote high quality carbs, such as whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruits, lean protein and moderate amounts of good quality vegetable oils. Daily calorie intake may vary from 1200-1600 calories (for women), and 1600-2000 calories for men."

I eat between 800 - 1000 calories a day... and i no what your thinkin..

"Please know that Calorie Count cannot and will not support you eating less than 1200 calories a day. If you are a teen, the number is actually 1500. We consider this unhealthy and CC is all about HEALTHY weight loss or weight maintenance

From Mary Hartley, Calorie Count's Director of Nutrition: "By eating only 800 calories, you will not get enough energy, protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and other components of food. In time, you could become malnourished, which can cause severe health risks such as respiratory infections, kidney failure, blindness, heart attack and even death."

Here is a brief reason why never less than 1200 from the Advice section of Calorie Count Plus, under the Q&A tab:

Why must I eat at least 1,200 calories a day when I want to eat less?

In order to get the daily food servings you need for a balanced diet, it takes about 1200 calories a day. With careful planning, you could have a balanced diet on 1000 calories, but the restrictiveness of a very low calorie level can lead to binging and weight cycling, which will take you further from your weight loss goal. What's more, very low calorie diets can cause excessive muscle breakdown and metabolic adaptations, which can drive down your calorie requirements. In the end, you'll need fewer calories to maintain a higher weight.

Your body needs at least 1200 calories per day to survive.

Here is a very rough scientific break down provided by a dietician for a 5' 2", 19 year old female weighing approximately 100 pounds, sitting around all day and doing nothing:

-The heart needs 12% of the calories (144 cals)
-The kidney needs 12% of the calories (144 cals)
-The Liver needs 23% of the calories (276 cals)
-The brain needs 23% of the calories (276 cals)
-The skeletal muscle needs 30% of the calories (360 cals)"
Thanks for the detailed info. Hopefully folks will read it :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss