Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times

Advertisements

I've read quite a bit of info on diet soda's and people overeating who consume them. Well I've tried to pass that info on to my s/o who drinks the stuff like water and who also can't seem to stop grazing on food all day long. It seems like the full guage is broken.

I worry about him but can't get anywhere trying to get him off the fake sugar. His Dr.s tell him diet soda is fine so he doesn't listen to me.

Can anyone give me any tips to help him stop grazing on food or get off soda or at least cut way back. I know only he can do it but it's a health issue and I'll help in any way I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
I lost my first bit of weight by switching from regular to diet soda. I really doubt that "grazing" is related to what he drinks. There are plenty of folks who drink water all day who are grazers. People who eat all day probably from what I've read are having insulin spikes from sugar (carbs). I do know that when I eat too many carbs I want more and more. I have to make myself stop. Just my two cents. I'd focus on changing the eating habit before the diet soda.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Yeah he lost an initial bit of weight switching too.

Logic would say that IF the diet soda is contributing to overeating, it might need to be addressed first or in conjunction with diet changes. So that's what I am looking at.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Aside from diet sodas contributing to overeating, diet coke has some kind of acid that can rot the enamel on your teeth. I love the stuff but after several small cavities, I decided to listen to the dental hygenist and am hoping my next checkup will be better. They did suggest Pro-enamel toothpaste and some mouthwash (can't rem. the name of it) that are supposed to help but it's better to avoid it if you can. Apparently diet ginger ales and lemon/lime diet sodas are OK. I'll still get a glass of diet coke if we go out to eat or have pizza but by and large, we have a ton less recyclable bottles these days, LOL! I do miss it but it gets easier each day, I like ice water too but it's not quite the same but I rather avoid cavities and am hoping that makes a difference.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:12 AM

I don't buy it that diet soda makes you overeat. Eating too much makes you overeat! Ha Ha! I did go on to lose 40-45 pounds and still drank some diet soda. Not a lot though. I like to have some with dinner now and then. But I still drink tea and Crystal Light. I heard the same thing about the teeth. And also problems with urinary tract irritation. But that is with all dark sodas.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:33 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I've read quite a bit of info on diet soda's and people overeating who consume them. Well I've tried to pass that info on to my s/o who drinks the stuff like water and who also can't seem to stop grazing on food all day long. It seems like the full guage is broken.
I worry about him but can't get anywhere trying to get him off the fake sugar. His Dr.s tell him diet soda is fine so he doesn't listen to me.
Can anyone give me any tips to help him stop grazing on food or get off soda or at least cut way back. I know only he can do it but it's a health issue and I'll help in any way I can.
There have been many, many articles printed regarding the dangers of drinking too much soda diet or otherwise. Soda is just not good for your body and has been reportedly guilty of creating kidney stones and if your husband ever knew any guy who passed a kidney stone he would drop soda real fast. Stones get passed through your urine and the "way out" for a stone in a guy is beyond painful.

Is your husband obese? I am and I am presently going to Weight Watchers to take the weight off. I have been blessed in that I don't have any serious health issues from my obesity but do know that my luck isn't going to last forever. Obesity creates high blood pressure, elevated sugar, back ache, leg aches, high cholesterol and more. He needs to speak with a dietician and get some sort of program that will regulate how much and when he eats. He will find that all the "grazing" will catch up to him and without him knowing it; he will look in the mirror some day like I did and be 160 pounds overweight. It is frightening.

You cannot push him into a healthy lifestyle nor nag him..he will run. Perhaps if you suggested, whether you need it or not, that the two of you make a big effort to get healthy together. Men react better to suggestion and doing things as partners than they do you perhaps saying, "I think"...or "I feel"...work with him.

Good Luck and have him read my weight loss journal that I have been putting on City Data I am letting everyone on here share with my weight loss journey and the support is phenomenal!

Conn. Pam

Old 09-30-2009, 01:24 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Diet soda makes you overeat because the fake sugars give your insulin a spike and crash just like real sugar. Sugar, table salt and processed flours trigger the body to overeat. Also the diet sodas are not as hydrating as water. When you are dehydrated some people think its hunger and get munchy. The water intake also helps your blood sugar stay more level. Level blood sugar means easier weight loss alone, plus less muchies. Dehydration also means: Slower metab up to 10%. So that can really add up in the long run and create a lot of "stalls"

What you can do it just get juice and seltzer water. Make it like a mixed drink. I like lemon/lime, cranberry, pineapple, and sometimes use those drink mixes that come in a can in concentrate(watch out for ones with added corn syrup, try to avoid those if you can). Use very little of the juice concentrate(pour it on a spoon so you don't plop it all in with calories and way too much flavor)
If he wants to sweeten it further he can use stevia. It does not play with your blood sugar or make the body excrete more water than normal. THe body can handle real fruit sugars much better than fake or plain old corn syrups.

I read that coke is trying to come out with a stevia based diet drink. There are some on the market already but I have not tried them yet.:
ZEVIA - WITH STEVIA - NATURE'S ANSWER TO DIET SODA

Old 09-30-2009, 06:20 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post

Sorry, but I drink Diet Coke, and it in no way affects what I eat. All the buzz about diet soda making people gain weight is nonsense in my opinion. It's the CRAP they eat, and the lack of discipline.

Diet coke doesn't have any SUGAR in it. The artificial sweetener used is NOT A SUGAR, and HAS NO ENERGY content. Thus, your insulin cannot be spiked by Diet Coke.

I keep asking myself why so many people want to make weight loss complicated. The only answer I can come up with is that if they admit how simple (not easy - simple) it really is, they will no longer have an excuse.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Sorry, but I drink Diet Coke, and it in no way affects what I eat. All the buzz about diet soda making people gain weight is nonsense in my opinion. It's the CRAP they eat, and the lack of discipline.

Diet coke doesn't have any SUGAR in it. The artificial sweetener used is NOT A SUGAR, and HAS NO ENERGY content. Thus, your insulin cannot be spiked by Diet Coke.

I keep asking myself why so many people want to make weight loss complicated. The only answer I can come up with is that if they admit how simple (not easy - simple) it really is, they will no longer have an excuse.

Exactly. I've read both sides of the story. There is no real evidence for diet Coke spiking your insulin. In fact, one story I saw on the news awhile back did blood testing with many people after drinking regular and diet sodas. The diet soda crowd maintained normal blood sugar. What it is is people who drink diet sodas a lot think they are cutting sugar and therefore they can consume more calories elsewhere. Take the combo meal at fast food places....Get a super sized burger and fries with a diet Coke!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Sorry but that is true. Just because it did not happen to you alone does not make it anything other than personal experience. Also there are calories in diet coke. Gov standards state that you can list zero cals if it is under 5 calories/serving and the also allow up to a 30% error in labeling of any product.

I know myself even with watching exactly what I do, the weight came off much easier with drinking water and juice only.

Diet.coke

"There is also some evidence to indicate that the consumption of diet soda triggers an insulin spike, which inhibits fat burning while the body searches for sugar that's not to be found in the bloodstream. According to some studies, the body will consume amino acids and carbohydrates as fuel, rather than fat, during a spike."

I think everyone should try it without before they knock it. IF you are drinking a lot of it you can easily tack on a 200 more calories. The only truely calorie free thing is water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss