Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:01 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times

Advertisements

Maybe for dude...but as a girl..I need to know when the pms bloat comes on or I get shocked and think I ate a bunch of stuff I forgot about...lol

It seems to keep me in check too as a few pounds go on if I am eating too much (glycogen or sodium wt) I just seem to be able to stay away from the empty and extra calories a little more easily. Its odd..like a brain switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 04:05 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Good idea.

Also, it's pretty pointless to weigh yourself more than once a week. You should also only weigh yourself first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything and after going to the bathroom if possible.
I am not sure it is pointless. It gives you a handle on day to day variation. I have been steadily loosng and have lost 15 lbs Since early October. But I know when the scale jumps [last night it jumped 2.5 lbs] that it is water retention

I walked several hours yesterday and also ate too much sodium and not enough potassium, both will add water weight. I used to freak when that happened and if it was on the one week day I weighed, would get depressed and I would go into a dangerous cyle of cutting calories and then giving up when that did not work.

Today, I know the reason for the blip and know what to do to get back on track. Journaling lets me know that I was on target there and it was all about the sodium/potassium balance.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I am not sure it is pointless. It gives you a handle on day to day variation. I have been steadily loosng and have lost 15 lbs Since early October. But I know when the scale jumps [last night it jumped 2.5 lbs] that it is water retention

I walked several hours yesterday and also ate too much sodium and not enough potassium, both will add water weight. I used to freak when that happened and if it was on the one week day I weighed, would get depressed and I would go into a dangerous cyle of cutting calories and then giving up when that did not work.

Today, I know the reason for the blip and know what to do to get back on track. Journaling lets me know that I was on target there and it was all about the sodium/potassium balance.
That's why you weigh yourself at the same time of the day and the same time of the week. Take the variables out of the equation.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:34 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Well it's not the scale. I stood on it with a gallon of water and it move the other way. I think it's like the ladies have said: I've been eating things that I haven't counted and haven't been as active as I've should have been, so my weightloss has stalled.

I need to work harder!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
That's why you weigh yourself at the same time of the day and the same time of the week. Take the variables out of the equation.
There is STILL variation even if you do just that. Water weight. You add water weight from too much sodium, or you can add it from a strenous workout. You can loose weight artificially if you dump your glycogen and don't refuel but it will come back. Knowing the background variation is good.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
There is STILL variation even if you do just that. Water weight. You add water weight from too much sodium, or you can add it from a strenous workout.
That's why it's done first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything.

Quote:
You can loose weight artificially if you dump your glycogen and don't refuel but it will come back. Knowing the background variation is good.
I know. The diet I'm on right now focuses on glycogen quite a bit.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
That's why it's done first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything.

I know. The diet I'm on right now focuses on glycogen quite a bit.
Bosco, I do exactly the same thing and see variation. ...... I also wake up at about the same time each day. Routine = wake up, pee, step on scale. A certain amount of variation is normal. For a premenopausal woman it will be a lot more than a man or postmenopausal [which I am] woman.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:16 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
If you want to weigh yourself once a day or once a week, I do not see the harm in either approach. Do what works for you as an individual to lose or maintain your weight. No big deal. There is no "one size fits all" approach here.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:20 AM

36 posts, read 91,900 times
I use a digital scale which I keep inside my bathroom. When I was on a weight loss program, checking my weight is one of my daily morning routines.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:03 PM

30 posts, read 73,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Well it's not the scale. I stood on it with a gallon of water and it move the other way. I think it's like the ladies have said: I've been eating things that I haven't counted and haven't been as active as I've should have been, so my weight loss has stalled.

I need to work harder!
On that case, I agree with you that your weight loss might be have reached its saturation point. Switch to another diet program and look for other activities that burns more calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss