Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 09:54 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,972 times

Advertisements

I am researching a raw food diet. Is it possible to do this diet if you are currently stuck in a hillbilly area? I also need to stay on a budget because I am currently looking for work. I am really hoping to find a job away from my hometown. It is just that I have asthma and allergies that have not gotten any better from moving back to Indiana and would love to just feel good all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I am researching a raw food diet. Is it possible to do this diet if you are currently stuck in a hillbilly area? I also need to stay on a budget because I am currently looking for work. I am really hoping to find a job away from my hometown. It is just that I have asthma and allergies that have not gotten any better from moving back to Indiana and would love to just feel good all the time.
You would be surprized that if you do eat a raw food diet, the quantity of food that you eat will be much less. Why? Because, once your body adjusts to eating that type of diet you utilize almost all of the nutrients in the food that you eat. Whereas with the SAD (Standard American Diet), only a very small percentage of the food that we consume is actually utilized.

Must of the problem with obesity and over eating today can be explained by the fact that so much of our foods are NOT nutrient dense. Therefore, you body constantly CRAVES more and more food to help satisfy it's need for nutrition. As you become more accustomed to raw food, this will change and you will find that you will have more energy, feel better and more alert eating considerably less food.

The important thing to remember is that you need to buy the best quality food that you can afford. I know that organic is expensive (and some people believe not much better/different than store bought), but I believe that it is better and healthier for you. Also, in the summer months you can certainly grow some of your own food. Even if you live in town, in an apartment, you can grow veggies indoors under a grow light or in a sunny window. Even if you have NO OTHER ALTERNATIVES you can still grow sprouts and wheat grass which will provide you with an incredible amount of nutrients.

Most places these days (even Hickville USA), is "cashing in" on the interest in locally grown foods. Check out your location on localharvest.org and see if there aren't some CSAs or other sources for good, locally grown produce. Even if you have to drive an hour or two, you are better off buying something fresh and privately grown than you are buying from the local produce department of your grocery store.

There are many good resources here on another thread that was just flying around. I would do a search for it and check out the websites and other information that was provided on that thread.

Best of luck pursuing a more healthy lifestyle.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2009, 07:21 PM

I definitely think I want to do this. I am ready to feel absolutely AWESOME.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:15 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
What do your hillbilly neighbors have to do with wether or not you cook your food?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 AM

192 posts, read 617,648 times
maybe you living in a "hillbilly" area isnt so bad....are there any farmers markets or produce stands nearby??

Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 AM

125 posts, read 212,921 times
If there aren't any Farmers markets in your area, look up Natural Food stores in your area.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
I have a small store in my town. They always have parsley, and cabbage, two of the best raw foods on the planet. A good blender helps make quick juices. Easier clean up than a regular juicer. The pulp I put in with my stir fry.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I have a small store in my town. They always have parsley, and cabbage, two of the best raw foods on the planet. A good blender helps make quick juices. Easier clean up than a regular juicer. The pulp I put in with my stir fry.

You could make a raw food pilgrimage to the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center in Patagonia, AZ.
TreeofLife
I was there in 2002 and their raw food, at that time, was amazing.
And the earth energy of the place is intense! ... if you're into that.
Also, on that web site you should find some good info on eating raw, detoxification, etc.
And are you close to Sedona?
There are many raw food folks down there.
It's very inspiring to eat at some really good raw food "establishments" and/or go to pot luck raw food meetings .... you can see what's possible.
I just plucked this site off of Google.
Your Radical Health, Sedona, Vegan, Raw Food Diet, Meetup (Sedona, AZ) - Meetup.com (http://rawfood.meetup.com/516/ - broken link)

Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
What do your hillbilly neighbors have to do with wether or not you cook your food?
The point I was trying to make is that I live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest grocery store has an extremely limited supply of anything healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss