Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,186 times

Advertisements

My husbad is 6'4" and 404 lbs. Granted he is a big guy by design, but his attitude is that this is how he is and there is not changing it. I ask him to go walking with me, or come to the gym with me but instead of seeing it as trying to help him he says I'm putting him down! He went to the Dr. 2 months ago and was given androgel for low testosterone and was told he should stop smoking and try to lose weight. He also has problems sexually. Why would he insist that he is not overweight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Uh, would you term his relationship with food as "healthy" or "dsyfunctional"?

Is there a possibility that he has a problem with disordered eating........such as.......... Binge Eating or Compulsive Overeating???

Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Your husband needs to be the one to decide whether or not he is going to commit himself to a fitness program. No matter how much you love him, you can't do it for him. It's possible that he really doesn't want to walk for exercise. Or go to the gym. Maybe he would prefer biking, swimming or playing tennis. Maybe he's more of a team sports type of guy. What has he done for exercise in the past? At any rate, it's his call.

In the meantime, do some fun, active things together (but don't call it exercise!) - hike to a lake and go fishing. Go an a walking tour of an historic area. Go bowling....

Old 03-23-2011, 02:35 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
androgel? why not just get injections?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:08 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
It's his life so there isn't much you can do. Does he recognize the fact that he will most likely die early and leave you a widow? Because it's the truth. He'll probably make it to aged 60 or so. Perhaps you can try approaching the topic from that angle.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:39 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I was in that situation (sorta) and unfortunately it is all on him. You can try to manipulate things, but chances are he'll see it as an attack on him. I'm sure he knows he is overweight and he most definitely is quite overweight, but he's really the only one that can do something about it. Hopefully he is getting tested for several things such as diabetes. If he doesn't have it yet, he probably will pretty soon...

Old 03-23-2011, 05:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
do you 2 have any children? i think its selfish for the parents to satisfy their desire to eat like pigs and their kids suffer by losing their parents early.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireylatina30 View Post
My husbad is 6'4" and 404 lbs. Granted he is a big guy by design, but his attitude is that this is how he is and there is not changing it. I ask him to go walking with me, or come to the gym with me but instead of seeing it as trying to help him he says I'm putting him down! He went to the Dr. 2 months ago and was given androgel for low testosterone and was told he should stop smoking and try to lose weight. He also has problems sexually. Why would he insist that he is not overweight!
Unless your doctor want's to pound some facts into hubbies head he's the kinda guy that has to get a wake up call to change his lifestyle.

Sad part is, when guys like this fall they fall really hard. Good luck, kiddo.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,291 times
I seriously doubt that your husband thinks he's not overweight. it's probably the dead opposite. I can almost guarantee that his weight and size are the 2thing that he is most aware of.

It's a very slippery tightrope to walk really. He knows he needs to lose weight, or at least improve his health. But knowing something and using that knowledge to take a pro-active approach are 2 completely different things.

I'd go as far as to say that his problem is that he's got food and eating issues (most likely disordered eating--I bet he virtually starves and then binges, doesn't he?), as well as self esteem and self confidence issues. It's not surprising that the lower your self esteem and confidence are, the less motivation you have to tackle whatever your problem might be, be it weight, smoking, drinking, gambling, compulsive lying.....kleptomania......compulsion and addiction are very complex situations.

I understand his reluctance to exercise. When you're very large, not only is it difficult to do physically, but it's difficult mentally and psychologically as well.

When I was at my biggest, I knew I needed to move more to facilitate the weight loss, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I was ashamed of the way I looked, that everything jiggled and wobbled, that I looked ungainly, and didn't/couldn't move all that gracefully. I was embarassed to be seen actually trying to change all that.

It doesn't help that very often you're so self conscious about your appearance, and then some smart arse will inevitably make a comment, or shout an insult, or a make fun of you in some way. and that really hurts, especially when they're screaming fat hatred at you while you're trying to become less, or not, fat. I personally don't know a single soul who's ever felt inspired by being berated or ridiculed. If anything it makes you give up even more.

so, when you suggest he go walking with you, he knows, deep down, that you're not making fun of him or putting him down, but he's probably had abuse heaped on him so much in the past (probably very recently too), that he can't bring himself to help himself. It's psychologically scarring. Those scars are the hardest to get rid of.

Try this: say to him only once "I'm going for a walk. You want to come with me?" if he declines, then say nothing else other than, "Ok. I'll be back after while." and then go out, enjoy your walk, and when you come back don't even bring it up. Even if the walk was glorious, and you feel wonderful and saw all kinds of really cool things, he will only take it as you needling him. So just don't say anything else about it after you go out and come back.

Keep doing this. don't say anything negative about him not going; don't make a face or do that heavy dramatic sigh that so many are so good at because it implies disgust (even if that's not how you mean it, that's how he'll take it). Like I said, keep doing it, and don't make a big deal about it. It's kind of like.............when you're trying to get your kid to try, say, broccoli. The more you push, cajole, beg, pleade, hammer, pester, or try to guilt them into it, the more they will dig their heels in and refuse to try it just on principal.

It's what I call being supportive silently by example. Offer the healthy option in a simple manner:
"Would you like some broccoli?" (if no) "Ok". and go about your business
"Want to come for a walk with me?" (if no) "Ok". and go about your business

It can take a while for it to take root, but if you keep persisting in a non-aggressive, non-judgemental, non-threatening way, he's more likely to adopt the healthier habits. People generally tend to be copy cats; mostly we want to be like everyone else.

Of course it is not fail proof. Little in life is! But it's worth a shot. You can always witch tactics. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
do you 2 have any children? i think its selfish for the parents to satisfy their desire to eat like pigs and their kids suffer by losing their parents early.
This is what I always say to people. Its a tremendously horrible thing to do to your children. I know some people are lazy and are unable (or unwilling) to motivate themselves to get up and exercise and lose weight, but their children should be the greatest motivating factor to change their awful ways and try to get healthy. The owe it to their kids not to die early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss